Pod Your Reef

Ceramic Rings

Astinus

I See posts about removing Bio Balls. Our JBJ 28g Bio Cube did not come with these, It did however come with the Ceramic Rings.

Tank is 3 months old now and I have 40 lbs of Live Sand and about 25 lbs of Live rock.

Tank is Cycled. Should I remove the Rings? If So, could I place Macro Algae or is there something else I could put in it's place? Or just leave well enough alone?

Right now I Have stock media with an added sock of some white stuff to remove Phosphates.

The In tank basket is from top to btm..Sponge filter, Ceramic Rings and then Carbon.

In a space next to it is the Phosphate removing material.

If you have a good amount of bio media just simply remove a little bit of it at a time, wouldn't hurt anything in a cycled tank with plenty of other biological filtration. If there is enough room in the rear chamber to grow macro algae then go for it, although you would need to provide a light for the algae.

TY Nanomaniac.

A light for the Macro, would I be good with just a simple "Grow" Light, like something used for, say a Planted FW Tank or Vegetation?

makingfilms

TY Nanomaniac.

A light for the Macro, would I be good with just a simple "Grow" Light, like something used for, say a Planted FW Tank or Vegetation?

yes. Depending on the macro you want to grow you can use a 5000k led light from home depot. I had a grapefruit ball of Chaeto in my Ac70 for about two months and it shrank to the size go a golf ball, Even with a light on it 24 hrs a day. I don't think it helped lower my nitrates at all. They actually seem lower once I removed it and it does trap stuff. . My nitrates are currently between 0-5ppm and they where around 10ppm with it in there. I feel my 20 gallon tank may have too low nutrients for chateo to thrive and also the amount of chateo in my fuge is too small for it to really help my overall tank params. But hey you may have better results. Reef cleaners has good stuff.

TY MakingFilms. TBH, I am hoping to use the Macro to try and keep a colony of Copepods.

I am fairly certain our Nitrates are highish. I will test that now and post my results.

Looks like Phosphates are starting to creep up. 0.25 and Nitrates are between 40 and 80...closer to 80. (Both tests using API's "Reef Master Test Kit")

Cencalfishguy56

Looks like Phosphates are starting to creep up. 0.25 and Nitrates are between 40 and 80...closer to 80. (Both tests using API's "Reef Master Test Kit")

remove the ceramic rings they will just collect detritus causing higher nitrates

Archived