ReefCleaners.org

Quarantine / preventative treatment advice.

Sunstar

Due to the ammonia levels in my QT, I had to house a new fish in a float box in my display. Please don't yell at me for that decision.

I am not a particularly fish savvy person, at least not in the realms of marine fish disease treatment and prevention. I have run hospital systems for freshwater fish.

So I have a Gumdrop croucher. Its not one of the pink spotted ones, but more of a brown fella. Quite cute. I was ensuring he was eating while he was in my display's float box - the shop I got him from said they never actually saw it eat. It was a bit thin. So the fact I had ammonia and it was likely stressed from hunger, I chose to take the risk that I did.

So people who are experienced in QT.

Do you treat your fish prior to adding to your tank - for things like ich, velvet, parasites?

What do you use and why?

How often do you use it?

What is your preferred length of QT and why?

My QT is a 5 gallon with AC70 (I think) I have a bit of plastic pipe and plastic coral. I do not want to use copper based products. The QT is here to stay, my frag tank may be used to be a coral QT as well.

thanks for anyone who will pitch in. I admit reading and sifting through videos is a lot of work and then I am left with questions, many questions.

righttirefire

Too long didn't read. I will tomorrow. But I killed a 6line in qt and spectra made me promise to not qt the 6line I git from him today... so...

I'll advise tomorrow

When you say float box, what do you mean exactly? Like something that lets water through? if so, you can't treat the fish without treating your entire DT - so you have to be careful what you use as it needs to be reef safe. Not many medications are.

righttirefire

I think she means breeder box. And it's more an observation at this point not qt or hospital. Once you know it's eating and bulked up no reason to not release it

Breeder box thing that floats. It was observation for feeding. I know its like bolting a barn door after the horses have run, but I have the fish now in the QT. And I can run the display fallow - because I stuck a non QT fish in a breeder box (that lets water/pathogens) through.

I won't medicate my tank, hence the desire to get a QT running. I don't want to have an Oh shit moment.

righttirefire

Good morning! As promised I read you message, which I already did, since I replied once.

So when I qt, like I am now, I use a 10gal, with an ac50. I keep new filters for the ac50 in the sump of my 20 so I have instant bacteria. I actually don't check ammonia in my qt.

I'd said quit moving the little guy qt to display back to qt? From what I understand they aren't very active fish. So the breeder box would house it fine for observation. I'm not expert. Like you stated it introduce whatever little nasty it had to the community. Like a snot nosed brat on a school bus.

I am leaving it in the QT - at least for a few weeks. (3 - 4) I am not moving it to and from tanks. It goes in one, it will stay there for a while.

My Breeder box was causing some problems with shading a lot of the sand bed, so I can't keep that in there. I had mushrooms doing a lot of reaching, and zoanthids (ones giving me problems as it stands, Closing rihgt up) things are doing better now the shadow is gone.

I'd move hte breeder box elsewhere, but my tank is so full of frag racks right now, that things look utterly cluttered.

Basically I need a much smaller box if I were to do that again,and I thought I had some. I will see if I can find some in future, in case I need to isolate it in my display (hopefully after frag hotel has been moved to the frag tank.

I only moved it the once, it never went into the QT to begin with because of the high ammonia.

I will be keeping backup sponges in my frag tank for future need.

And...

I am doing a tank water cycle tonight when my display gets its WC - I will be doing as I do, and move water from display to QT, and QT to crabs and crabs out. (Unless copper is ever involved) leaving frag tank to continue its cycle.

As much as I dislike plastic ornaments. I may consider picking up a couple others that are ocean themed (and easy to clean) this ugly plastic thing was quickly adopted. I almost threw it out when I decided - QT tank stuff.

20160327_025033.jpg

I will be removing the detritus off, that's from all the sponges and stuff I added and got blown around.

Archived