Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

William's Red Sea Reefer Nano - The Final Countdown

William

I got my NanoBoc Duo in today, and while i am very happy with the light, I am a bit unimpressed with the gooseneck mounting system. The plastic mounting screws seemed to be low quality and would "strip" out of the light when I would attempt to tighten them. I ended up getting them to stay with a liberal amount of Teflon tape, but the whole experience (about an hour) was less than pleasant (the light almost fell into the tank at one point). Metal screws would have been a better option. Or metal screws with rubber feet even better. There were noinstructions on the box either.

The operating system, aesthetics, and light are amazing and I am sure this initial annoyance will pass soon

That was a good read on the coral lab. There's no life in the tank so to speak so IMO no sweat on there being no light. You'll dig the nanobox it's worth the wait

Where did you send your radion?

I got my NanoBoc Duo in today, and while o am very happy with the light, I am a bit unimpressed with the gooseneck mounting system. The plastic mounting screws seemed to be low quality and would "strip" out of the light when I would attempt to tighten them. I ended up getting them to stay with a liberal amount of Teflon tape, but the whole experience (about an hour) was less than pleasant (the light almost fell into the tank at one point). Metal screws would have been a better option. Or metal screws with rubber feet even better. There were noinstructions on the box either.

The operating system, aesthetics, and light are amazing and I am sure this initial annoyance will pass soon

Just sent you a email as well! Heading out to grab two new ones for you.

-Dave

• Like 1

Just sent you a email as well! Heading out to grab two new ones for you.

-Dave

Thanks for the quick response and great customer service (especially on a weekend).

Where did you send your radion?

I sold it , it was too big for the tank

78bb3c483df5bce48aecb914b86e138e.jpg

• Like 6

F06A4CAB-6FC6-49EB-A326-4C5ABD62EDA7_zps

cdede6b70b31a789bdf6392fd468f2d7.jpgfd977d2a48af13a84b7fd5281a98238a.jpga82ca6d98650494dfed228b4205e25c9.jpg28c957b2201095eebd03cc780fd4ff4c.jpg2cdb0878dff4c1178165adc5058c3c60.jpg

Really liking the light, the colors are great. I noticed I have some type of hitchhiker anemone (looks like a corkscrew), as well as some sort of orange sps.

Sorry for the glare

• Like 4

Finally got my male Bandtail Waspfish and my pair of ORA Radial Filefish in today. After a 4 hour praziquintal bath (some flukes fell off), they are in the tank.

c90dace530de0782581e896ee9c9cf15.jpgf110f3e539daa277bc31091674c59bd2.jpg

de8e740d96359fc568cdd33839de6c4a.jpg

83a43e076583b334ddadd86782254009.jpg

The color of the Waspfish is 1000 times better than what was pictures on divers den. Hopefully they will have a female up soon

• Like 2

24ab80bdbbd9fbb0de0f4b298ffa1d3e.jpg

7b83de6703d5c3b0c27d5becf2d07681.jpg4a05e4347b08a61f9350096e7c94f12e.jpg

Of the four gorgonians I got from www.live-plants.com, 3 have died, likely due to the 3 day shipping and heat. I contacted them and they will send me three new ones in late September

• Like 4

Well I cannot find the Waspfish at all today.... Even after spending an hour looking for him....?

The filefish are great though, very active

Well it looks like I may have a bad hitchhiker ....39c18d3218fbeccda095d27922c69c5a.jpg053467dce9150ca0de565c34befba52c.jpg

Hopefully the disappearance of my Waspfish isn't because of this ....

And the filefish are looking great

eeb03283999764940d341b718ba12945.jpg

• Like 1

Everything seems to be settling in nicely, and I'm currently undergoing a pod explosion. The filefish are amazing, so inquisitive and full of personality. They do like to hang out near the vortech, which is weird. I'm loving the Nanobox duo and the color it is putting out.

144c12f000bbb1ad2d749f6554417f6d.jpg

54d3baaa4bb4dd2e0c8d1aa9d9927cb6.jpg

4a2d60d413e8e1ec56219d14d374d0e4.jpg

3db16e819256cfe0f00bb7441921cf88.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160825/70a43c0acaadd7c0b7699a2c1f2aeef3.jpg[/iMfe791f39d50683ad66169e862c464bd9.jpg

8ea9a9643c579286103975fb130b9ada.jpg

There are a few different types of "weird" algae that are growing .... Hopefully they are not too invasive.

• Like 1

Everything looks great! I love the filefish, and that carpet nem is definitely the best $5.99 coral I've ever seen :)

I've had good luck catching crabs with a small water bottle trap. You cut the top part of the water bottle off with a knife and insert it inverted into the bottle so the bottle top is reversed. Put a piece of shrimp in the bottle and leave in on the sand with the opening low enough for the crab to crawl in.

That last algae looks like dichtoya - I had it on my KPA live rock in my 10g tank. It can be invasive, but it's also pretty. I panicked with mine and got an emerald crab and a ruby crab, and pulled some of it out by hand. Within two weeks, the dichtoya was gone, but so was all the rest of the macroalgae in the whole tank.

So I'd advise going slow with it and see if it tries to take over. It it gets too bad you can control it with crabs.

Nice fish! Could you elaborate on the 4 hour bath you gave them with prazi?

Dosage? Air stone yes or no? I assume a heater was there?

1ml of prazi in a 2.5 gal bucket filled with 1gal of bag water and 1/2 gal is tank water with a 150ml/HR drip. I used an air stone and a heater. I also used an ammonia monitor (the sticker kind)

1ml of prazi in a 2.5 gal bucket filled with 1gal of bag water and 1/2 gal is tank water with a 150ml/HR drip. I used an air stone and a heater. I also used an ammonia monitor (the sticker kind)

Alright. So the starting dose was 1ml in 1.5gal which got diluted over the 4 hours gradually. Right?

Alright. So the starting dose was 1ml in 1.5gal which got diluted over the 4 hours gradually. Right?

Correct:

The instructions state to mix one teaspoon (roughly 5ml) per 20 gal or 1ml/4gal (for the multi day treatment). The treatment I use starts out at slightly over double normal strength and drops down to double strength by the end of the drip. IMO this is most likely strong enough to kill most/all of the surface flukes/worms and may be enough to treat some intestinal parasites. I have considered adding methylene blue as well, but I need to do my research.

I have considered doing baths for up to 24 hours (same setup, but with an X-port cube (after seeding in display for a month or so) added to it.

I do not have room in my apt for any form of "qt tank" in the traditional sense. My BF already thinks that my "fish tank stuff" takes up too much space.

• Like 3

Pre-water change labs 8/27/16:

• Red Sea ph test: 8.1
  • BRS lab grade PH probe: 7.74 (i think i need to re-calibrate it)
  • Red Sea Nitrate: 10ppm (up from 5 three days ago)
  • Phosphate: 0.00 (low range hannah checker, "green one")
  • Red Sea Alk: 8.5 dKH (down from 10 three days ago)
  • Calcium: 459 (Hannah checker)

All Red Sea tests were done with the "marine care test kit."

I have stopped my Alk/Ca dosing to trend usage, and I increased my NOPOX to 5ml/day from 4ml/day due to my increasing nitrate. Three days ago i put 3 tsp of BWA Extraxphos in a media bag in my sump, so this may be the reason for the 0.00 phosphate, or it could be the high growth rate of the endogenous macro algae on the KPA live rock.

My green slimer and birdsnest have good polyp extension but have browned somewhat. I have yet to catch the "evil" gorilla crab as my waspfish continues to go into the bottle trap almost imeadiately after i place it in the tank and subsequently "freaks out." I need to construct a trap in a way that will make it so that only the crab can get in. The pair of radial filefish continue to be the "star" of the tank as they continually cruise the rocks and glass hunting for pods, which have had a population explosion over the past few days.

I plan to order a female barbital waspfish after I get back from vacation labor day weekend, assuming there is one on DD.

I also plan to place a KP Aquatics order at the same time, which will include: Pike Blenny, 3-4 different types of gorgonian (my www.live-plants.com gorgonian order mortality rate is almost 100%), emerald crab, 5 scarlet reef hermits, 1 hairy chiton, 1 red brittle star, micro basket star, 2-3 differs types of ricordia florida, and possible a juvenile jawfish (assuming my artfully acrylic screen top comes in).

If do I do end up ordering both fish, they will close out my stocking list for the tank.

The endogenous "curly-cue" anemone has continued to grow, but from my research, they do not seem to breed readily in captivity, so for now I'm going to leave it alone. I did find a couple of pests on the frags i got from a fellow reefer (bryopsis, aptasia, bubble algae, vermatid snails), i removed most of them manually, but ill have to watch for spread....... it kinda pisses me off as I marginally overpaid for them (they were shipped to me so i didn't see them first).

My skimmer is still working wonderfully, pulling 75-100 ml of dark nasty skimmate per day.

• Like 1

Well my skimmer pump is starting to crap out, it is barely producing any bubbles now. I emailed coralvue to see if they can send a replacement.

I'm also having some trouble getting my Waspfish to eat frozen, I have tried frozen brine and frozen mysis, but he doesn't seem too interested in either. He did eat some frozen brine when I first put him in the tank. He has become much more adventurous now though and does not his all the time like he used to.

4a8ab1afbb290bf59253c4460b38aaea.jpgd0da34370bcd86aa47477890c16065db.jpg

These are some photos I took last night, does he look thin? Sick?

I am having a literal pod explosion, so I guess it is possible he is eating some of them, but I'm not sure

I'll have to check it out, sadly they don't ship and the closest LFS that sells them is a 1.5 hour subway trip each way

Living in a city where you don't have a car and being in the hobby really don't mesh well

I'll have to check it out, sadly they don't ship and the closest LFS that sells them is a 1.5 hour subway trip each way

Living in a city where you don't have a car and being in the hobby really don't mesh well

Don't I know this.