Top Shelf Aquatics

Firefish!

ReefSafeSolutions

ReefSafeSolutions

A little backstory...I had a clown and a purple dottyback in my 16 gallon tank. I loved the color of the dottyback, but it was very aggressive. The clown was almost just as aggressive.

So today, I pulled them out of the tank and took them to the fish store for an exchange. I've been thinking about doing some firefish, and they had quite a few, so I ended up coming home with two firefish. The guy at my store is actually honest and has been doing saltwater tanks his whole life, so I trust him. He said two generally are better together so I got two. I was hoping to find a little clown goby but he said they don't last long (not sure if that's just his experience with them or what).

Anyways, got home, tested the store water salinity. Matched my tank water. Did a temperature acclimation and added a little of my tank water to the bag. After a while (20-30 mins, I guess) I put them in the tank and they seemed pretty happy. Didn't take long for them to find the cave and I haven't seen them since! It's been a few hours and I figure this is normal behavior.

The question is, how long should I expect them to hide out? And should I decide to add another fish (maybe in a month if I can build a working skimmer) would a little clown be OK, assuming the firefish survive the transition?

A little backstory...I had a clown and a purple dottyback in my 16 gallon tank. I loved the color of the dottyback, but it was very aggressive. The clown was almost just as aggressive.

So today, I pulled them out of the tank and took them to the fish store for an exchange. I've been thinking about doing some firefish, and they had quite a few, so I ended up coming home with two firefish. The guy at my store is actually honest and has been doing saltwater tanks his whole life, so I trust him. He said two generally are better together so I got two. I was hoping to find a little clown goby but he said they don't last long (not sure if that's just his experience with them or what).

Anyways, got home, tested the store water salinity. Matched my tank water. Did a temperature acclimation and added a little of my tank water to the bag. After a while (20-30 mins, I guess) I put them in the tank and they seemed pretty happy. Didn't take long for them to find the cave and I haven't seen them since! It's been a few hours and I figure this is normal behavior.

The question is, how long should I expect them to hide out? And should I decide to add another fish (maybe in a month if I can build a working skimmer) would a little clown be OK, assuming the firefish survive the transition?

I have a Red Firefish. He hangs out in his cave a lot but pops out periodically during the day for a swim.

I think you'd be ok with another fish if you're careful. The Firefish aren't a huge bioload.

ReefSafeSolutions

I've heard they don't add much to the bioload...I guess the concern is with a smaller tank, which fish will become territorial and aggressive and which ones won't care. In any case, I'll worry about these guys surviving first before I worry about new fish!

AlejandroDelRey

What kind of firefish did you get? I have a purple one and it is really social, the only time he hides in his cave is at night.

ReefSafeSolutions

I got a couple of the normal red firefish...they were hiding for a while but as soon as I fed them they came out! They're funny, they'll come out and then hide, but when someone is watching the tank they'll slowly come out and then sort of show off, pretty cool!

Cencalfishguy56

I got a couple of the normal red firefish...they were hiding for a while but as soon as I fed them they came out! They're funny, they'll come out and then hide, but when someone is watching the tank they'll slowly come out and then sort of show off, pretty cool!

thats what my purple one did, and he was also an ass to my clowns :)
ReefSafeSolutions

That's awesome! I need some fish to keep a clown in line...I'd like to try another clown once these two are comfortable in the new tank. Maybe in a couple of months I'll give it a try. Always a little leery of clowns..

Cencalfishguy56

That's awesome! I need some fish to keep a clown in line...I'd like to try another clown once these two are comfortable in the new tank. Maybe in a couple of months I'll give it a try. Always a little leery of clowns..

it was awesome lol when it was feeding time he was like eff off! But I loved my clowns although they are hit and miss haha

Firefish are cool. I had a nice helfrichi a few years ago. Good luck with yours. Don't be surprised if your 2 turn into one though.

ReefSafeSolutions

So far they've been OK together...I'll keep an eye on them, I'm not sure what pairing behavior is like in firefish. One of them is a bit more social than the other, I'd suspect that one to be the one to take out the other, should it come to that.

Archived