Cultivated Reef

Help please, What is this?

John L

Hi, Ive just set up a 20G Kent marine bio reef tank for the first time, I'm three weeks in now all looking good so far, touch wood! I'm getting some cool algae and plants growing on my live rock. Just recently i noticed this plant? its a pinky red colour in the centre of the pic. post-91020-0-22032000-1460141552_thumb.jpg i have no idea what it is, if anyone can help identify it, i will be very grateful!

Thanks for the replies, its night time now, il see if it moves in the morning when i switch lights on.

It does look similar to Galaxaura algae though checking images on google. I used 3 year cultured live rock, so many cool things, living in/on it amazing!

il add more pics of it as it grows. theres also a tiny bright orange tentacled creature 2-3 tentacles approx 5mm long it retracts into the rock, its so small i can't get clear pics of it, it may be a tiny anemone? it arrived on my first mushroom coral I've recently bought.

Funny you should say that, i had an Aiptasia on one of the rocks, and hit it with Aiptasia X last week which did the job. Does Aiptasia also have orange tentacles/ different colours? The one i hit with Aiptasia X was a dull brown colour and I'm sure was the pest.

post-91020-0-14222700-1460228790_thumb.jpgpost-91020-0-04130200-1460228842_thumb.jpgok cheers guys, il keep an eye on the anemone, il add a pic of it, and a close up of the poss macro algae.

The pink/ red algae didn't move when i touched it, it feels quite solid just flexed a little, so I'm guessing it is a macro?

Pinner Reef

It's definitely a macro algae, tentacles don't branch.

Agreed. Although I don't know what type of macro

Brilliant, thanks for the help guys! I've had tropical freshwater aquariums for the last 10 years, and thought marine aquariums, can't be much different...how wrong was i!

lovin it so far, and i have to say the best website/forum I've thankfully stumbled upon!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived