Cultivated Reef

New Biocube 29 Questions

captaincaiti

captaincaiti
hi everyone! i've had my biocube set up for a week now and figured i'd pop in with a couple questions, especially on things i keep getting five different answers for haha.

i have 40lbs of arag-alive sand (equals out to about 2 inches it seems), and i used nutri-seawater as well as live rock. i'm going to pick up another 10-15lbs of live rock today since currently i only have 14lbs (i always think it weighs more when handling it). so hopefully that'll do it. i'm also finally getting rid of the clouding issue from the sand and it all seems to be settling for the most part. of course i took the sponge out to clean it today and it clouded up again, but i'll be taking a picture to post once that settles.

so basically, a couple questions:

1. i haven't seen a spike in anything, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate are all stable at zero, PH of roughly 8.0, salinity is a little higher than 1.026 but i'm picking up more distilled water today to correct it. i've been told that a tank like this won't really cycle because of the nutriseawater/live sand/live rock, or that it won't cycle until a fish is in it, and about 10 other things. so basically is the tank already cycled? should i do anything first or am i fine to add a fish in a few days after adding the rest of the live rock and checking everything?

2. clean up crew vs. fish first. again, i've been told both, clean up crew first because it's cheaper but also fish first because otherwise the clean up crew will have nothing to clean.

3. i've set up my live rock so that there's a thin piece ontop of two larger ones to create a tunnel, but it's not as stable as i'd like it to be. is there anything that can be used to attach them that also isn't a pain to pull apart later if i want to rearrange things? if my only option is a more permanent one, what does everyone recommend using?

4. i've narrowed down my stocking list to what i believe i want, obviously adding them slowly over time and such. so that list right now is: 2 snowflake clowns, 1 purple or red firefish (maybe a mated pair of one or the other if i can find one, if not i don't want them fighting so just one), and a hi fin red banded goby. the first two are ones i'm pretty much set on, the hi fin i've been changing out and i'm concerned it may fight with the firefish.

would this be a good stocking list to have, or is there a different type of third fish that would work well? i love blennies and sand sifting gobies, but i know my tank isn't established enough for them. but i know most of my stocking list is mainly middle-tank fish, so i was looking for something maybe at the bottom to even it out? there's such a wide range and i feel a little lost looking haha.

also, cost factor aside what would be the best of these fish to start with? i know most of them are hardy, so i was looking at the hi fin to start with because it'd be less expensive, or the firefish, but i'd love to hear opinions!

sorry for how long this is, but i wanted to ask everything since i am new to saltwater, even though i've ready every possible new to reefkeeping post. basically if you have any tips/tricks/advice outside of what i've asked i'd love to hear it!

This would not be for stocking issues but it is for mods for a more stable tank. I would say get rid of the bio -balls in the second charmer is a must and make it a refugium. I would also put a Hydor nano slim skim in the first chamber. Later down the line upgrade the flow and lighting.

captaincaiti

already took the bio-balls out! as far as what to put back there instead i haven't figured out, but for the most part everyone's said i can just leave it for now with the filter pad and i should be fine.

Pocket_Tamales

Hey Captain,

I'm also in the middle of a cycle (2 weeks now) and mine started the same way. No readings at all for a week, live rock, live sand etc. I'm feeding the tank a smidge of fish food every couple of days and watching the levels. From what I understand, once you add a source of ammonia, it should "cycle through to nitrate within 24 hours. At that point, the cycle is " complete", but it still doesn't hurt to wait a little longer even after that.

At two weeks, mine still is not there. I would caution you to perform these ammonia tests and confirm that the ammonia/nitrites are reduced to zero and converted to nitrate shortly (24hrs) after the ammonia (fish food, raw shrimp, raw ammonia) is added. That is a much better indicator of cycle status than zeroes across the board.

newbiereeferrob

heres my 2 cents: Ive had my BC 29 set up for close to 6 months, and what has worked for me as far as filtration is a nano skimmer in chamber 1(not the coralife skimmer, those are garbage), filter pad with additional filter floss on top in chamber 2, and chemipure elite at the bottom of chamber 2. As far as the cycle, you'll need something to start the cycle(food or other decaying matter), and you should get to the point where your tank can metabolize 1ppm of ammonia into 0ppm within 24 hours consistantly. After this, I would reccomend adding snails and crabs, not shrimp until you're a bit more established. As far as the rock structure, I would say your best bet is to find something that is both visually appealing and naturally stable. I say this because I have rearranged my structure a few times already and it would suck if i had made anything permanent, but eventually when you decide, you can use some kind of epoxy. As far as your stocking, the fish you listed are compatible, but I would be careful about the order in which you add them. Add the less aggressive fish first(firefish) and let them establish a territory then add the potentially more aggressive fish(clowns). Also, with that number in a bc 29 you'll have to make sure you have an awesome clean up crew, good filtration, and keep up on the water changes. I have 4 fish in my 29 and everything is ok as long as i do a weekly water change. Also, be careful not to over feed as this is something many reefers overlook. The best tip I can give you is one which you have probably heard a thousand times, and that is to be patient! nothing good in this hobby comes quickly, but if you do it right it is very rewarding!

I have a Biocube 29 that has been running close to 7 months now. I got it second hand already retrofitted. Steve's LED lights ( would go with Daves if buying new) the Intank Media basket, Hydor nano skimmer, and a heater. I added an addition power head for circulation. I second what everyone says about the media basket. I waited a month before I added any fish.

newbiereeferrob

forgot to mention, I plan on getting a media basket at some point because it is superior, however if youre in a pinch, the setup I described is efficient

fishfreak0114

1. Chances are the cycle has yet to start. I recommend getting some pure ammonia and dosing it up to 2ppm. Once the tank is able to convert 2ppm in 24 hrs the tank is cycled :)

2. It's really up to you, IMO it's better to add CUC first to get the diatom bloom under control, and to sort of "test the waters".

3. Reef safe epoxy like dd's. Put a decent sized glob between the rocks and apply pressure, and if it's not stable right away don't worry, it takes about 24 hrs to cure so don't fiddle with it. It's fairly easy to break too if you want to. Just requires a little force.

I highly recommend get an Intank media basket for your second chamber, those things are the bomb. Your water will be wetter than ever before ;)

Sorry I can't help with your stock list. Hope this helps :)

msparklym13

HI! I have a Biocube 29 also- It is about 4 months old. I added my CUC first- I thought I was fully stocked with 3 snails :-) Obviously my crew is more of a gang now but I loved getting my first snails ;-) Shortly after I added 2 Firefish. They are still alive as are my 3 original snails- I consider it beginner's luck! Looking forward to your updates!

Archived