Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jims 28g nano SPS orgy..and cookies

jimmyree

Fooled ya, new tank. No orgy or cookies here!

Updated FTS 12 Jun 2016:

20160612_154802_zpsqzuhwrrv.jpg

FTS 13 Apr 2016

cd760d64-8cc3-4383-9693-10836074680b_zps

Been lurking for a couple of years (that's dedicated lurking) and finally decided to pull the trigger on a nano-reef. I kept many a freshwater aquarium over my life and then dabbled in saltwater aquariums for a few years. I hit my peak at a 180 gallon shark aquarium which was going well until I went off to fight a war and my room-mates won the war of ineptitude back home killing a couple of thousand dollars worth of livestock (probably topping off the tank from a keg of beer). I decided aquariums was a bad hobby for the transient military lifestyle and quit the hobby for many years. So a few years after retiring from the military and feeling fairly confident my new job isn't going to move me too soon i've decided to start a reef tank.

I went with a new JBJ 28g nano-cube because the stand is AMAZING!

post-91064-0-49453300-1460599029_thumb.jpg

Oh wait, that's my vise stand but it looks the same. So, I lied I absolutely did not want the JBJ stand.

I found a good deal on just the tank online, went with the intermediate because I knew first thing I was going to do is rip the hood off and levitate a Radion XR30 above it.

So, here's my list:

• JBJ 28G Nano
  • Home built stand
  • Radion xr30 Pro (got a great ebay deal on one 6 mo's old. Works great)
  • Ecotech MP-10wQD
  • Reeflink (another great ebay deal)
  • 2 Cobalt MJ-900 return pumps (noisy pump war won! No more sump twister!)
  • Ecotech RMS light mount, the dual one.
  • 1/15 hp Chiller (live close to Death Valley, insane temp swings here and house sometimes up around 85 degrees)
  • Bunch o test kits
  • RODI unit
  • 28 lbs "real reef" live rock
  • 28 lbs Natures Ocean live sand
  • Milwaukee Digital Refractometer
  • Tunze ozmilator mini ATO (not hooked up yet, debating)
  • A metric ton of blue/white bonded filter floss
  • In-tank brand media basket
  • Awesome acrylic tank top from smiz
  • Living stuff
  • Rash on both arms from spending three hours with my arms shoved down the back of this midget trap trying to get those god awful MJ 900's to shut up.
  • Bottle empty of apple flavored Jim Beam to soothe pump warfare rash

Maybe:

• Controller
  • Doser
  • Dead stuff
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now just waiting for tank to cycle, might start ghost feeding this weekend if no rise in Ammonia. Although, I did receive my rock on a Tuesday in the middle of a brutal work week and it sat in tank in saltwater with circulation and heat for 4 days before I started testing, so I may have already had a bit of a cycle. Here's the real tank. Excuse my pics, cell camera and my lights were on their purple phase when I took them.

post-91064-0-14141700-1460603155_thumb.jpg

post-91064-0-17498600-1460602958_thumb.jpg

post-91064-0-89810000-1460603458_thumb.jpg

Chiller, chillin in the background. I'll add a shelf in here when I figure out what size RO/DI and dosing containers I want down here. And I may eventually clean up this mess as well.

Ordered my in-tank media basket today, and figured out how to load pictures properly :D. Some random pics from different angles. Got some color on my rocks and some life forms going on. I know I need to clean my glass but i refuse to until I win the battle with these stupid return pumps, everytime I attack I make a big ol mess and lose a gallon of water shoving my arm down the sump. Not seeing any rise in readings so I dropped a piece of shrimp in today to test my bio filter, if the numbers don't shoot through the roof I may be ready to add some CUC critters.

20160414_004929_zpsrdjkddwr.jpg

20160414_005124_zpsjrjtggpf.jpg

20160414_005343_zpse8qdlbc4.jpg

20160414_005610_zpseapck7sc.jpg

20160414_004820_zpstisz0k8a.jpg

20160414_004851_zps34awxvex.jpg

Good beginnings! Have fun and welcome!

Thanks Rural, your tank is amazing, makes me want to glue all my rocks to the back wall!

I was told there would be cookies ... I leave disappointed

Cookies for everyone when I win July 2023 TOTM!

This title cracked me up - and your sense of humor did as well :)

Love the rock you started with - it is so full of life! Looking good and I'm looking forward to following. Don't listen to JBB - his bark is worse than his bite.

reefernanoman

Fooled ya, new tank. No orgy or cookies here!

cd760d64-8cc3-4383-9693-10836074680b_zps

Been lurking for a couple of years (that's dedicated lurking) and finally decided to pull the trigger on a nano-reef. I kept many a freshwater aquarium over my life and then dabbled in saltwater aquariums for a few years. I hit my peak at a 180 gallon shark aquarium which was going well until I went off to fight a war and my room-mates won the war of ineptitude back home killing a couple of thousand dollars worth of livestock (probably topping off the tank from a keg of beer). I decided aquariums was a bad hobby for the transient military lifestyle and quit the hobby for many years. So a few years after retiring from the military and feeling fairly confident my new job isn't going to move me too soon i've decided to start a reef tank.

I went with a new JBJ 28g nano-cube because the stand is AMAZING!

attachicon.gifrsz_20160408_004107 (1).jpg

Oh wait, that's my vise stand but it looks the same. So, I lied I absolutely did not want the JBJ stand.

I found a good deal on just the tank online, went with the intermediate because I knew first thing I was going to do is rip the hood off and levitate a Radion XR30 above it.

So, here's my list:

JBJ 28G Nano

Home built stand

Radion xr30 Pro (got a great ebay deal on one 6 mo's old. Works great)

Ecotech MP-10wQD

Reeflink (another great ebay deal)

2 MJ-900 pumps to replace stock (hate em, noisy vibrating POS's)

Ecotech RMS light mount (not JBJ nanocube safe despite what ecotech says about mounting on rimmed aquariums, taking it off as soon as I get anything else to mount my light)

1/15 hp Chiller (live close to Death Valley, insane temp swings here and house sometimes up around 85 degrees)

Bunch o test kits

RODI unit

28 lbs "real reef" live rock

28 lbs Natures Ocean live sand

Milwaukee Digital Refractometer

Tunze ozmilator mini ATO (not hooked up yet, debating)

A metric ton of blue/white bonded filter floss

Rash on both arms from spending three hours with my arms shoved down the back of this midget trap trying to get those god awful MJ 900's to shut up.

Soon:

In-tank brand media basket

Maybe:

Controller

Doser

Good start! Check out my nanocube 28G. Good luck!

Good start! Check out my nanocube 28G. Good luck!

Oh, ive seen your tank. Them plates are big enough to hold cookies! Very nice work. Thanks for looking, hope mine can be as nice some day.

This title cracked me up - and your sense of humor did as well :)

Love the rock you started with - it is so full of life! Looking good and I'm looking forward to following. Don't listen to JBB - his bark is worse than his bite.

Stella your tank thread is hilarious, thanks for the comment and stopping by. Since you were so nice, and a woman, you get first cookies.

Stella your tank thread is hilarious, thanks for the comment and stopping by. Since you were so nice, and a woman, you get first cookies.

:happydance: take that, JBB!!!!

In all seriousness I am liking your setup! Great start!

reefernanoman

Oh, ive seen your tank. Them plates are big enough to hold cookies! Very nice work. Thanks for looking, hope mine can be as nice some day.

I'm sure it will. It just takes time and patience.

Went to my LFS yesterday (322 miles round trip) to pick up a pair of clowns. Came home with a pair of Premium Picasso clowns, a neon cleaner goby, a birdsnest, 1 polyp of Rasta Zoa, and 1 polyp of Valentines Day Massacre Zoa. I totally went with the mindset "i'm not gonna be that guy and overload my tank right away" but the shopkeeper wouldn't stop giving me free stuff. Maybe because I ordered my liverock through him and we have spoken on the phone several times so he knew how far I had to come. Maybe because he just loves the hobby and wants to share his passion. I think both, he's a great guy and obviously loves his critters in his shop. All the fish are babies and that little cleaner is smaller than a toothpick, so I don't think the bioload is too high. Gonna daily test and keep a close eye on my water parameters though, don't wanna kill anything through negligence. After doing 6 hours of vehicular battle on southern California freeways yesterday im kinda drained this morning, and the metal in my leg is throbbing (it don't like driving) gonna do some chores around the house (yes I have been neglecting everything non tank). Will get some pics and put up later.

ATTENTION CUC DEPARTMENT, MANAGEMENT HAS BEEN WATCHING AND WITNESSED YOUR ATTEMPTS TO ESCAPE AND SLACK OFF. WE ARE IMPLEMENTING THE FOLLOWING MEASURE TO ENSURE YOUR SAFETY AND HAVE HIGH HOPES THAT YOU WILL EVENTUALLY EAT SOME ALGAE. DO YOUR JOB OR BE REPLACED. JIMS NANO SPS ORGY..AND COOKIES IS A NON-UNION WORKPLACE AND NO WE WILL NOT RAISE YOUR MINIMUM WAGE UNTIL WE SEE RESULTS. SEE BELOW FOR NEW ANTI-SLACKER PREVENTION MEASURE:

072_zpswkjvdaom.jpg

THAT IS ALL, BACK TO WORK!

reefernanoman

ATTENTION CUC DEPARTMENT, MANAGEMENT HAS BEEN WATCHING AND WITNESSED YOUR ATTEMPTS TO ESCAPE AND SLACK OFF. WE ARE IMPLEMENTING THE FOLLOWING MEASURE TO ENSURE YOUR SAFETY AND HAVE HIGH HOPES THAT YOU WILL EVENTUALLY EAT SOME ALGAE. DO YOUR JOB OR BE REPLACED. JIMS NANO SPS ORGY..AND COOKIES IS A NON-UNION WORKPLACE AND NO WE WILL NOT RAISE YOUR MINIMUM WAGE UNTIL WE SEE RESULTS. SEE BELOW FOR NEW ANTI-SLACKER PREVENTION MEASURE:

072_zpswkjvdaom.jpg

Man that cover sure looks SEXY.

Long overdue for an update, first current FTS. Once again sorry about the blue, that's where my lighting schedule is at when I get home from work and I don't like messing with it. Trying to give my critters a couple of weeks to stress down. Also forgive my plastic chunks, coraline algae boosters from IPSF (had to try em).

20160425_224340_zpst1dvpuwb.jpg

As you can see I have a small GHA garden growing, i'm not stressing it too badly it seems to have hit it's peak and the CUC along with some pulling every water change seems to be helping it recede.

HarryPotter

072_zpswkjvdaom.jpg

:lol: love it

Went through some new tank syndrome in the last two weeks. Had some Mag and Calcium depression but with some water changes and light dosing (Mag first of course) got everything stable in the sweet zone. One of my clowns also never acclimated properly and starved itself to death, other clown is eating fairly well and showing no signs of sickness although he has picked a back corner as his favorite spot which is annoying. Cleaner Goby is ravenous, devouring anything I throw in the tank, sometimes shrimp half his size.

Smile you grouchy little bastard:

20160425_224317_zps1slycu2k.jpg

20160425_224318_zps6bodnuzw.jpg

You'd be PO'd all the time too if you had this guy (10x your size) stepping in your face all day:

20160425_224433_zpsagletvib.jpg

But I think it might be growing another polyp, either that or it has a fart bubble trapped under it's skin.

20160425_232207_zpslapufdlf.jpg

This guy was browning up on the sandbed and I'm sure the water parameters were pissing him off as well. Moved him up into the scorching sun and he is looking much better now, color returning and one branch that started to STN looks like its growing back:

20160425_224644_zpsqtqyxmv6.jpg

Got rid of my RMS single mount, way too dangerous on a plastic rimmed nano IMO and went with the dual mount. At only twice the cost, what a deal! I do like it much more but I need to take the crossbar to the machine shop and get them to trim off the excess metal sticking out of the sides at the top so it doesn't look like its gonna fly away:

20160425_224155_zpst2gzob1u.jpg

Archived