Cultivated Reef

My first tank--Fluval Edge 6 gallon!

xHereFishyFishyFishyx

Thanks a lot for posting some pictures up! I'll have to research it some more but it looks like a legit setup! Would be great having all those features so I wouldn't have to worry about forgetting to turn the daytime light on before I leave for work in the morning. About how much would it cause the temperature to rise? I have the tank around 78 all the time so not a lot of room there for extra...I'm not opposed to modifying it like you did

So, once I noticed the temperature spikes all I did was turn down my heater. After modifying the hood, I haven't had the temp rise above 80 degrees, which is fine.

xHereFishyFishyFishyx

Picked up and installed a Hydor Koralia 240 gph pump! Took my shrimp by surprise when I kicked it on. lol I don't know what the optimal angle is for it. I plan on adding softies in the next month. Most likely Zoas first. Next upgrade to the tank will be lighting. Going to stick a fish in there next Friday. Tank is coming along slowly but nicely. I'm getting impatient but I know good things come to those who wait...hakuna matata. I've been planning my 40 gallon so that helps some. Planning a custom setup with no visible things in the tank other than fish, rock, sand, and water. Trying to keep it as simple as possible but it's gonna have some complexity to it...it's unavoidable. Again, it'll be worth the wait once I have it going. Stay tuned for more on that.

Below are a few new pictures. I noticed some colors on my live rock...is that coralline algae? Or some other kind of algae? My rock is looking really good and my sand has been getting cleaner and cleaner over the last several days. Cleanup crew is doing good things! Might add another Nassarius snail but I think that'll be it for now. Anyways, on to the new pictures.

new2.png

new.png

new3.png

xHereFishyFishyFishyx

So I have a question.

I moved my rock just a little bit(there was a smaller awkward piece I didn't know what to do with, just ending up pitching it...) and thinking ahead about corals/coral placement...do corals need to be on a flat, less featured surface? Or are the more jagged/creviced surfaces able to host corals as well? If flatter/less featured surfaces are what I need then I need to do some more arranging.

I got a kick out of my shrimp coming out to watch what I was doing. It's got a lot of personality for something with such a small brain. After I was done it went back where it was like 'Oh...okay. Everything is cool." Really really can't wait to add more stuff to the tank. Have been moving the powerhead a little in different directions to vary the flow some. I've heard varying the flow is good though I don't know if that matters as much in such a young tank. The magnet makes it easy to move from the outside. Slides around nicely. Still trying to find that sweet spot where it blows across the substrate and live rock at a high level.

xHereFishyFishyFishyx

Went to the fish store to pick up the tank's first fish but they didn't have any Yellow Watchman Gobies for sale. They had just gotten a shipment in and had two, but they quarantine their fish for a week before selling them just to be sure they're healthy. I could've bought it at a discounted price but they said I was on my own if I did that. I figured I'd just wait since that's the name of the game with this hobby anyways! So I have a Yellow Watchman Goby reserved and i'll get him next Friday or so. Also, my Cleaner Shrimp molted for the first time in the middle of the night so that's neat. My better half was pretty blown away by that...lol. Did a 10% water change last night so I'm wondering if the stress may have helped trigger it? I dunno. He seems happy though. Just hanging out in his apartment under the rock. cant wait to add the Goby!!!!!!!!!!!!

xHereFishyFishyFishyx

So I got to thinkin' when I was checkin' out my tank, imagine that...and noticed there were some darker spots in the front of the tank. Directly under the light there's a hot spot. I wondered if I elevated the light fixture a little if it would reflect off that glass since the LEDs would then be at a slight angle. So I did just that and sure enough it took away some of the dark spots. You can see in the before and after pictures. It's not a world changer but it's noticeable. Same effect at night time with the blue LEDs on.

Before...

IMG_20160427_094222428.jpg

And after...

IMG_20160427_094210452_1.jpg

So, now I need to find a way to permanently keep it raised like this while still being able to fit the hood on top for asthetics. Right now the fixture is resting on the powerhead cord...so yeah, more to come on that. Not sure if i'll upgrade my lighting now or not with it a little brighter/more spread out. We'll see.

I also moved the left side rocks some. They're not at the same angle and now rest up against the glass. Behind the rocks is more open now, which I like. Might be able to fit something there like a Kenya Tree coral or something of that nature. The left side of the rocks is a bit more flat for corals...so that worked out nicely. We'll see. Below is a picture of how it looks(top down view).

IMG_20160427_094304462.jpg

Might adjust the location of the powerhead but for now I like where it is. When I was adjusting the rocks my Cleaner Shrimp got to know me a bit. Cautiously curious, which was neat to watch. Eventually it jumped on my hand and went to town, doing what they do best. I think it realized what I was doing when I was adjusting the rock...it moved to the other side of the tank and sat there watching the whole time. Then when I was done it went to the other side to check out how things had changed. Since he made his claim to the little arch/tunnel I made on that side I didn't want to disturb that, and ultimately that's what made adjusting my rock difficult. Didn't want it to stress it out by being too different too fast or anything. I'm new to this so I don't even know if that matters...but yeah. Just took that into consideration 'cause I want it to be happy.

How many Cleaner Shrimp can I add in a six gallon? I read they are happier in groups, but don't want to overdo it. I was just curious about that. Wouldn't mind having another one at least.

Here on Friday i'll be picking up a Yellow Watchman Goby to add to the tank...I'm really excited about that. Have been tempted to go get him earlier but what's the rush? A couple/few extra days of quarantine won't hurt.

Coralline algae is starting to come along nicely. Definitely doesn't look like my rocks are as brand new as they were when I first put it all together...so that's neat. It's the little things like that that I've enjoyed about the tank. Still planning my bigger tank build...40 gallon? 50? 60? Custom sizing? Leaning more towards custom. I want a long, shallow-ish tank but none have fit the dimensions I'm looking for yet. Like so many other things, we'll see.

That's all for now...what do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...
xHereFishyFishyFishyx

Tank update!

There's a fish in there now. Picked up an Ocellarus Clown Fish which i'll later move into the bigger tank once I get it going. For now he's settled in pretty good and enjoys playing in the flow from the powerhead. It's been fun watching him eat...feeding him half a cube of frozen food every other day. Noticed some green algae growing in between crevices the turbo snail can't get to...don't know how to get rid of it other than scrubbing it off with a toothbrush maybe? Smaller snails? Anyways, I'm hoping to pick up a Yellow Watchman Goby sometime in the next week or week and a half. We'll see!

fishy.jpg

xHereFishyFishyFishyx

Lost my cleaner shrimp yesterday. Not sure why but I think it may have been water temperature being too high. The air conditioning wasn't on when we left for work and it got up to 92 yesterday...water temp was around 82-84 degrees. He molted about a week ago so he may have been a little more sensitive to the temp spike. I feel bad but that's life. I tested the water parameters yesterday evening and ammonia and nitrite were as low as they could be. Nitrate is high but i'm doing a water change tomorrow night, so no worries. Other than that things are going well. Knock on wood! Clown fish is doing well even though his house is a bit small. Snails are doing fine. Coralline algae growth is really starting to show on some of the rocks, so that's cool to see over time. Still waiting for my yellow watchman goby and blue leg hermit crab to show up at the aquarium store down the street. Who knows when they will arrive. Will probally also pick up another cleaner shrimp. Not sure if people are still interested in my tank or not...haven't had many responses lately. Maybe this is normal. I'm just used to forums that are much more active when you post something. Hakuna matata.

xHereFishyFishyFishyx

Went topless yesterday. =)

LOVE the way it looks compared to the closed top. Love having all that access now, too...that small opening was getting annoying! My clown fish seems to like it too, at least guessing from his behavior. I dunno. He comes up to the surface any time I come by looking in the tank to say hi. Didn't use to do that.

Thoughts?

topless.jpg

HarryPotter

Went topless yesterday. =)

LOVE the way it looks compared to the closed top. Love having all that access now, too...that small opening was getting annoying! My clown fish seems to like it too, at least guessing from his behavior. I dunno. He comes up to the surface any time I come by looking in the tank to say hi. Didn't use to do that.

Thoughts?

topless.jpg

Looks nice

So I got to thinkin' when I was checkin' out my tank, imagine that...and noticed there were some darker spots in the front of the tank. Directly under the light there's a hot spot. I wondered if I elevated the light fixture a little if it would reflect off that glass since the LEDs would then be at a slight angle. So I did just that and sure enough it took away some of the dark spots. You can see in the before and after pictures. It's not a world changer but it's noticeable. Same effect at night time with the blue LEDs on.

Before...

IMG_20160427_094222428.jpg

And after...

IMG_20160427_094210452_1.jpg

So, now I need to find a way to permanently keep it raised like this while still being able to fit the hood on top for asthetics. Right now the fixture is resting on the powerhead cord...so yeah, more to come on that. Not sure if i'll upgrade my lighting now or not with it a little brighter/more spread out. We'll see.

I also moved the left side rocks some. They're not at the same angle and now rest up against the glass. Behind the rocks is more open now, which I like. Might be able to fit something there like a Kenya Tree coral or something of that nature. The left side of the rocks is a bit more flat for corals...so that worked out nicely. We'll see. Below is a picture of how it looks(top down view).

IMG_20160427_094304462.jpg

Might adjust the location of the powerhead but for now I like where it is. When I was adjusting the rocks my Cleaner Shrimp got to know me a bit. Cautiously curious, which was neat to watch. Eventually it jumped on my hand and went to town, doing what they do best. I think it realized what I was doing when I was adjusting the rock...it moved to the other side of the tank and sat there watching the whole time. Then when I was done it went to the other side to check out how things had changed. Since he made his claim to the little arch/tunnel I made on that side I didn't want to disturb that, and ultimately that's what made adjusting my rock difficult. Didn't want it to stress it out by being too different too fast or anything. I'm new to this so I don't even know if that matters...but yeah. Just took that into consideration 'cause I want it to be happy.

How many Cleaner Shrimp can I add in a six gallon? I read they are happier in groups, but don't want to overdo it. I was just curious about that. Wouldn't mind having another one at least.

Here on Friday i'll be picking up a Yellow Watchman Goby to add to the tank...I'm really excited about that. Have been tempted to go get him earlier but what's the rush? A couple/few extra days of quarantine won't hurt.

Coralline algae is starting to come along nicely. Definitely doesn't look like my rocks are as brand new as they were when I first put it all together...so that's neat. It's the little things like that that I've enjoyed about the tank. Still planning my bigger tank build...40 gallon? 50? 60? Custom sizing? Leaning more towards custom. I want a long, shallow-ish tank but none have fit the dimensions I'm looking for yet. Like so many other things, we'll see.

That's all for now...what do you guys think?

Bummer about the cleaner shrimp. I recommend a Red Sea Reefer tank- incredible quality, silent, and super sleek. Look into it :)

xHereFishyFishyFishyx

Looks nice

Bummer about the cleaner shrimp. I recommend a Red Sea Reefer tank- incredible quality, silent, and super sleek. Look into it :)

Will do! Thanks!

Archived