Cultivated Reef

Swoufy's Red Sea Reefer 170!

swoufy

Hi everyone, been a lurker on this forum for a few weeks and recently decided to make an account.

I've read a lot of material, faqs, and other member's builds and I want to kick things off in a RSR 170, but I just want some clarification from the community. I've owned a reef tank in the past so I'm not totally clueless on reefs, but I am nowhere near an expert. My old reef tank ended poorly because of a combination of me being impatient/cheap equipment/just being clueless. So now I want to do things correctly.

I bought dry reef rock from Reef Cleaners after seeing positive feedback from them. I'm going to cycle the tank with 20# of Fiji Pink Live Sand and 45# of the dry rock. I see some people talk about curing the live rock before putting in a tank. From my understanding this is so the rock undergoes a mini-cycle so it doesn't damage an established tank, but this shouldn't affect me since I'm starting a completely new tank correct?

Additionally how do you guys run your equipment? I've seen some nasty horror stories where a guy's power strip gets soaked in salt water and sets on fire, causing thousands of dollars of damage. My plan is to install a GFCI on the outlet I'm running the reef from and mounting the power strip upside down with command strips on the inside of my stand. Does this seem like a solid solution? Suggestions?

Finally, when would you add livestock such as anemones/coral? I know some of the more experienced reefers have started new tanks and put in corals right as it finished cycling, however I also know people recommend that a tank becomes more "established".

I appreciate any suggestions/tips/advice!

And just in case anyone is curious my equipment is as follows:

Tank/Sump/Stand: Red Sea Reefer 170

Lighting: Nanobox Duo

Skimmer: Reef Octopus 110 SSS

Return Pump: Sicce Syncra 2.0

Powerhead: Ecotech MP10wQD

Heater: Cobalt Neotherm 150W

Rock: 45# Reef Cleaner's Dry Florida Rock

Sand: 20# CaribSea Fiji Pink

"Curing" the live rock is for any die off that may be on it. If there is any, it will just lengthen the tank's cycle time. You can add corals once the tank's cycle is complete (ammonia and nitrite is 0 and nitrates are below 10). Of course patience always helps too. Don't rush it. Good luck. Keep us updated. And welcome!

HarryPotter

Solid plan on electrical. *I have a reefer 350 and LOVE IT. The design is the same so let me know if you have any questions or need some ideas.

Solid plan on electrical. *I have a reefer 350 and LOVE IT. The design is the same so let me know if you have any questions or need some ideas.

Nice! What do you do with filtration? Do you use chemipure/purigen or anything like that?

HarryPotter

Nice! What do you do with filtration? Do you use chemipure/purigen or anything like that?

Filtration I use the red sea filter socks, a skimmer, and an IM MiniMax Reactor. Works fantastic for me :)

Filtration I use the red sea filter socks, a skimmer, and an IM MiniMax Reactor. Works fantastic for me :)

Sounds good. I'll probably end up picking up a reactor once my tank becomes more developed. Have you had good experiences with the one from IM?

• 1 month later...

I have pracrically the exact same setup : )

Its a great tank. As a first time reefer, my only advice is go slow. Fully cycle. Dont over feed. I may cut back to once a day feeding or even every other day. Get a timer for lights. I always forget to turn em off and then had alvea start growing. Personally i saw once i added a small brs mini reactor my water looked cleaner. I mix the gfo and carbon in the one mini reactor.

Currently battling dinos.. arggg..

Also battling calcium and alk which are swinging like crazy. Would suggest not adding sps for a year. This way you wont need to dose. I spent so much money on sps and as a newbie cant keep em alive. What a waste.

The mp10 is great. But looking back. I would have rather got two cheaper pumps instead for increased flow as with my rockscape i get dead spots and a little cyano on those spots. Make sure the magnets are strong as my mp10 lately keeps falling off : /

Yes i did. Its great and indeed quiet. Easy to open up and clean.

If you havent yet, check out youtube, vivid aquariums has a series on their reefer 170 build. Few others too. Vivid out a ball valve after the siicd to help control it. Which i did too. But in hind site i dont think its really needed since the siice has a adjustment knob.

TurboBrick

Isn't the syncra 2.0 already just about the perfect flow for the 170? Do you find yourself having to turn it down?

Yes it is. I was just afraid it might be too much. So wanted a bit more control. But its not really needed and i may jist take it out.

Archived