Cultivated Reef

Just Starting Biocube 14

Pocket_Tamales

Sweet I love Zoa frags! Glue that piece to a small piece of rock rubble and grow it out!

I Would, but the 2 tiny Polyps, separate Heads, floated off into the tank somewhere. I can't find them. I Hope they landed upright, this way, I might find them later if they can manage to grow some.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Would, but the 2 tiny Polyps, separate Heads, floated off into the tank somewhere. I can't find them. I Hope they landed upright, this way, I might find them later if they can manage to grow some.

Boo. Well, they may turn up.

Boo. Well, they may turn up.

Found them Last night when Lights went out and the Blue LEDs were the only light. They are tiny and then I saw them! On Sand Bed, just underneath the main colony. Polyp side up. :D Just gonna leave them there.

Found them Last night when Lights went out and the Blue LEDs were the only light. They are tiny and then I saw them! On Sand Bed, just underneath the main colony. Polyp side up. :D Just gonna leave them there.

Nice! Night light is definitely the time to find them.

You can leave them there. But warning, wheneverIj did that, I never saw the coral again. If you can and you feel up for it; a small piece of live rock and a dab of superglue may pay off.

Pocket_Tamales

Just another quick update:

Got back from work yesterday evening and found 5 tiny, white weird, spiny things attached to the glass. Googling indicates that they are hydroid jellyfish. They look exactly like this (credit c est ma - this forum) but I couldn't get a picture of mine, too small:

dscn3041croppedlargeig7.jpg

Sounds like it's a normal phase for new tanks. Water Parameters are all normal/unchanged (no ammonia or nitrite, very low nitrate) and I am still feeding every 2-3 days. Temp is between 77.4 and 78.6 throughout the day. Lights are on for about 4 hours a day. Starting to see a few new kinds of algae, but nothing is really taking over.

• 3 weeks later...
Pocket_Tamales

Hey all! Long time no post... Life has gotten in the way of my cycle documentation! Just to catch-up a little bit....

It's now been almost 6 weeks since I started the tank, starfish is gone, hydroid jellies are gone, algae growth has been slowed with minimal lighting and water parameters remain unchanged. Amphepod population has definitely grown, as have the individual pods. Multiple molts floating around during the day and they've spread along to my other rocks.

I've had zero ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for over 3.5 weeks at this point. Last weekend I did a 20% water change and removed the filter cartridge that came with the tank. I've since replaced it with filter floss on top of the second chamber and am running things completely bare-bones, save the filter floss and the sponge that keeps stuff from clogging the pump.

I really do think I chose a rock with way too much phosphate - at this point I'm just going to be good about water changes, keep a happy cleanup crew. I'm planning on switching out the sponge with a filter sock + GFO - Since the water is forced through that sponge to get to the tank, I figure that will be a nice spot to add the GFO.

I'm going to add a scarlet hermit and a couple of snails this weekend. Since everything has read zero for several weeks, I definitely think this tank has cycled. I've been feeding the tank continuously and algae has definitely been dying off/regrowing. The pod populations have stayed strong throughout as well. I only want to add 1 or 2 cleaners at a time to give the water time to adjust.

I've finally started researching what I want to put in my tank as well! Leaning toward a green clown goby as my fish, and then some zoas just outside my little "cave", GSP on the back wall, and possibly a xenia.

Basically, no major changes since my last post, just a lot of sitting around day-dreaming with an empty tank :)

erinmegan85

I just added my final fish to my Biocube 14, and I got a yellow clown goby. He's definitely an entertaining little dude, so the green clown goby is a good choice! I have filter floss and some live rock rubbles in my second chamber, and also have the sponge, so far so good with my tank. Stocking the tank with livestock is definitely the funnest part, but it's also so hard to choose with the limited space. (That may or may not be the reason why we just ordered our 70 gallon tank. Haha)

• 3 weeks later...
Pocket_Tamales

I haven't been nearly as diligant in posting updates as I originally hoped to. Mostly because nothing really happened during the cycle! I did end up picking up a CuC right after my last post. 1 Scarlet Hermit, on Cerith snail, and one Nassarius snail. All three have done well, though the hermit crab loves to hide during the day... I thought something was wrong with him until I watched closely after turning out the lights for the day - he is definitely nocturnal. Completely still during the day but all over the tank at night.

The snails are snails. The Cerith buried itself the other day... Not too sure why as I thought only Nassarius like to burrow.

Anyway, the big reason I decided to update the thread.... I got corals! I was going to push for an 8 week cycle, but broke down at 7 when I went to buy the remainder of my cleaners. The parameters have been incredibly stable and I haven't seen any spikes at all, even with regular ghost feeding and the coming and going of different critters in the tank. Pod population has exploded, and my small CuC has remained healthy for over 2 weeks now.

This weekend I added A Zoanthid colony, a Euphyllia (I THINK it's a torch, but it was sold to me as a frogspawn) and a Green Star Polyp colony. I also rounded out my clean up crew with 2 trochus snails and one more cerith. I also added some Chemipure and Purigen, as the water was getting to be a little bit yellow/green. I've performed weekly 10%-20% water changes since adding the first bit of CuC. Leaving the feeding hood open and keeping the room holding the aquarium at 72 degrees has helped tremendously with temperature. Daily fluctuations average 76-77.5 degrees. Salinity is stable at 1.024 with a small top off every other day.

Pictures of the new corals!

8l6TScF.jpg

iBDlpVL.jpg

NbXT7TB.jpg

Fzncys9.jpg

All three corals opened up within 20 minutes of placing them in the tank and the zoanthids have already sprouted two extra polyps. I'm currently running the actinics only during the day (they were under very low light at the lfs), though I do run the regular lights for about an hour during my lunch break, and plan on increasing this slowly as my schedule allows.

It felt like the longest wait of my life, but everything seems to be doing really well (knock on wood.) I'll update with more info when I get the chance! Thanks for reading :)

Archived