Cultivated Reef

Should I release the clowns?

AdriftQuasar

AdriftQuasar

To bring you guys up to speed:

Around St. Patrick's Day my LFS had a sale on anything green, so I scooped up a dope-looking green canary blenny for $12. Really love the way it moves and its awesome fins. My clownfish that had lived in the 20 gallon tank more or less alone for the past several years were not as big as fans. They bullied the shit out of it, but it seemed fine after a few days. We would poke at them with the blunt end of a scraper to get them to back off at times. After about a week, the aggression got more intense. We did back off on feedings a little bit, bit we had been going a little crazy trying to make sure the bullied blenny was getting enough to eat. About that time, the aggression kicked back up and they actually tore up some fins a bit. We had enough, so we bought a net breeder to isolate the clowns in fish jail. I've never really been a huge fan of them to be honest, so I'm enjoying their confinement.

They've been in there about a week now and the blenny is making a great recovery and actively swimming all over the tank rather than cowering in a corner or constantly hiding. There is still damage on its fins, but it seems to be healing pretty well. Should I consider letting the clownfish back into the tank at this point? Should I keep them isolated until the blenny is completely recovered? Is it wrong of me to just want to trade in or sell the jerkface clowns even though I've had them since 2007? Just looking for input on the situation. Thanks folks.

Lmao .. there in jail for assault! I new to the hobby and can't offer experienced advise, someone will help you out. It does sound like your new buddy is the favorite.

Since 2007? Would hate to see them moved out after 9 years. My 4 year old pair wouldn't accept anyone else in their 29 after their original tankmate gramma died at 2 1/2. I recently moved them to a ten gal hospital tank to treat the female for 2 weeks. Got a goby and a frozen eating mandarin while they were in the hospital tank, let them settle in for a week, then moved the clowns back and everyone is getting along great now.

If you can't move the clowns for a week or so, can you rearrange the tank a bit before teleasing them? Might give the same effect to them of a new tank.

If you're not a fan of them anyway, and you like the new guy....dump the clowns.....they won't get any nicer.

+1

Yeah I agree sell the clowns. You can always get new smaller ones if you find you miss your clowns.

well, if this is your stance on relationships... your significant other must be in flux at all times!!!

KEEP THE CLOWNS! WORK THROUGH IT!

well, if this is your stance on relationships... your significant other must be in flux at all times!!!

KEEP THE CLOWNS! WORK THROUGH IT!

:lol:

Archived