ReefCleaners.org

tank of tangs...

DudE31

I know this will cause some controversy and I have done my research. Just looking for some friendly input. Disclaimer: this is not for my tank. I have been assisting someone else in taking care of their tank and they don't have a lot of fish. I recently added a blue regal tang, 7 green chromis and a diamond goby. Total fish count for a 150 gallon stands at those fish along with a single blue damsel, a yellow tang and a pair of clowns.

I know this a topic of debate adding more than two or three tangs to a tank of this size, but they have really helped with the GHA situation (http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/371432-at-a-loss-battling-every-kind-of-algae-and-aptasia/#entry5282817) and everyone is getting along fine so far. My question is would it be possible to add another tang or two. The tank is 6ft in length and not a ton of live rock, my guess would be about 100lb in the display and the rest in a refugium in the sump. I was thinking of adding a convict tang, kole tang, orange shoulder tang. Any other suggestions would be great. These would most likely be the last fish to be added. Just looking for some input thanks everyone.

If you have a GHA problem, I wouldn't add too many fish, they poop and it is possible to grow GHA faster than they can eat it so be careful. If the tank is slowly getting under control then the current stock is probably fine until its all gone.

If you really want more GHA eaters, a foxface and an urchin would be my choices.

Depending on the 'scape, I think you could keep a smaller OS pretty happy for years in that tank. Probably longer than you would the Regal, but by then maybe you can talk them into an upgrade! B)

I agree with the above; rabbitfish/foxface are amazing with hair algae and get along really well with tangs. My tangs never really cared as much for GHA and preferred nori. You add one and I doubt you have any more issues.

Just to add a personal anecdote, but I found that adding in the early morning worked best. Also, I kept even numbers; my tangs/rabbits always had a "buddy". They'd swim/beg for food all together, but if they'd be grazing and doing general lazy fish things, it would be with their friend (usually just who they were added with). Seemed to help with stress/aggression anyway, but as always YMMV.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am thinking the fox face may be the best fit then :). The GHA problem has been under control so to speak. I thinks its more or less hit a saturation point and I have isolated it to a few pieces of live rock, they are fairly matted but the effort on my part from physical removal and the regal tang and yellow tang has made a fairly significant impact. If i go with a fox face, any recommendations for other fish ?

Archived