Cultivated Reef

Help me silence my drain pipe

c_man7

yea mine is pretty silent when everyone is home and the TV, ect. is going on

Its aggravating because as it is now, it's like every few minutes I'll get a loud suction noise, then it will stop, then do it again. I have off tonight so hopefully I can solve the problem some way

Cencalfishguy56

Its aggravating because as it is now, it's like every few minutes I'll get a loud suction noise, then it will stop, then do it again. I have off tonight so hopefully I can solve the problem some way

yea I get a noise every few minutes also but like I said its not loud, i tried to create a gurgle buster and I did but it wouldn't work since I dont have much depth to play with

so looking at your overflow, I would take off that 90 and strainer and flip the black 90 up, granted it may be a little short dropping your water height so then you would just need to cut some pvc to slide in to your desired water level height

ill take a pic of mine right now

Drain_zpsfboitjzj.jpg

Hold your horses. Please tell me you haven't drilled holes in any of the pipes in the back yet, I haven't really read past this picture.

You've got your primary and emergency drains backwards.

Google herbie overflow.

The drain your running as your emergency should be set up as the full syphon with a ball valve limiting flow so water just trickles down the emergency drain (top bulk head). I suggest fitting a 90 elbow pointing up on the top bulk head to set the water level in the tank.

Drain_zpsfboitjzj.jpg

Hold your horses. Please tell me you haven't drilled holes in any of the pipes in the back yet, I haven't really read past this picture.

You've got your primary and emergency drains backwards.

Google herbie overflow.

The drain your running as your emergency should be set up as the full syphon with a ball valve limiting flow so water just trickles down the emergency drain (top bulk head). I suggest fitting a 90 elbow pointing up on the top bulk head to set the water level in the tank.

Funny thing is thats exactly what I did last night and it helped out so much. I switched the higher one to an upturned 90 and the lower into a durso and it has cut out all gurgling, just a trickle sound down the 90.

Cencalfishguy56

Funny thing is thats exactly what I did last night and it helped out so much. I switched the higher one to an upturned 90 and the lower into a durso and it has cut out all gurgling, just a trickle sound down the 90.

glad you got it figured out!

If you are using standard plumbing, buy a maggie muffler...best 20.00 I ever spent on my last tank.

that looks like a stockman standpipe just nicer lol

I need to slightly dial back the return but over it has worked good. Here is what I did. Now just need to paint it black.

received_10154174506685229_zpskem8kgde.j

Archived