Top Shelf Aquatics

Clown fish help?

JCase

Have a strange problem with my clown fish. His health seems to be failing.

Did an 8 gallon water change of my Biocube 29g yesterday. Test all parameters before the water change yesterday. Tested all parmas today.

All are good, all corals are doing well. The watchman goby is doing fine.

The clown is puffing hard and is very lethargic not swimming much. Now I'm unable to find him behind a rock.

Anybody else have problems with fish after a water change?

Thanksk

Very strange, he just did 3 high speed laps around the tank sideways, not facing up and the died.

WTF, has anybody ever seen anything like this?

StinkyBunny

It sound coincidental to me that this happened right after a water change. If everything else is doing well, it was most likely the clown itself and NOT the water change. How long did you have the clown?

It sound coincidental to me that this happened right after a water change. If everything else is doing well, it was most likely the clown itself and NOT the water change. How long did you have the clown?

Month or a little more

Cichlidrookie

Not 100% sure but puffing hard is a sign of oxygen. I use to get that with my cichlids, try aiming your flow a little more to the surface to create more surface agitation. You might have low oxygen levels in your tank.

I know you have a YWG in there as well is he huffing and puffing as well?

If not it might be because he is a smaller fish.

Just a tought.

Sorry for your loss.

I have good surface agitation, I also run a skimmer that should be aerating the water.

I'm wondering if my pistol shrimp shot him?

He seemed not able to right himself for a time, kind of swimming sideways and laying on the bottom. Then a short time later he did 3 high speed laps around the tank, but he was swimming horizontal not vertical when he did it. Then died. It was like his last horrah.

I wonder if the pistol shrimp shot him and the shock knocked out his swim bladder or whatever it's called that keeps him upright?

Has anybody else seen the results of a pistol shrimp shooting a fish?

Thoughts?

You were having problems with ammonia a couple weeks ago, weren't you? Still showing ammonia readings? Have you tested? If you have livestock in there and are still showing signs of ammonia, your biofilter didn't properly establish I'm thinking.

You were having problems with ammonia a couple weeks ago, weren't you? Still showing ammonia readings? Have you tested? If you have livestock in there and are still showing signs of ammonia, your biofilter didn't properly establish I'm thinking.

All levels are great!

I test regularly, tank finished it's cycle at least a month ago.

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

temp 78

SG 1.025

PH average 8.07

Calcium average 358

Alk average 9.19

Mag average 1205

Don't currently have a phosphate test kit.

Archived