SaltCritters.com

Young Clownfish hatchling staying in corner

neowind712

We have a very large local hatchery in which I picked up a very small clownfish. He arrived in a bag full of about 50 clownfish. I only got 1 and when I put him into my tank he stays at the very top corner of the aquarium where he has 3 reflections of himself. My question is will he ever venture out into the aquarium? I caught him and moved him down to the rocks and he went right back up to the corner. This is the first fish I have ever received that came directly from a hatchery and was wondering what to expect.

Cencalfishguy56

We have a very large local hatchery in which I picked up a very small clownfish. He arrived in a bag full of about 50 clownfish. I only got 1 and when I put him into my tank he stays at the very top corner of the aquarium where he has 3 reflections of himself. My question is will he ever venture out into the aquarium? I caught him and moved him down to the rocks and he went right back up to the corner. This is the first fish I have ever received that came directly from a hatchery and was wondering what to expect.

clownfish typically hover around certain areas and stay there, all my clownfish hovered around certain rocks, powerheads, and anemones/euphyllia, they do venture out every now and then, he will get brave in time

It could be "hosting" that spot? Some clowns at work (talking fish not my coworkers - although that could apply) appeared to host the return vent in the Oceanic until a BTA was added.

It could be "hosting" that spot? Some clowns at work (talking fish not my coworkers - although that could apply) appeared to host the return vent in the Oceanic until a BTA was added.

I sure hope not. He has been in the tank less than 24 hours so hopefully he comes around. I am guessing in the hatchery he was in an aquarium with just glass walls. Maybe that is why he is just hanging out on the glass.

masterbuilder

Leave the little guy alone. The worst thing is to capture him again causing more stress. He will venture out when he is ready.

Fishmademepoor

My gramma stayed at the top right of the aquarium behind a powerhead for the first day or so. I wouldn't be too worried just give him time to get settled in to his new home.

Archived