Cultivated Reef

How much is too much sand in BC29?

L.bacchus88

L.bacchus88

Hey guys, I have a BC29 and I want to put a Jawfish in it- so I put a crap load of sand in it (or so I think) I have 4 full inches of sand, and I hate the way it looks! Haha. I have my rock sitting on the glass, so the stand is starting to take away from the rock..does this look like too much sand? Or anything else you guys suggest I do or not do? Is this Jawfish more trouble than it's worth

post-90663-0-64668900-1460566294_thumb.jpeg

L.bacchus88

That's what I was thinking, I just didn't want to have too much and have any issues with hydrogen sulfide or whatever haha I'm still a noob so I don't really know the norms. I just honestly hate how it looks with so much. Maybe I'll take some out and leave one side packed high. Thanks!

Also, will they find the shells and junk throughout the tank, or do I have to make them a pile? Lol

yeah! They'll figure all that jazz out! Literally just gave mine a decent mound of sand, and a hut, and some nice building blocks for their burrow. They did the rest

And you can absolutely take some out, like I said I just made sure they had one section of deep sand to burrow.

I took some smaller rocks and built a retaining wall across the front. Behind the retaining wall is thick sand. In front of it, just enough sand to cover the bottom and look nice. This avoids the ugly sand against the glass look.

L.bacchus88

Yeah, I've seen those, but I don't think it's very natural for them. They prefer to be vertical and look at their surroundings. I'm just going to make the back of the tank high sand and they can do what they want. Lol I put a bunch of rock rubble and shells for them to have at.

Archived