SaltCritters.com

Red Sea Mg test

martinicu

Hi. I have used Red Sea mg test several times. I can never get full 1 ml in the titration syringe. I know it says wait for it to draw up all the way. I do but it never goes to 1 ml. Any comments to help me?

Thanks

Cichlidrookie

I don't think the actual liquid goes that high. If I read the instructions properly it says to read the syringe where the black rubber is. So line up the rubber to 1 ml and use the liquid until the colour change and read where the black rubber ended up.

Not sure if it is correct but that is what I do, if you think about it, it is the same amount of titration solution used.

I was thinking that also ,but instructions didn't seem clear. I just went from .9 to end point and use that amount of titrate to calculate. It came out to 1200. That's a little low right?

by the way. Tested on water straight fro LFS

The reason why the liquid never goes to 1mL is because of the volume in the narrow tip, you have to account for that. Ignore the liquid level. You have 1mL capacity in the syringe, plus about .1mL in the tip, so if you go from 0 to 1mL, the air bubble in the syringe is ignored, because once you push the syringe back to zero, the air bubble is filling the tip, and you have expelled 1mL of solution.

The reason why the liquid never goes to 1mL is because of the volume in the narrow tip, you have to account for that. Ignore the liquid level. You have 1mL capacity in the syringe, plus about .1mL in the tip, so if you go from 0 to 1mL, the air bubble in the syringe is ignored, because once you push the syringe back to zero, the air bubble is filling the tip, and you have expelled 1mL of solution.

Yep, as the plunger goes from 0-1 ml, it sucks up an equivalent amount of liquid, it's just the extra is residing in the tip.

Yeah, even if you didn't get the full 1ml in there, it really doesn't matter unless your Mg was so high it needed all 1ml. The red sea kits measure by the difference from start to finish. As long as you measure consistently (plunger with plunger, or liquid with liquid) the actual starting volume is completely irrelevant.

Archived