Cultivated Reef

Well sad, clownfish jumped...

boshk

Only 2 days into QT, my orange ocellaris clownfish jumped. Didn't see her until it was too late. She manage to jump through a gap less than an inch wide.....landed on the floor, flopped her way UNDER the tiny gap of my cabinet!!

covered in dust, put her into a bucket, stopped breathing soon after.

sad sad :(

I was wondering why the little black ocellaris was motionless in the corner of the QT :(

so mad :angry: at myself for assuming they won't do a jump through less than a 1 inch gap

Elizabeth94

Don't beat yourself up over it. I am guessing the gap was between the tank and the lid? I had a goby jump through 1/4". I didn't realize he jumped because he was always hiding in the tank anyway. Took my rock work apart and saw he wasn't there. Finally, I looked around the tank and found his all crispy..

Fish are escape artists sometimes.

Edit: After this experience, I have ordered a new lid that shouldn't have the same gaps as the stock one. It should arrive tomorrow. Check out Smiz's lids here on this site if you haven't already. Seems like a lot of people will/can stand by his workmanship.

so mad :angry: at myself for assuming they won't do a jump through less than a 1 inch gap

Don't beat yourself up over it. I am guessing the gap was between the tank and the lid? I had a goby jump through 1/4". I didn't realize he jumped because he was always hiding in the tank anyway. Took my rock work apart and saw he wasn't there. Finally, I looked around the tank and found his all crispy..

Fish are escape artists sometimes.

Edit: After this experience, I have ordered a new lid that shouldn't have the same gaps as the stock one. It should arrive tomorrow. Check out Smiz's lids here on this site if you haven't already. Seems like a lot of people will/can stand by his workmanship.

yea, between front of tank and glass lid.....

and she was big too (1.5in) since I wanted her to be a 'her'

don't feel so bad, these things unfortunately happen. I have had a clown jump through a 1/2" gap between my cover and aqua clear hob. I don't know how but I found him on top of the glass cover. I am sure almost everyone on this forum has lost at least one fish to jumping.

Cichlidrookie

I use to go with no lid until I found one of my clownfish all crispy on the floor. Now I have a lid that covers the whole tank.

righttirefire

I use the plastic mesh #7 from the craft store to close all potential gaps since a fish jumped on me between the top and ac50

I have no idea what's going on with my main tank now.

As I said before, clown fish jumped out of QT, so naturally I went to get a acrylic cover for my DT.

I put my YWG and Firefish in..........both jumped (separate times....through a 5mm gap!!! lucky I saw the YWG but not the Firefish)

I checked parameters:

pH=7.8-8

temp=25C

amm=0

nitrite=0

nitrate=5+

Phos=near 0

mag=1200+

no idea why they are jumping

I even cover my QT with eggcrate now. Had a wrasse jump through a tiny gap in that so now I zip tie some mesh netting on that. Really easy diy lid and you can make it fit around anything. If I'm acclimating in a bucket I'll throw a towel over that as well to prevent jumping.

New fish are easily spooked and anything could be making them jump. Is there fast movement outside the tank, like lights turning off? My dog even made my chalk bass jump the other night, but they just smack the lid and calm down.

Thanks for all the shout outs guys!

Like said, new fish as well as old fish will get easily spooked. This includes vibrations in the house or sudden movements. I had a slightly off washer machine that would clunk and I noticed it would spook my wrasse every time it spun.

The term is wall surfing, which is literally when your fish gets spooked, darts away and hit the glass. This usually cause them to "surf" the wall until they hit a corner where they usually go up and then out. Unfortunately that is usually where tanks with lids have gaps and usually does not help keep them in.

As I said before, clown fish jumped out of QT, so naturally I went to get a acrylic cover for my DT.

I put my YWG and Firefish in..........both jumped (separate times....through a 5mm gap!!! lucky I saw the YWG but not the Firefish)

I checked parameters:

pH=7.8-8

temp=25C

amm=0

nitrite=0

nitrate=5+

Phos=near 0

mag=1200+

Firefish are very prone to jumping at the least, I know I've saved a bunch from the floor of LFS's that don't keep them with lids. They get spooked from all kinds of things. The YWG I can't speak to though, never had any experience with them.

Cichlidrookie

I checked parameters:

pH=7.8-8

temp=25C

amm=0

nitrite=0

nitrate=5+

Phos=near 0

mag=1200+

Maybe try putting some plastic pipe in there if you don't already have one. Good place for them to hide.

Archived