Top Shelf Aquatics

Kurupt's | Red Sea Reefer Nano | DEC UPDATE

KuruptPixel

KuruptPixel

PAST: I had my standard 10G (build thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/364353-the-kurupt-10g-build/) going and everything was looking good and I was happy with what was happening. Then it boned me. The HOB AC's started to gurgle over randomly and water built up under the stand. It happened slowly so I never noticed anything wrong, until it started to leak out from under the stand. I had to act fast or lose the wife's support for this (not expensive at all) hobby. If I ruined the hardwood floors it would be a hard sell to get back up and running.

I dug out and set up my old Fluval SpecV and threw the Fluval 206 canister I had on it. Got that up to temp and transferred rock, corals and inverts over. It was a very tight fit but it was only temporary. Moving the stand, which laid flat along the floor, it was worse than I thought! Way more water than I'd like to see soaking into the wood! Got to it in time though so there wasn't any real damage.

Now, my original plan was to just break it down, dry the floor and put it all back together. That seemed like a LOT of work to do and NOT upgrade... I had plans to do so but not for a while. Thankfully I knew what I wanted so I called my LFS to see if they had anymore Reefer's in stock. One left. White. "Done. I'll be there in 15 mins."

So that's what happened early one Wednesday morning to my 10G tank. RIP lil' guy.

• Like 2
KuruptPixel

So I picked up the Red Sea Reefer Nano. This thing is a beast! I love it! Very well made! Sump, ATO all glass. I was expecting the display to be nice but maybe an acrylic sump and ATO container. They didn't cheap out, not that it's a cheap option but you get what you pay for. I'm impressed.

Anyways, here's the specs. Some of which are carried over from the 10G.

Red Sea Reefer Nano

DISPLAY: 21G - 18"x18"x18" (Total System: 28G)

SUMP: 7G

ATO RES: 1.2G

LIGHTING: Kessil A160W//Gooseneck//90 Degree Adapter.

SKIMMER: Bubble Magus Curve 5.

REACTOR: Reef Octopus Media Reactor (running Reef Octopus Bio-Pellets) - BRS 5" Media Reactor (Running Carbon/GFO).

MEDIA: BRS ROX 0.8 Carbon and GFO//14 MarinePure Spheres//2 MarinePure Plates.

HEATER: NeoTherm 75W.

FLOW: EcoTech Vortech MP10wQD (x2). 3 Hydor 425's in the sump for circulation. (1 in the intake section. 1 in the main section. 1 in the return section.)

RETURN: Sicce Syncra Silent Pump 2.0. (I plumbed a Union//Ball valve out of the pump and into the return hose so I can easily clean/replace the pump when needed. Also control the flow.)

SUBSTRATE: Carib Sea Arag-Alive Reef Sand (20Lbs.)

CONTROLLER: Neptune Apex - Lab Grade probes - WXM Module - LSM Module.

LIVESTOCK: Full Moon Crater Clownfish//Picasso Clownfish//Tailspot Blenny

OTHERS: Various Snails//Various Hermit Crabs(Halloween, Blue Leg, Lend Hand)//Orange Lip Conch//Cleaner Shrimp.

So far so good. I love the look of this thing. It's very slick and clean. It's also dead silent once it's tuned in. I was worried about it being loud since it's in our bedroom but it's perfect. Even with the return pump, skimmer, reactor pump and a small Eheim Compact 300 in the sump to keep everything moving it's pretty silent when the door is closed. Just a nice low hum of everything working well. I think I have been sleeping better!

Pics and video to come!

• Like 2
KuruptPixel

* I will say I would have gotten the 170 or 250 but the 170 was a bit too long for the space I had for it. This Nano fit perfect and is a smaller footprint than my 10G setup. The upgrade was supposed to wait until we upgraded houses so I'd have more of a 'Fish Room' and could just get a 250 but this'll do Donkey, this'll do.

** That'll still be the plan... this Nano can go in a bathroom or something!

• Like 2

I have a similar setup. What pvc parts were needed to control the flow from the return pump? I think the Sicce Syncra 2.0 maybe a little to strong for the system. This is my first tank with a sump and I'm trying to get it right and not worry about the floor!

KuruptPixel

I have a similar setup. What pvc parts were needed to control the flow from the return pump? I think the Sicce Syncra 2.0 maybe a little to strong for the system. This is my first tank with a sump and I'm trying to get it right and not worry about the floor!

The pipe layout: 3/4" x 1/2" thread x slip reducer (screws into the pump) - Pipe - Union - Pipe - Ball Valve - Pipe - Barb. I only used 1/2" PVC because all my bits and parts I had laying around were 1/2".

This is also my first sump tank! I honestly can't see how this system can overflow though to be honest. With everything draining over the sump even if a pipe leaks it goes into the sump and thats big enough to catch it all. The only way this thing really leaks is if the actual glass springs one. It lowers my stress levels haha.

I wasn't going to do a 'build' thread for this because it's not really building anything but I was having a hard time finding anyone else with these Reefer's, especially the Nanos or 170's. I think the pump is perfect. I actually bought it and then later on found a few things on what people were using and it was actually the same pump. Also, I added the ball valve set up in case it was too strong but I have it running full blast and it's great. In fact, if I were to get a new one I might get a model up and tune it down through the ball valve.

• Like 1

The pipe layout: 3/4" x 1/2" thread x slip reducer (screws into the pump) - Pipe - Union - Pipe - Ball Valve - Pipe - Barb. I only used 1/2" PVC because all my bits and parts I had laying around were 1/2".

This is also my first sump tank! I honestly can't see how this system can overflow though to be honest. With everything draining over the sump even if a pipe leaks it goes into the sump and thats big enough to catch it all. The only way this thing really leaks is if the actual glass springs one. It lowers my stress levels haha.

I wasn't going to do a 'build' thread for this because it's not really building anything but I was having a hard time finding anyone else with these Reefer's, especially the Nanos or 170's. I think the pump is perfect. I actually bought it and then later on found a few things on what people were using and it was actually the same pump. Also, I added the ball valve set up in case it was too strong but I have it running full blast and it's great. In fact, if I were to get a new one I might get a model up and tune it down through the ball valve.

The issue I'm having is the water level in the return pump section. It seems to settle at 5 1/2 in. rather than 6 in.. Thinking about using Smart Aqua Micro ATO to keep the level constant. Just didn't like the fluctuations of the return section due to valve adjustment or pump adjustment.

KuruptPixel

The issue I'm having is the water level in the return pump section. It seems to settle at 5 1/2 in. rather than 6 in.. Thinking about using Smart Aqua Micro ATO to keep the level constant. Just didn't like the fluctuations of the return section due to valve adjustment or pump adjustment.

I agree the return chamber fluctuates more than I'd like but it always covers the pump so I'm not too concerned about it. I turned up the drip rate from the ATO. You can adjust the float valve as well to a higher position.

I am still tuning it as well so I'll let it go for a bit longer to see if I can manage it otherwise I will probably throw in an after market ATO.

I agree the return chamber fluctuates more than I'd like but it always covers the pump so I'm not too concerned about it. I turned up the drip rate from the ATO. You can adjust the float valve as well to a higher position.

I am still tuning it as well so I'll let it go for a bit longer to see if I can manage it otherwise I will probably throw in an after market ATO.

Thanks, I adjusted the drip rate and will monitor the level and salinity.

• Like 1
KuruptPixel

Finally had some time to go through some (phone) photos!

Fluval Spec V emergency holding tank.

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_009.jpg

Stashing the old rock with a power head and heater. In all the commotion I forgot to locate the emerald crab so he lived in there for a tub with the rock.

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_012.jpg

Fluval 206 canister and Marine Orbit LEDs for the roof. They hung out in here for about a week.

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_010.jpg

They got a good hit of early morning sun to start the days and I think they enjoyed it immensely!

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_018.jpg

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_019.jpg

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_017.jpg

• Like 6
KuruptPixel

Really like the sunlight pic. I have to imagine the corals love that.

Yeah they did! I monitored it the first day just to make sure it wasn't going to roast them but then work got in the way. They were plump and happy for sure.

KuruptPixel

Unloaded and waiting...

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_011.jpg

Kinda like Ikea but thick and sturdy as if it could actually hold something!

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_013.jpg

Had to run to my OTHER LFS to grab a return pump and sand.

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_014.jpg

I am very impressed with this thing. I couldn't unpack it fast enough!

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_015.jpg

Stacked.

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_016.jpg

• Like 1
KuruptPixel

And some real photos!

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_004.jpg

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_002.jpg

The old tank was in the same location and I love it because it gets a ton of natural light but no direct sun at all.

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_003.jpg

FTS April 2016.

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_001.jpg

• Like 4
KuruptPixel

Some sump action...

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_005.jpg

I had to throw in the IceCap fan yesterday because we have been having some super high temps here in Vancouver for spring. It worked great though! Kept the cabinet nice and cool and it's silent.

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_008.jpg

Ball valve for the return pump in case I needed to tone it down a bit. It's on a union so I can pop it off for cleaning easy enough as well.

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_007.jpg

Put in some LED puck lights, highly recommended!

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_006.jpg

• Like 1
KuruptPixel

Everything doing well so far...

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_021.jpg

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_027.jpg

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_026.jpg

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_025.jpg

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_023.jpg

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_020.jpg

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_022.jpg

KuruptReeferNano_April2016_024.jpg

Needed to add onto my CUC so I ended up getting a few snails and an Orange Lipped Conch. This guy is hilarious! He is keeping the sand spotless as well! Will get a pic up soon...

• Like 9

Quick question from someone new. I too have the Reefer Nano, You setup is killer. Two questions, first on the Bubble Mag Curve 5, the manual suggests a water depth of 9.5 to 11 inches. The sump section of the NANO IS 7.5 inches and your is sitting on egg create. Noob question of the day, shouldn't the skimmer be sitting in the recommended depth for max performance or does it not matter?

Second, pump question. Red Sea recommends a flow rate of 530gph for the Nano return pump. The Syncra 2.0 delivers 586gph but with a head pressure of 4 feet that number is reduced to 330gph. Would it have made more sense to go with Syncra 3.0 or better?

KuruptPixel

Quick question from someone new. I too have the Reefer Nano, You setup is killer. Two questions, first on the Bubble Mag Curve 5, the manual suggests a water depth of 9.5 to 11 inches. The sump section of the NANO IS 7.5 inches and your is sitting on egg create. Noob question of the day, shouldn't the skimmer be sitting in the recommended depth for max performance or does it not matter?

Second, pump question. Red Sea recommends a flow rate of 530gph for the Nano return pump. The Syncra 2.0 delivers 586gph but with a head pressure of 4 feet that number is reduced to 330gph. Would it have made more sense to go with Syncra 3.0 or better?

Thanks! Honestly, this is my first sump'd tank and my first skimmer so I am kinda just going with what is working so far, haha. It's in about 5.5" of water on top of the egg crate. I have it at about the '1' setting so it's opened up more but it's making some nice juice so I am less inclined to change it if it ain't broke. Down the road I may rework the egg crate/sphere set up and drop the skimmer to see what that extra 2" does.

As for the pump, I put a ball valve on it so I could adjust flow if I needed. Right now it's running at max and the flow is great. If I got the 3.0 I'd have to pull the flow back for sure. A lot of the 170's I have found are using the 2.0 as well so I figured it would be cool in the Nano.

I'm not an expert on any of this so don't listen to me haha. It's all working well though so far and I'm really happy with it! Enjoy your Reefer as well!! Good luck!

KuruptPixel

Dude you have an awesome tank. My nano is still empty and I am trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks for sharing

Thanks man! This 'hobby' can be very intimidating! And by hobby I mean - Obsession haha. Get that thing wet!

KuruptPixel

So when I got home from work last night I noticed my brain pounding back the cleaner shrimps fresh shed. Is this gonna be an issue? Haha It ate the entire thing.

2016-05-03%2021.39.07.jpg

Just keeping the tank clean. BTW nice tank, I love the red sea tanks and if I didn't have a high schoolers budget I would have thought about buying one instead if Stella'a biocube :lol:

• Like 1
KuruptPixel

Just keeping the tank clean. BTW nice tank, I love the red sea tanks and if I didn't have a high schoolers budget I would have thought about buying one instead if Stella'a biocube :lol:

Thanks! Haha yeah but I am glad I started off small and cheap. It's less painful if things tank!

The addiction is real yo.

2016-05-06%2008.40.30.jpg

KuruptPixel

The Easter Bunny came yesterday. I love that guy. Unfortunately, I have been working 7 days a week and have 10 days left on this show and then it's 5-6 weeks Hiatus! It means I have to wait a week or so before I dig into any of this and actually get it running! :(

And yeah, I also got a label maker. I am getting tired of following cords into dark places filled with electricity.

2016-05-14%2009.19.05.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1