inTank Media Baskets

DIY LED Cluster

Matteo

So I have a 29g mix reef and want to go DIY. Current light is AI Hydra 26HD, it is a cool and powerful little light but I like DIY and the whole point of this build was to be functional and cheap which is why I a going to use almost all the used LED stuff I got on the forum.

I purchased 2 heatsinks from a reefer here and plan to use each one as a cluster for over the 29g.

IMG_20160322_155406_zpsf9moreyk.jpg

So each one already a 4000k LED Bridgelux led which will take care of my Neutral White

Each Cluster will contain

1 NW Bridgelux (as seen in middle) CH 2

4 Royal Blue CH 1

2 UV CH 1

1 Red CH 2 1 Warm White

1 Cyan CH 3

2 Lime CH 2

2 Blue CH 3

Here is my first grade sketch using paint real quick haha. Imagine everything is all even and equal spacing and sizing haha.

LED%20Clusters_zps0ti29sqz.png

The LED ratio is based off of what I am already have from RapidLED and the package deal of LEDS I am receiving. I will also have 5 cool white, 2 neutral white, and 3 Blues I probably will not use.

Using LDD drivers these will be color adjusted with these http://www.amazon.com/Unique-Goods-1803BKW-Controller-Adjustable/dp/B00RYKR83Q?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=AFAJ27QUDKWR8

While CH 1 and CH 3 will be placed on the Actinic Dimmer/Timer port of my Reef Angel and CH 2 will be on the Daylight port of my reef Angel.

Should be done this week!

I would remove red and use NW or WW instead.

already have the two NW in the centers which are bigger than your typical 3 watt stars. I wanted to use red because I do not have WW. Will the NW take care of the red spectrum at 4000k?

4000K Bridgelux neutral whites do a decent job in the red range, but a warm white wouldn't hurt. I know you don't have them now, but what harm would there be of ordering a pair of 3000K Rebel ES? It's not like it's a lot of cash to lay out. Warm whites blend so much better than red LEDs and will provide about the same overall effect.

4000K Bridgelux neutral whites do a decent job in the red range, but a warm white wouldn't hurt. I know you don't have them now, but what harm would there be of ordering a pair of 3000K Rebel ES? It's not like it's a lot of cash to lay out. Warm whites blend so much better than red LEDs and will provide about the same overall effect.

you're probably right. I will order some real quick and swap the reds out for the WW. Overall how do you think the clusters look with color range and such? As you can tell I am sort of mimicking the V3 array for similar color.

The further apart the LEDs are, the more likely you are to see color banding, or "disco" effect. This is one downside to using multiple discrete colored light sources.

So I got my LED stuff in for the most part. Still waiting on WW LEDS and heatsinks.

20160414_153639_zpsad1h1opr.jpg

BUT I messed up on something silly.....

20160415_163445_zpszms1ijqa.jpg

I bought these thinking I would have them wired from the DC48V powersupply into the PWM controller out to the LED. Me being a goober I forgot that that output current on the DC48v is 48VOLTS and the max Voltage on the PWM controller I bought is 12 VOLTS. So that happened ^^^^.

They were 6 bucks so I can return the other two but I am worried now. If I get lets say these. http://www.amazon.com/RioRand-trade-Upgraded-6V-90V-Controller/dp/B00F839VNQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1460763895&sr=8-4&keywords=pwm+controllerWire it the same way I had it before and then wire the signal wire from the LDD to my reef angel PWM dimmer will I still be able to have sunrise/set and have color control with the manual dimmers?

I want to do it this way because it is cheaper due to the fact I have a Reef Angel already or am I being a GOOBER again and is there a simpler way to achieve what I want to achieve?

Bump. Still looking for some advice on wiring this bad boy. Also still waiting on heatsinks. Reefer on here hasn't sent tracking number and I paid Monday the 11th and they still are not here. ?

jedimasterben

What Reef Angel do you have, analog or PWM? Did you modify it per Roberto's instructions to make it output 5v instead of 10v?

What Reef Angel do you have, analog or PWM? Did you modify it per Roberto's instructions to make it output 5v instead of 10v?

It's the plus. I believe pwm. I haven't messed with anything yet because I'm waiting for heatsinks and wanted advice first.

jedimasterben

The Reef Angel all comes stock 10v output, and inside the relay box there is a jumper to select analog or PWM, I talk about that with Roberto here: http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3659

You would, however, still need to drop the voltage from 10v to 5v or else you'll kill all your LDD. You can do this either through one of O2Surplus' Apex converter boards (which will require some fun wiring from ethernet cables lol) or you can get with Roberto and ask how to remove the voltage increasing circuit in the relay box. Or you can just buy the 6-channel lighting expansion which has 5v and 10v PWM in addition to 0-10v and 0-5v analog dimming selectable via jumpers. I would really not recommend to run all of those LEDs across only two channels.

Damn. I assumed the reef angel was ready to go. Hmmmm the reef angel expansion mod is like 110 bucks. Maybe I should just buy a storm controller or a blue fish instead. Orrrr kick myself in the ass and keep my AI and try to sell the diy. Ugh.

Nano sapiens

Sorry for the issues, but don't give up!

FWIW, I've been quite satisfied with Coralux's Storm Controller and their 5up board (700mA drivers) and the cost was reasonable IMO. It took a little while to get everything connected and running properly since I had no previous PWM experience, but it's been working great so far.

If you are interested in going this route, let me know and I'll send you the link to the build.

Sorry for the issues, but don't give up!

FWIW, I've been quite satisfied with Coralux's Storm Controller and their 5up board (700mA drivers) and the cost was reasonable IMO. It took a little while to get everything connected and running properly since I had no previous PWM experience, but it's been working great so far.

If you are interested in going this route, let me know and I'll send you the link to the build.

Oh I have done builds before from rapid led, to makersled, and lumina 5.2 build using the storm controller. The whole point of this build was to be on the cheaper side of things. I bought an AI impulsively then I bought the diy stuff thinking I could sell the AI now I'm a stuck with both haha fml. I'll figure it out. If anything I cave and buy the led dimmer for reef angel and call it good but we'll see

Nano sapiens

Oh I have done builds before from rapid led, to makersled, and lumina 5.2 build using the storm controller. The whole point of this build was to be on the cheaper side of things. I bought an AI impulsively then I bought the diy stuff thinking I could sell the AI now I'm a stuck with both haha fml. I'll figure it out. If anything I cave and buy the led dimmer for reef angel and call it good but we'll see

Ah, I see. Hope it all works out for you.

Alright alright. After lots of thinking I went and bought the 6 channel expansion dimmer for RA and since I live in Southern Oregon I am hoping to have that by Wednesdays. Heat sinks most likely will come in Wednesday as well. I will still be using both and considering they are 10 inches long I will probably have them spaced no more than 2 inches from each other. I am ditching the bridge lux leds in the middle and just going to use some left over NW crees I have. Like Evil said, I am going to get these clusters pretty tight together on each heatsink and I doubt I will run into any disco effect.

CH1: 10 XT- E Royal Blue 1000 LDD-HW

CH2: 4 Luxeon Limes, 2 XP-G2 (5watt) Warm White, 2 XP-G2 Neutral White 1000 LDD-HW

CH3: 4 SemiLED Violet (410-420) 700 LDD-HW

CH4: 4 XP-E Blue, 2 Luxeon Cyan 700 LDD-HW

The Power Supply is a

180w 48v 3.75a DC

Thank you all for the input. Let me know if I am wrong somewhere but I think I am good to go. I have a project box and wire shielding so I am hopefully going to make this a super clean build :)

For the LDD-HW can I place those in the plastic project box? Do they need to be passively cooled or should they be okay?

Why would you want to switch from a great white LED to two turds? :P

Long story but seller is just now shipping the heatsinks today and somehow lost one of the leds....should I buy another birdglux NW led?

jedimasterben

I would personally, yes. I just went through all the hassle of swapping all of my blue LEDs from Rebels to XP-E2. Slight change, but worth it, as would be your change :)

I would personally, yes. I just went through all the hassle of swapping all of my blue LEDs from Rebels to XP-E2. Slight change, but worth it, as would be your change :)

alright cool thanks! so you think everything else looks good then? I feel pretty confident in the color array and the quality of the LEDs I am using. Honest personal opinion let me have it! :owned:

so I ordered another bridglux LED, for cooling each heatsink will have a 70x10mm fan. Should I just always have these on when the lights are on or have a temp probe connected to trigger the fan via reef angel when temp gets too hot? If I did go this route where should the temp probe be on the heatsink and what temp should trigger the fans?

Archived