Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cleanup crew/fish question

fgeer85

I just started cycling my first 20 gallon tank. I was wondering if I should get a clean up crew at the same time as my first fish, or one before the other. I plan on getting 3 fish tops. Definitely 1 or 2 clowns. Also what types of clean up guys should i think about?

its probably too soon to start worrying about the clean up crew (CUC). Once diatoms start showing up on the sand is a ggod time to start testing the water. Also depends what is in the tank, if it's plain white dry base rock or if it was established rock that was wet the hole time etc...

The rock was wet the whole time...

I'd still give it a week-10 days. No point getting a CUC if there isn't any algae for them to eat :)

I used mostly wet rock and my cycle was shorter than the average.

Reefcleaners.org is a good great place for cleanup crews. Theres a package section that you pretty much pick your tank size from, John did all the math based on tank sand surface area and glass size for each crew so its an easy choice. I got mine from him two months ago and every last snail is still alive!

Patience is number one. Not over feeding is number two.. Theres good help here. A lot of online forums can be pretty critical but i dont see that here.

I agree that it's still too soon.

Make sure that there's enough to "clean up" to keep the crew alive.

On one build I added the CUC too early and lost almost all of it...

I Got a "Custom" CUC from https://www.reefcleaners.org/

I simply filled out the questionnaire, Gave some specifics and also attached some pictures of my Tank.

John was super cool and the transaction was great.

U won't go wrong using Reefcleaners. But, as others have said, ur just starting ur tank, give it time and, I know it is hard to look at an empty tank, but, PATIENCE...Patience will be ur best ally :)

What all do you have on your tank equipment wise?

I have a 20 gallon tank, a Fluval Sea Pro Full Spectrum LED light, Aqua Clear power filter, and a Marina 100w heater. I also bought the sand, live rock, and salt from the store. The guy at the store knew we were clueless so hopefully I didn't get screwed too hard.

I Got a "Custom" CUC from https://www.reefcleaners.org/

I simply filled out the questionnaire, Gave some specifics and also attached some pictures of my Tank.

John was super cool and the transaction was great.

U won't go wrong using Reefcleaners. But, as others have said, ur just starting ur tank, give it time and, I know it is hard to look at an empty tank, but, PATIENCE...Patience will be ur best ally :)

Thanks!!

I have a 20 gallon tank, a Fluval Sea Pro Full Spectrum LED light, Aqua Clear power filter, and a Marina 100w heater. I also bought the sand, live rock, and salt from the store. The guy at the store knew we were clueless so hopefully I didn't get screwed too hard.

Thanks!!

Nice! Everything there is alright to start with. The light isn't great, but should be able to grow some hardy corals. Any of the harder to keep stuff will need to be in the the top half of your tank and real close to the light in order for it to do well (since the light is not that strong.) Did you use RODI water to mix your water to start with? And are you using a refractometer or a swing arm hydrometer to measure your salinity?

Definitely pick up some nassarius snails when you make your order. Even though they don't feed on algae, they will eat whatever foods are sitting on the sanded. They'll come out from being buried under the sand and keep it stirred as well. Also another vouch for reef cleaners. If you pickup one of their pre-made bundles, it ships free as well. Best of luck to you

Nice! Everything there is alright to start with. The light isn't great, but should be able to grow some hardy corals. Any of the harder to keep stuff will need to be in the the top half of your tank and real close to the light in order for it to do well (since the light is not that strong.) Did you use RODI water to mix your water to start with? And are you using a refractometer or a swing arm hydrometer to measure your salinity?

The guy sold me the swing arm hydrometer, but now I wish I had a refractometer. I even have one in my Amazon cart. I mixed my own water with the salt and distilled water.

Definitely pick up some nassarius snails when you make your order. Even though they don't feed on algae, they will eat whatever foods are sitting on the sanded. They'll come out from being buried under the sand and keep it stirred as well. Also another vouch for reef cleaners. If you pickup one of their pre-made bundles, it ships free as well. Best of luck to you

Thanks so much for your advice!!

The guy sold me the swing arm hydrometer, but now I wish I had a refractometer. I even have one in my Amazon cart. I mixed my own water with the salt and distilled water.

Thanks so much for your advice!!

Nice! Then you're all set. I'd get the refractometer ASAP... not worth gambling the money you'll spend on livestock which could die because your salinity was off. If you can't get it for a while, maybe find a store that'll check your water (and has a refractometer) to make sure you're sitting at 1.026 right now. You can usually find them for $25ish online. And no problem! I remember when I started a tank a while back, and people helped me out a lot, just returning the favor.

I wouldn't run the lights much during the cycle. Will just cause an algae bloom. Leave the lights off, wait 8-10 days then go get your CUC.

Do you have a power head in the tank to generate more flow? As everyone else has said, John at ReefCleaners is the best for CUCs. I just ordered from him last week and everything is alive and well. Definitely get the refractometer. I will never go back to using a hydrometer. Bulk Reef Supply sells a refractometer that comes with calibration fluid.

Do you have a power head in the tank to generate more flow? As everyone else has said, John at ReefCleaners is the best for CUCs. I just ordered from him last week and everything is alive and well. Definitely get the refractometer. I will never go back to using a hydrometer. Bulk Reef Supply sells a refractometer that comes with calibration fluid.

Hey, Dylan. I do not have a powerhead yet. Should I buy this now even though I only have the live rock in my tank? Thanks for the info!

Hey, Dylan. I do not have a powerhead yet. Should I buy this now even though I only have the live rock in my tank? Thanks for the info!

Water movement is never a bad thing. You will definitely need one in the future, so why wait? Plus it will aerate the water, providing more oxygen. What are the dimensions of your tank? Standard 20 gallon long? You can pick up 1 or 2 Hydor Koralia Nanos for about $25 each. On Amazon, the higher gallon-per-hour pump is actually cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Koralia-Nano-Aquarium-Circulation/dp/B0036S4YZ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460512565&sr=8-1&keywords=hydor+koralia+nano

I have two of those Hydors, There work pretty well and a dead quiet. The magnet backer to keep them in place is a big bonus

Water movement is never a bad thing. You will definitely need one in the future, so why wait? Plus it will aerate the water, providing more oxygen. What are the dimensions of your tank? Standard 20 gallon long? You can pick up 1 or 2 Hydor Koralia Nanos for about $25 each. On Amazon, the higher gallon-per-hour pump is actually cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Koralia-Nano-Aquarium-Circulation/dp/B0036S4YZ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460512565&sr=8-1&keywords=hydor+koralia+nano

Yes, I have a standard 20 gallon long. Do you think I should get 1 or 2 of the powerheads??? Thank you!

i had a 20 long, youll need two, one to aim acroos the rocks to help keep detritus from settling on and behind them and one aim towards surface to prevent film

and fwiw, ive always used a swing arm hydrometer. they are plenty accurate as long as you make sure theres no air bubbles stuck to the arm. I generally just mix half cup of salt per gallon of water, that gets around 1.023, then i add a tad more to get 1.025. I mix 30 gallons at a time and it always works out pretty close

FlowLikeWater

your water with salt and distilled? as in tap water? this will create future issues.

when buying a refractometer just make sure it measures salinity ( specific gravity ) and not another form of measurement.

your water with salt and distilled? as in tap water? this will create future issues.

when buying a refractometer just make sure it measures salinity ( specific gravity ) and not another form of measurement.

I bought gallon jugs of distilled water from the grocery store. I read different places that this would be okay?!

Archived