inTank Media Baskets

? About macroalgae's going sexual

joey13254

I just got 3 macroalgae's to put in my tank. Dragons breath, blue scroll, and red grape. Now i just read an article about macro's going sexual and spreading all over your tank. I don't mind pruning or anything but I didn't think about them

releasing spores and spreading that way. Does anyone know if any of the three I have will do that or stay where I put them and stay under control with pruning?

I have had or have the specie you mentioned and they are fine. They don't go sexual. They are all easily controlled even in my nutrient laden seahorse tank.

+1 to all the above.

I think I read that caulerpa and the like go sexual when the tank crashes or they run out of nutrients.

Just googled Dictyota, that stuff's pretty!

As I understand it pretty much any macroalgae can go sexual, or sporulate.

I believe the most common causes are overgrowing it's area and relatedly a lack of nutrients. Pretty much any condition that's not conducive to it's growth could cause it to release spores as I understand it because it's a means for species preservation. I'm not sure if this process is the same in every plant though.

I've had calurpa go sexual and it spread everywhere but I just started carbon dosing and I pulled them when it loosened its grip.

+1 to all the above.

I think I read that caulerpa and the like go sexual when the tank crashes or they run out of nutrients.

Just googled Dictyota, that stuff's pretty!

I liken it to Aiptasia, the first time it sprouts up you think "aww cool, I like that", and then more shows up, then more, then you start to worry and pull it out. By then it's over, you've lost the battle. Granted it doesn't sting your corals, but it does grow on every flipping surface in the tank.

Archived