Cultivated Reef

DL's 45 JBJ

Plexus_Reefer_FL

Plexus_Reefer_FL

I have been researching and learning about saltwater aquariums for almost a year now. I finally decided what I wanted and went with a JBJ 45-RL. I have enjoyed reading and learning ALOT on this forum and want to thank you all for sharing your stories. Wretched, Harry, & Megan I've read most of your build posts and hope that will start me off in the right direction.

I am having a cousin build me a custom white stand that I'll move the tank on later this summer. My plan is just to get my water parameters good and add some inverts before the move and then after I'll add a couple fish and corals. I have just one AI Prime light and know that I'll have to keep any corals towards the middle of the tank.

Any tips and suggestions are welcome, I went with 30 pounds of sand from Marco Rocks and used only about 30-35 pounds of 50 pound box from Marco.

2 days ago (4/6) it went wet, I did use RO/DI water and mixed the salt first before it went in the tank, it took 35 gallons of water with the sand and rock already in there. I was surprised it cleared up and looks good after only 24 hours, i'll post a picture or two this weekend with the water.

Thanks,

David

post-91137-0-68514700-1460142527_thumb.jpg

post-91137-0-10879300-1460142528_thumb.jpg

Really like your rock work! What do you think of the AI Prime? Does it give your tank enough light spread? I have the same tank but I'm not sure what light I want to put above it.

Plexus_Reefer_FL

Thanks, for the rock work comment, I found a video on YouTube for "CJ's Aquarium" great videos about his JBJ 45 and i was trying to get a similar look just on the opposite side.

I like the Prime, I'm still learning how to set the controls on the app while there is nothing in there. I will still have to research and learn what settings I'll need once i get any corals. I don't plan on corals being my main focus in the tank so I think it'll be great, I love how small it is, and the white one will look nice with a white stand. Look up Wretched's build on his JBJ 45 and he used 2 Prime's for some time and has many big corals. If you plan on many corals or eventually when you get many you would probably have to upgrade lights but in a couple years who knows what will be available.

Very nice. I love your rock scape. If coral are not your main focus then you must have some fish/inverts that you are planning to keep.

• 2 weeks later...
Plexus_Reefer_FL

Tonight is 3 weeks the tank has been cycling, the last few days I've noticed a brown growth on some of the rocks starting.

Any tips for getting my parameters better or just need to wait and let it cycle longer?

pH - 7.8

Ammonia - .25

Nitrite - 2.0

Nitrate - 0

Temp. 81.5

• 4 weeks later...
Plexus_Reefer_FL

For a quick update with no pictures, i'll have to take some next month after we've moved.

All is going well with the tank,

after my cycle I started with 10 snails and a blood shrimp for about 2 weeks and have just recently added two clown fish, one of which is a snowflake.

Archived