Pod Your Reef

What is this?

msparklym13

msparklym13

Hi! I am planning to start a thread on my tank progress but really hoping my Nano Reef friends can help me out. I keep getting the same weird purplish film in one spot in my tank. It is right below my coral. I have seen it pop up in maybe one or two places but nothing like this. I pull it off and a few hours later it is back!! Water perfect-Fish and Corals happy- Help please!!

post-90838-0-86134400-1460343665_thumb.jpg

Looks like cyano - very common in newer tanks. Supposedly better flow, lower nutrients, etc. - but either Algone or Chemi-clean will take care of it. I siphoned it, increased flow, etc. last summer, finally adding Microbacter7 for a week, then threw a packet of Algone in the media basket for 5 days and voila - gone and hasn't returned.

msparklym13

Looks like cyano - very common in newer tanks. Supposedly better flow, lower nutrients, etc. - but either Algone or Chemi-clean will take care of it. I siphoned it, increased flow, etc. last summer, finally adding Microbacter7 for a week, then threw a packet of Algone in the media basket for 5 days and voila - gone and hasn't returned.

Thank you so so much! When you say better flow did you add another power head? I will also get what you recommend!! You are awesome thank you again!!

cyano

I love your pic :-) thank you!

msparklym13

I keep trying to figure out a way to add pictures to the Gallery setting on my profile so I can use them- Any tips on how to do this? thank you again for help!! I def need to get the Cyano remedy :-) Best, M

LeCharlesMuhDickens

I just sucked mine out with one of those baby nose cleaner things when it was in my tank. You can upgrade your pump or add a power head but it's normal for a new tank to have cyano. What filter media are you running?

msparklym13

I just sucked mine out with one of those baby nose cleaner things when it was in my tank. You can upgrade your pump or add a power head but it's normal for a new tank to have cyano. What filter media are you running?

HI! I kept the stock for Biocube and added the BC skimmer (which I have now read is crap-oopsie)

LeCharlesMuhDickens

HI! I kept the stock for Biocube and added the BC skimmer (which I have now read is crap-oopsie)

Chuck the bio balls and tey using filter floss and something like purigen or chemipure in chamber 2. The bio balls tend to be a nitrate factory p, I've read mixed things about the skimmer but haven't personally used one so I can't attest to its benefit. Usually they don't do a whole lot on such small tanks though.

It's definitely Cynobacteria, which can be remedied by various chemical removers like posters have said. Not overfeeding(keep nitrates/phosphates down) and increasing your flow should help as well. The stock filter in a Biocube, especially a 29 gallon doesn't produce very much flow, I would add another powerhead. When using filter media in saltwater aquariums, such as bio balls or filter floss, it's best to rinse out the media frequently with water. This helps to remove any debris that may be trapped within the media that could lead to water quality issues.

Check out the Jebao RW-4. For the money it's a pretty awesome water mover.

I'll agree with the others. It's cyano. And it sucks. Just try to stay ahead of it the way your would any other algae. As your tank matures, it will be easier to keep algae at bay.

msparklym13

Chuck the bio balls and tey using filter floss and something like purigen or chemipure in chamber 2. The bio balls tend to be a nitrate factory p, I've read mixed things about the skimmer but haven't personally used one so I can't attest to its benefit. Usually they don't do a whole lot on such small tanks though.

You are right and have heard same. Would it mess up my tank if I get rid of BBallls?

Hi i'm in Carlsbad also. Nice to see another local here. You have cyano. Use some chemiclean follow the directions. Do a water change and it should be gone. As stated above more flow will help.

You are right and have heard same. Would it mess up my tank if I get rid of BBallls?

No. As long as your tank has cycled and you have enough rock, and sand to handle your bio load I would trash the bioballs.

After you ditch the bio balls; you'll probably notice a big improvement in algae build up, water quality and stability by adding a media basket and running purigen & Chemipure Elite.

Archived