Pod Your Reef

Lifer's Biocube 29 2.0

Lifer

Well I think it's about time that I start a build thread. I've been addicted to this forum since my first few rocky posts. I jumped into reefing with a take-over tank and have probably made every mistake a newb can make. This thread I'd titled 2.0 because this is my second time around with this darn coralife 29 gallon biocube.

My first time, I purchased the tank off a fellow reefer already running. Stock everything including the bioballs. Guess what my first fish was? A yellow tang!! I still remember the shots I took on this site!! Well after a few months and not really prepared for the incredible amount of knowledge I needed to run a successful reef tank, I was over-run with algae, lost fish and lots of stress. I had given up after a power failure that caused the final crash. Cyano, hair algae, dinos, all of the worst stuff you could think of.

I tore down the tank, washed my hands, and swore never to do this again.

That lasted about a month and a half and I began thinking about reefing again. This time I would plan it right from the start, and learn from my mistakes and use this site as my go-to for information and advice. I nuked my rocks, and began soaking them for round two. I knew I needed some serious equipment upgrades if I was going to make a go at this.

I was ready for the build at new years of this year and started assembly.

I didn't really document too much of the build, but I will list everything I have done so far:

20lbs CaribSea live sand

20lbs bleached rock from previous build, and another 10 lbs live rock

Cobalt MJ1200 return pump

Hydor Slim Skim Nano skimmer

TLF Phosban Reactor with Cobalt MJ900 pump

Evergrow it2040 LED hanging light fixture

Ecotech MP10QD WaveMaker

Reefkeeper Lite controller

Ehiem Jager 150W submersible heater

Hydor korrelia 425 Nano

On order and arriving any day now from Reef Supplies, - Tunze Nano ATO

Refurbished RODI unit running all new spectrapure parts and filters

Also, as I write this, I have a JNS Ice Cyclone HOB skimmer being primed in a bucket of old tank water to replace the too small Hydor listed above

I think I've covered all my bases and I feel optimistic that this will be a more successful run than my first attempt.

Tank has cycled with the help of Aquavitro Seed and has been running with the following CUC:

3 Astrea snails

1 emerald green crab

1 pencil spine urchin

Coral frags to date:

1 red 1 green acan

1 green 1 purple candy canes

2 purple montipora digitata

1 blue montipora digitata

1 birdsnest

2 favia

1 meteor shower cyphastrea (my favorite)

1 green chalice

1 purple chalice

1 green encrusting monti

Thank you to all the nano reefers that have put up with my newb posts and I look forward to some feedback and comments as I build this cube.

Noticing a little bit of an algae surge as I learn how to use all my equipment, especially my new Evergrow it2040 led fixture. When setting it up, I went with te default custom setting (is that an oxymoron? ) and it was pretty intense with several hour at peak day at 100% b/w. Coming from a stock hood with an extra led strip, I guess I have fuelled a small algae outbreak.

I have reset the custom settings and only ramping up blues to 60% for 4 hours at peak and whites to a max of 40%.

Not 100% sure about nutrient levels in the tank, API test kits read 0 for ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, and phosphates, but I still have some surface algae growing. I am waiting for some RS test kits to be delivered to confirm levels. Don't expect a nutrient problem, I have no fish and small coral frags and I haven't feed the tank yet.

I am also breaking in my new JNS HOB skimmer to replace my under sized Hydor nano skimmer. I'm hoping after all the reviews I've read on this skimmer, it will really help control my water quality

This JNS skimmer is a AMAZING. I'm so happy I upgraded to this bigger skimmer. The Hydor was adequate but the best it ever did for me was some tea colored skim, no matter the water conditions or skimmer position. JNS skim mate is very dark and smelly. Since my last post, I have seen a considerable difference in surface algae growth due to the lower lighting schedule and upgraded skimmer.

Will do a water change tomorrow and begin gluing some of my frags to my rocks and take some pics to post

It's been 4 or 5 days with the new JNS skimmer and it has made some very noticeable deferences in the quality of the water. I haven't tested the parameters too much lately, I'm not sure these API test kits are giving me good information. I should get my Red Sea test kits soon from Reef Supplies in Montreal. I ordered the Nitrate/Phosphates kit and the Ca/Alk/Mag test kit. I also ordered kalkwasser and a Tunze ATO.

I think I have my leds dialed in just right now. I've used the 30min cycle controller and start at 10am ramping upto peak power 60%B for 4 hours and 40%W. Then it ramps down to shut of with moonlights at 11pm.

Feel like everything is coming together nicely right now. I've secured 5 frags to my rock work and will secure the remaining 7 this week sometime. Im thinking of a nice torch or frogspawn coral for the lower left side of the rock work.

post-83396-0-78190900-1459730743_thumb.jpg

Mr. Microscope

Coming along! I'm looking forward to seeing all those frags mounted up. Make sure to give them all plenty of room. Good luck!

Coming along! I'm looking forward to seeing all those frags mounted up. Make sure to give them all plenty of room. Good luck!

Thanks. Still nervous. Want to make sure I find just the right spot for them. I have 2 acan frags and 2 favia. I've been reading that they should not be placed close to each other and can become quite aggressive.

Mr. Microscope

Thanks. Still nervous. Want to make sure I find just the right spot for them. I have 2 acan frags and 2 favia. I've been reading that they should not be placed close to each other and can become quite aggressive.

Yes, the favia will destroy the acans. The favia might also destroy each other. The acans will be fine next to each other though.

Yes, the favia will destroy the acans. The favia might also destroy each other. The acans will be fine next to each other though.

That's what I figured. The green favia has some long tenticles that come out at night and although I kept them separate from the other frags, it must have touched the blue favia. The blue one looks pretty bad and I had to separate them too.

Pocket_Tamales

Looks awesome, and from what I know so far it sounds like you are on the right track this time! I'm running a Bio14 and am going to see how things work without a skimmer (more frequent water changes instead.)

Glad to see a Biocuber with an urchin, too. I don't see to many tanks that opt for urchins as part of a cleanup crew. I want to add a Blue Tuxedo once the water is ready (probably going to have to feed it, given the size of my tank.)

How has the urchin done in your tank? I hear they're just monsters as far as keeping things clean.

Looks awesome, and from what I know so far it sounds like you are on the right track this time! I'm running a Bio14 and am going to see how things work without a skimmer (more frequent water changes instead.)

Glad to see a Biocuber with an urchin, too. I don't see to many tanks that opt for urchins as part of a cleanup crew. I want to add a Blue Tuxedo once the water is ready (probably going to have to feed it, given the size of my tank.)

How has the urchin done in your tank? I hear they're just monsters as far as keeping things clean.

Thanks P_T.

My urchin has done very well. It wasn't part of my original CUC, but pretty close. Hes a beast and is keeping everything clean, although he's quite clumsy and I need to make sure that everything is secure. Also, urchins eat coraline algae. I had some live rock that I bought when cycling this tank with coraline algae that I intended to seed the tank with, and he's eaten most of it. It has started to seed but I need to ensure that I keep the conditions right for coraline so he continues to eat. Hopefully he keeps my glass clean at least!

Just got home from work and my delivery from Reef Supplies has arrived. Red Sea Nitrate/Phosphate test kit, RS Cal,Alk,Mag test kit, Tunze Nano ATO, Cobalt MJ900 powerheads(for my TLF GFO reactor), Kalkwasser, and nylon net for my screen top. Lots of new toys to play with, but no time tonight. I'm too tired.

Also found a local reefer who sold me some beautiful frags. Needle nose green birds nest, red spotted green montipora, another green birdsnest, and a small purple acro. Can't wait for this weekend to play with the tank!

Lots done between last night and today. Pulled out the tank, and cleaned both the return pump and the skimmer, the rear sump chambers and installed a new Cobalt MJ900 pump for my GFO reactor. I rewired all my equipment to an upgraded power brand installed the Tunze Nano ATO. Performed a 5gal water change and vacuumed the sand bed. I think the tank is looking and working great.

I have also had a chance to begin using my new Red Sea test kits. Nitrate and Phosphates, Cal Alk Mag. Not as crystal clear as I would have hoped. Somewhat cumbersome with all the steps and reagents to administer. The alk test, which is one that I wanted an accurate measurement on, is not even matching the final burgundy color as indicated on the test card. It is changing to a peachy orange color. If I take the change in color to orange, it's reading 7.3dkh and cal is 380. I tested magnesium, twice and each time it resulted in a reading of 1560 which seems really high without any type of supplimentation. I am just using Kent Reef Salt mix and changing out 5gal weekly. I don't think I'm doing it correctly but I will check all parameters again tonight after I have let the tank settle after this afternoons water change.

Regardless, all new coral frags seem to be healthy and polyps and colors look good. I will be sure to post my results.

All parameters are on track except magnesium. After a water change, my mag level measured 1560 again. I have not ever dosed into this tank. This reading is either wrong, or is coming from the Kent reef salt mix I'm using. I will test my fresh mixed salt water at my next water change to confirm. Otherwise cal was 380 and alk at 7.3, pH 8. That's where I would expect with just salt mix. I installed my ato today and wanted to run it a week or two before starting to supplimentation with kalkwasser. Anyone else have stable parameters but high magnesium?

Tested magnesium a few more times now. 2 times at the tank and one time at the freshly mixed pail of salt water. I think I have the hang of the Red Sea mag test kit now. All 3 times, I'm getting a reading of 1480. Still high but pretty consistent. I'm not going to dwell on it as all corals look fine and tank is stable.

I have mixed my first ATO gallon of RODI with kalkwasser. Starting with 1tsp \ 2.5 gallons. Will be posting my results.

Parameter starting to come together after another water change and 3 days with kalk supplimented topoff water. Measurements today are:

Cal 420, up from 380

Alk 7.8, up from 7.3

Mag 1400, down from 1480

PH 8

Nitrate 0

Phosphates 0.02

I'm going to continue to test and hopefully maintain these conditions

Also mounted the remaining frags I purchased a few weeks ago and removed my frag rack. All is doing well except my birdsnest that I mounted mid to upper level on the rock near the mp10 and it look like it's bleaching out. I may have to detach it and move it back down this weekend if it doesn't acclimate to its new home.

post-83396-0-21113100-1460771581_thumb.jpg

post-83396-0-35461700-1460772066_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
Saltyfisherman

Looks great like reading your posted you have given me some ideas with frags and changing my light cycle also

Thanks

Archived