ReefCleaners.org

Nuvo 20 cycling question?

Drewposi

So I'm on day 12 of my new cycle of the nuvo 20 reef I've put together. I used the shrimp technique for about 48 hours as well as using a marineland bacteria product designed to "instantly cycle" a new tank.

I did not test water levels for the first 9 days due to a death in the family and not having time to get a quality water testing kit.

I have one now on day 12 and my numbers look like this.

Ammonia - .25 to .50

Nitrite - 4 to 5

Nitrate - 5-10

PH - 7.8

Now my question is does this seem right for only 12 days? It sucks that I wasn't able to test after the shrimp decayed for 2 days. I took the shrimp out on day 5 and fired up the Ghost desktop skimmer. The water is crystal clear but I've got no algae growing at all..

I'm concerned that I didn't get an amonia spike. I've never used this bacteria stuff and didn't know if it was possible for the cycle could be this close done after only 12 days.

HELP! I feel like I'm over thinking the whole thing what do you think?!?!

Your cycle is currently working.

The bottled bacteria which consists of bacteria consuming ammonia and nitrite are doing their job. Let your bacteria consume all of the ammonia and nitrite.

Once your parameters are:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrates: (5-10) + (Whatever is produced in the next couple days)

Your cycle will be complete.

At this point, I would recommend a water change to reduce the nitrates to about 5-10 ppm. Nitrates are much harder to remove as it is hard to produce the environment for nitrate consuming bacteria and because it is hard, most tanks have very little nitrate consuming bacteria. You will need to research up on what method you would like to use to remove nitrates.

You're just over thinking bro, no worries. The process will take a while, so just continue to change the water and test.

Don't let algae be an indicator of your cycle either! You're definitely on the right track. The fact that you have ammonia in your tank is a great start, and even better that you've got it coming on the down. Best of luck

Yea. I'm hoping its on the way down. I could be wrong because I never checked it right after the shrimp was in there. Could be on the way up guess I'll just have to keep checking. Thanks for all the responses!

So did another test tonight. Amonia at 0!! Nitrites off the chart (higher than 5 ppm) and Nitrate is like 30-40!! Only on like day 15 or so. Should I do a little 5 gallon change to get those down or just let it roll? Also I've been adding a pinch of flakes every couple days should I stop that till I add my CUC? Again I've been out of the game for awhile need some help! Thanks!

WTF!! did a water change last night. And now today tanks all cloudy and Amonia is back testing at .5 ppm! Wtf is going on..

Maybe a bacterial bloom? Patience is key here.

Yea I know it just sucks! I'm thinking maybe the water I used. Used my filtered tap water but didn't condition it. That's probably the culprit.

You shouldn't do a water chsnge during a cycle. You disturbed the cycle and its starting again.

A Water changes should be done once ammonia and nitrites are at 0, then test for another week.

If after that those 2 remain at zero, then the cycle is done

So quick question. I had to move this weekend. I'm in my new place now and got the tank back setup. I drained the majority of the water into 2 6 gallon jugs and moved it across town. Set it back up about an hour after taking it down and let it clear up for a couple hours.

I then did another test and amonia still at 0 and Nitrites and STILL lingering around 1-2 ppm. With moving the tank and disturbing everything did I screw anything up?

So you set the tank couldn't test the first 9 days.

Then the ammonia and nitrite dropped to zero. You then did a water change and it went back up.

You then moved the tank and now have nitrites reappearing.

When you started cycling what did you do to get the cycle started?

How much liverock do you have in the tank?

Its a fairly new tank and moving a newly cycled tank may have spiked a mini cycle.

Archived