Pod Your Reef

Diatom?

kylekruko85

kylekruko85

So out of nowhere my tank is speckled with what I believe is a diatom bloom. But I also have something coming from the bottom of the tank up towards the surface. Is this diatoms as well?

post-90710-0-38901400-1460407899_thumb.jpeg

I don't see anything. Looks clean to me. How old is the tank? Water params?

Edit:

For reference, here are some pics of diatoms from my tank early in its cycle.

946195_1203925559619410_1655771097748682

kylekruko85

The diatoms on the rock are at the top of the tank more. The pic is referring to the darker spot on glass under the sand. It's a 4 week old tank with ammonia clearing in 24 hours and nitrates clearing in 36 or so.

The diatoms on the rock are at the top of the tank more. The pic is referring to the darker spot on glass under the sand.

The dark part towards the bottom of the sand looks like a shadow from the light to me. The light isn't penetrating all the way down to that part, so it is darker. See how the edge of the darkness mirrors the level of the sandbed? That's my thought on it. Diatoms happen quickly. So they might be there, and they might be more visible tomorrow.

But now I do see some darker spots on the rock that are most likely very early stages of diatoms. Patience. You are almost there :)

kylekruko85

Definitely isn't a shadow. I disturbed that part of the sand and it went away. Could be getting light right there from an outside source I suppose. Here's a pic from the top of the rocks. Sorry for the iPhone quality.

post-90710-0-77184800-1460409354_thumb.jpeg

Do diatoms get bubbles too?

yes diatoms especially on the sand bed can cause bubbles from photosynthesizing. Diatoms are UGLYYYYY but go away :)

Archived