Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

IM Fusion Mini 40 Mixed Reef

NYfishies

Hi all,

FTS Updated 8/23/16

29189798905_c915722fc7_b.jpg
29189798895_d3ef12021d_b.jpg
28569883223_0846373ffb_b.jpg

I have decided to start a build thread for my first salt water tank after it has been running for 18+ months. The tank has transformed a few times now, but where it is today I am quite happy with and want to share with everybody. :happydance:

I am also hoping this will help fellow reefers who are considering this same tank with ideas of their own. I have really enjoyed the tank would say that starting with an AIO was probably the best way. I now also have a 20 gallon custom system with a full sump setup and also a 5 gallon custom freshwater tank.

Tank

IM NUVO Aquarium - Fusion Mini 40 & Stand

IM Spin Steam Flow Nozzle x2

Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 Auto Top Off

Eheim JAGER TruTemp Aquarium Heater (100w)

AquaIllumination Hydra LED

AquaIllumination AI EXT Mounting System

AquaIllumination AI 12" EXT Rail

Neptune Systems WAV

Neptune Systems DŌS

Neptune Systems DDR

Filtration

CaribSea Bimini Pink Live Sand

~30 lbs of live rock sourced from one of our LFS. Had another 10 lbs in there, but have since removed.

IM SkimMate Ghost Protein Skimmer (midsize)

IM CustomCaddy Media Basket x2

inTank Filter Floss

Chemipure Blue

Control / Testing

Neptune Systems Apex Gold System

Neptune Systems WXM (retired Jebao RW-4)

Neptune Systems AWM

Neptune Systems ALD w/ Solid Surface Probe

Neptune Systems AFS

Milwaukee MA887 Digital Saltwater Refractometer

Hanna Colorimeter Checker: Alkalinity, Calcium, Phosphate

Red Sea Kits

Sensafe eXact iDip 570 Smart Photometer System (Marine Starter Kit)

Fish

Ocellaris Clownfish Pair

Yellowtail Damsel

Yellow Watchman Goby (his Pistol Shrimp mate has just passed away :( )

Scooter Dragonet

Orchid Dottyback

Inverts

1 Blood Red Fire Shrimp

1 Peppermint Shrimp

1 Sexy Anemone Shrimp (soon to add more)

10+ Hermits

Full CUC of Snails and Brittle Starfish

Coral (incomplete)

Branching Hammer Coral x3 (Neon Green, Orange and Teal)
Torch Croal (Green w/ Blue Tip)
Blue & Green Leptastrea
Golden Leptastrea
ASD Awesome Alvepora
Various Zoas/Palys
Various Acans
Pulsing Xenia
Orange Ricordea
Teal Ricordea
Blue Ricordia
Rainbow Ricordia
Giant Green Polyp Duncan
Jason Fox Jack- O- Lantern Leptoseris
Lava Lamp Mushroom
Ultra Rock Flower Anemones
ASD Heroic Favia
Fascination Favia
Herioic Favia
Blue and Green Maze Favia
Katropora
ORA Kelly Green Psammocora
ORA Blue California Tort
ORA Bird of Paradise
ORA German Blue Polyp Digitata
ORA Red Planet Acropora
ORA Pearlberry
ORA Joe the Coral
CR's Electric Myagi Tort
Oregon Tort
Jason Fox Red Hot Setosa
Garf Bonsai
Bali Green Slimer
ASD Show Tank Stylophora
Yellow Eco-Gorg
Rainbow Montipora

Here are some pics so you can see how anal I am with organization lol.

IMG_4240.jpg
IMG_4247.jpg
IMG_4242.jpg
IMG_4243.jpg
IMG_4244.jpg
IMG_4245.jpg
IMG_4248.jpg
Here are a few shots of the tank. I am not happy with most of the pictures so I am going to try and take some more tonight!
IMG_4253_1.jpg
IMG_4254_1.jpg
IMG_4256_1.jpg
Thanks for following along! Big thanks to @metrokat for all her help with this tank!! :):bowdown:
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all,

I was able to take a some better pictures tonight although they still are just iPhone shots.

IMG_5267.jpg
IMG_5268.jpg
IMG_5269.jpg
IMG_5270.jpg
IMG_5271.jpg
IMG_5272.jpg
IMG_5274.jpg
I wish they wouldn't be so blurry!
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

Quick picture update courtesy of Dave from Nano Box. More to come!

IMG_4353.jpg
IMG_4358.jpg
IMG_4359.jpg
IMG_4360.jpg
IMG_4364.jpg
IMG_4366.jpg
IMG_4367.jpg
Thanks for following!

I was gonna say "you took peechurs"? :) looks great

I cannot tell you how hard it is for me to resist buying a camera after looking at the photos Dave was taking!

I cannot tell you how hard it is for me to resist buying a camera after looking at the photos Dave was taking!

I'll have to remember to bring my camera over the next time I come over so you can try to shoot some top down of the reefs.

I'll have to remember to bring my camera over the next time I come over so you can try to shoot some top down of the reefs.

What camera do you have again?

reefernanoman

Hi all,

Quick picture update courtesy of Dave from Nano Box. More to come!

IMG_4353.jpg
IMG_4358.jpg
IMG_4359.jpg
IMG_4360.jpg
IMG_4364.jpg
IMG_4366.jpg
IMG_4367.jpg
Thanks for following!

Nice! I like it.

Hi all,

So I have been playing around with the new camera and custom white balance only thus far. Here are a ton of shots!

DSC00001.jpg
DSC00003.jpg
DSC00004.jpg
DSC00006.jpg
DSC00007.jpg
DSC00008.jpg
DSC00009.jpg
DSC00013.jpg
DSC00014.jpg
DSC00018.jpg
DSC00024.jpg
DSC00025.jpg
DSC00026.jpg
DSC00027.jpg
DSC00028.jpg
DSC00029.jpg
DSC00030.jpg
DSC00031.jpg
DSC00032.jpg
DSC00034.jpg
DSC00035.jpg
DSC00041.jpg

I'm so glad you told me about this thread! I'm looking forward to reading it very carefully for help with my planning for my own IM40. The pictures with the new camera are beautiful, too :wub:

I'm so glad you told me about this thread! I'm looking forward to reading it very carefully for help with my planning for my own IM40. The pictures with the new camera are beautiful, too :wub:

Thank you! I am still learning with the new camera and blues. Will takes month I think!

I placed my first order with Holly from Cultivated Reefs this week and hope to have the frags Friday! I ordered:

Oregon Tort
ORA Red Planet Acropora
ORA Pearlberry
ORA Joe the Coral
CR's Electric Myagi Tort
Blue Ricordia
Rainbow Ricordia
Ultra Rock Flower Anemone (Pink rim and White Zebra face)
I also got Yellow Brick Road Zoanthids for my zoa garden.
It has been months since we have added any coral to this tank, but I feel it is doing very well and ready for some more color!
I have started a new dosing regiment for this tank which consists of the following:
  • 17.8 ml Alk daily (dosed 24/7)
  • 17.5 ml Ca daily (dosed 24/7)
  • 25-50 ml Mg monthly
  • 10 ml AcroPower daily
  • 4 ml Reef BioFuel daily
  • 7.5 ml MicroBacter7 daily (on day 10 of 14 then switch to weekly)
  • Reef Roids & Reef Chili every 3 days
  • Reef Frenzy & Crab Cuisine daily (fish & crabs/shrimp)

I change the filter floss every 5 days and do a 15% water change every other week. I started vacuuming the sand once a month if not each time I water change.

At the moment I have Chemi-Pure blue and Purigen in the back chamber, but once the Purigen exhausted I will not add anymore.

I am currently running the Hydra @ 90% for 9 hours a day and it seems to be working well. I ramp it up 1% a week with the plan to go to 100%.

I am going to order some new frag racks from OceanBox to go on the back wall. Really like that idea!

Thanks for following! :happydance:

That's a great order from CR! I had one each Holly's Oregon Torts and Electric Miyagi Tort in the 4g tank before it crashed, and they were my favorite SPS frags ever. I also had one the rainbow rics, and it was fantastic, but didn't survive past the first couple weeks. You should be very happy with what she sends.

Also, it's funny, I ordered two of the new black Oceanbox frag racks just last week, planning to put them on the back wall of my 40. Great minds think alike :D

That's a great order from CR! I had one each Holly's Oregon Torts and Electric Miyagi Tort in the 4g tank before it crashed, and they were my favorite SPS frags ever. I also had one the rainbow rics, and it was fantastic, but didn't survive past the first couple weeks. You should be very happy with what she sends.

Also, it's funny, I ordered two of the new black Oceanbox frag racks just last week, planning to put them on the back wall of my 40. Great minds think alike :D

I should add that Holly is really great to talk and work with I am super excited to see her stuff!

Hey all,

Today I got the order in from Holly and wow! She really packs it well - everything was double bagged in sealed bags (no rubber bands or anything). I will most definitely be ordered from her again.

IMG_4414.jpg
IMG_4415.jpg
IMG_4416.jpg
IMG_4417.jpg
IMG_4418.jpg
IMG_4419.jpg
IMG_4420.jpg
IMG_4421.jpg
IMG_4422.jpg
IMG_4423.jpg
IMG_4424.jpg
IMG_4425.jpg
IMG_4426.jpg
IMG_4427.jpg
IMG_4429.jpg
As you can see some of the frags are still stressed from shipping, but the rock flower and Oregon tort seem happy as can be already! :happydance:
More pics to come!

Hi all,

Need some advice on a new fish or 2 for this tank. So many beautiful corals, but I feel we are lacking fish life. Unfortunately, our dearest Maggie the scooter dragonet passed away this week. :(:(:(

We have some aggressive fish so we need fish who can hang. The damsel and dottyback are very territorial. Our clownfish seem to be nice. We have a watchman goby so keep that in mind. I think we need another scooter type fish (not sure we have the pods for a red scooter dragonet even though I really want one).

What do you guys think? I am thinking a wrasse of some sort. Candy cane basslet? I am not afraid of spending some money.

Thanks for your help!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Little photo dump on the tank in some white and blues. Getting better with the new camera.

IMG_4704.jpg
IMG_4705.jpg
IMG_4706.jpg
IMG_4707.jpg
IMG_4708.jpg
IMG_4709.jpg
IMG_4710.jpg
IMG_4711.jpg
IMG_4712.jpg
IMG_4713.jpg
IMG_4714.jpg
IMG_4715.jpg
IMG_4716.jpg
IMG_4717.jpg
IMG_4718.jpg
IMG_4719.jpg
IMG_4720.jpg
IMG_4721.jpg
IMG_4722.jpg
IMG_4723.jpg
IMG_4724.jpg
IMG_4725.jpg
IMG_4726.jpg
IMG_4727.jpg
IMG_4728.jpg
I have changed up my feeding/dosing to a more diverse group of products. I am now doing the following and loving the results:
- 13.5 ml Alk daily
- 12 ml Ca daily
- 25 ml Mag monthly
- 15% WC 2x monthly
- LRS Reef Frenzy daily & Pellets every 3rd day
- 4 ml BWA Reef BioFuel daily
- 7 drops BWA Koral Color daily
- 4 ml BWA PhytoChrome daily
- 2 spoons BWA Reef Blizzard-S daily
- 10 ml AcroPower every 3rd day
- 6 drops PolypLab's Polyp-Booster every 3rd day
- 14 drops BWA Coral Amino every 3rd day
- 4 ml Continuum's Sustain (Iodine) every 3rd day
- Reef Chili & Reef Roids every 3rd day
- 5 ml BWA MicroBacter7 weekly
- 4 ml BWA Vitamarin-C weekly
The aminos are fed once daily (alternating every 3 days).
We will be adding a Sixline Wrasse the next time we head to the LFS! :happydance:omgomgomg
Thanks for following!

So this is what happens when we go away for 8 days and have 3 awesome friends who will come over to take care of the tanks on 3 different days! Yuuuuuuuge thanks to Kat! :bowdown::grouphug::happydance:

IMG_4730.jpg

IMG_4731.jpg

IMG_4732.jpg

IMG_4733.jpg

IMG_4734.jpg

IMG_4735.jpg

Nice job! I'm taking notes for the next time I have a tank sitter, since my tank sitter probably won't be as knowledgeable as Kat :D

When you made up the daily doses, is all the liquid stuff food? Or is it mixed with some tank water? Just trying to get a feel for the quantities you are feeding. Thanks!

So meticulous, I've just ventured out of the begginers area, and started looking at all the members tanks yours is awesome

Thanks. You could say I pay a bit too close to detail sometimes.. :happy:

Nice job! I'm taking notes for the next time I have a tank sitter, since my tank sitter probably won't be as knowledgeable as Kat :D

When you made up the daily doses, is all the liquid stuff food? Or is it mixed with some tank water? Just trying to get a feel for the quantities you are feeding. Thanks!

Lucky to have her as a friend!

I added about a 1/3rd cup of tank water in cup then the liquid supplements which really do not make up much. A lot of it is by the drop. The Mixed Reef has more due to the BioFuel, MB7, and AcroPower. The LRS Reef Frenzy was added last and then I put the lids on and tossed in the freezer. It all froze very quickly so the fish feed is still intact (didn't melt and lose some of the vitamins which is good!).

I actually dose a lot of these things daily. I did not increase any of the daily doses and instead we are just skipping a few days here and there. The key weekly supplements are still in there (Iodine, Vitamin C, MB7).

• 3 weeks later...

Kat's definitely a good egg. Damn nice tank man!

Thanks!

I snapped a few quick update shots of the tank.

IMG_4827_1.jpg
IMG_4826_1.jpg
IMG_4825_1.jpg
IMG_4824_1.jpg
Thelma and Wilson
IMG_4823_1.jpg
IMG_4813_1.jpg
IMG_4820_1.jpg
IMG_4819_1.jpg
IMG_4818_1.jpg
Charles
IMG_4817_1.jpg
Audrey
IMG_4815_1.jpg
Walter and Conelius
IMG_4814_1.jpg
IMG_4811_1.jpg
IMG_4810_1.jpg
IMG_4808_1.jpg
IMG_4807_1.jpg
Corals are doing great.
Cornelius is loving his new home and has created some really awesome tunnels. He is not the least bit shy like Buck was. He and Walter hang out in the front of the tank all day.
I am having some Cyano outbreaks, but mainly just on the sand in the front of the tank. Between a few water changes, cutting back on Reef Roids & Reef Chili for awhile and increased flow from the WAV I hope that I can overcome it soon.
Thanks for following along!

Archived