ReefCleaners.org

canister filters.

BLoCkCliMbeR

So I sort of technically use what would qualify as a canister filter and can answer with what I don't like about it. See sig link for build details if you're interested, mine is a series of RODI canisters and Lily Pipes.

They have to be cleaned pretty regularly. I clean my reactors/canisters weekly. My setup at least doesn't do a good job of surface skimming, that could be fixed possibly with using an HOB overflow instead of the normal Lily Pipe intakes. They're also a bit less user friendly than a sump, but they are definitely useable for a reef tank, you just have to keep them clean.

A pro is that they are very quiet however, at least my reactor line is. Typical canister filters I suspect are not commonly used with reef tanks because they require more time and maintenance than a sump setup.

I agree with Halo. I serviced tanks for a lfs and a lot of them had canisters. A canister is a viable option for a reef tank, especially a softie/easy LPS tank. The main negative aspect is that nitrates can build up with a canister if it is not maintenance regularly. Once a week is a very good practice for most reefs. Another consideration is that it does not allow for hiding equipment like heaters, skimmers and reactors. On the pro side they generally are very quiet and easy to set up. They are unobtrusive, (if they are the only equipment used)and do not clutter up a tank as there is usually only an input and an output. Also in most cases unless you are handy with diy it is a more economical option than a sump system. I used one in the early days because we did not have A/C and I had a chiller to control heat in my tank. I used the canister to power water through the chiller.

I have a canister on my sps heavy reef for 2months now. My tank is doing great. I clean the canister with a water change every other week. The buildup in the bottom really is surprisingly low, and I also feed pretty heavily 3x a day. The only con IMO is hiding the lines. I have the intake behind a false wall in an AIO, but the return is still very visible. I don't have any problems with this setup, but if I was able to use a sump I would.

I have never run one on a reef but do on my cichlid tanks and one plus is that you can get one of the hydor inline heaters to kind of hide the heater as well.

SantaMonica

You can also just do no filter at all. Let the food particles circulate around and around to feed the corals and periphyton.

Archived