Cultivated Reef

A Shallow Reef

ml86743

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice setup. I love the shot of that hawk nose sitting on that high perch.

Thanks! He is a really cool fish, he'll sit up there and just observe all day. Really nice addition to the aquarium.

tanks doing well today, looking around for some cool zoa morphs. I also want to add one more birdnest and the ORA pearlberry acro.

What a weekend it has been...Long story short the sump from Cadlights began leaking, woke up around 6:15am yesterday to water all over the floor. Drained the sump, set the little clown in the 11 gal I have upstairs with his nem and inspected the sump. Turns out there was a crack underneath, i guess it was unnoticeable on arrival and maybe the weight of the water and such made it worse.

so now...

HERE

VLXhZLk.jpg

What a cool sump, I'm really enjoying the style and setup.

FTS June 5th

I8CLBUS.jpg

<3

tpNNrpS.jpg

Dang glad you got it taken care of! Tank is looking great!

Thanks! It wasnt too bad because we caught the leak early enough to prevent most of the water from draining. I really enjoy the new sump though, Eshopps makes some quality products, and my clown is loving the new little fuge!

Got the ATO hooked back up, I have a lot more room underneath the cabinet now which is nice. I can fit one of the water bricks in there for the RO reservoir. Found my ORA green birdnest the other day, can't wait until it grows into a nice colony of greenness:) I'd still like to get my hand on a pearlberry acro..or maye Kat has some frags of the KAT:)

Love the elegance coral...

Thanks man! Your tank if a huge reason why I picked up the shallow...

I've had that elegance for about a year and a half at this point and i'd say its my most beloved piece, along with the torch, which is a little bit older. Really an eye catching piece. Its not the crazy color morphs they have out there, but it defiantly adds a really nice element to the tank. Not to mention the clowns love it:)

This was a couple months ago in the old 40, i swear if i stretched it out when it was that extended, it was probabaly pushing 18 inches. I'm hoping he starts expading like that in the new tank, it would look so cool!

23643522229_6241f27854_b.jpgIMG_1828 by Ty D, on Flickr

The new sump is holding over really nicely, I really enjoy the way its designed, just seems more practical and efficient. The fuge section is way nice and has some decent flow, I dont need to use the Korilla nano anymore! It's quiet too, I can barley hear the drain when the cabinet doors are open!

Today the tank looked pretty good, I've cut down on the dosing over the past few days, the sump change added about 15 gallons of fresh water to the system at once, naturally the alk went up.

I'm seeing some very nice growth on the cyph which is really exciting, I think the rocks I got from macro have some really nice contour and that a cyph would look really cool encrusting on it.

The RBTA from the 10 is starting to get some bubbles back in his tips! I really think he's been enjoying the new tank.

SO. so far so good! Looking forward to some growth from the corals.

Tanks looking great today, I'm gonna bust out the DSLR in a few hours. Work got rained out, HELL YEAH.

Come on, you can't leave this thread hanging with a teaser post like this!

:lol: Seriously, it looks great! Sorry I missed the new thread :)

Come on, you can't leave this thread hanging with a teaser post like this!

:lol: Seriously, it looks great! Sorry I missed the new thread :)

Ask and you shall receive!

June 15 FTS

yk0BU9c.jpg

HQ3eJVd.jpg

Rainbow Monti

fsV8C0W.jpg

Beyoootifull milee with a mandy photobomb!

U3oIpow.jpg

bZ1FjIZ.jpg

Anyone have luck with dosing potassium? I heard it correlates with better coloration with SPS. Thanks for the advice!

Tanks looking good mate, the only potassium i dose is in my salt mix. Its not really something i worry about.

Thanks I appreciate it, I've just seen some tanks running K and the end result is colors that pop. Not really a concern of mine as well.. But I have a brand new bottle of the brightwell aquatics stuff from awhile ago that I wanted to use up.

I find testing for K really hard, most of the test kits are a prick to use or hard to read. There might be better ones out there though.

I find testing for K really hard, most of the test kits are a prick to use or hard to read. There might be better ones out there though.

Yeah they are damn expensive too, the Red Sea kit is almost 70 bucks at a few of my local LFS.

Power went out this morning before work! Boss "So, tell me why were you running late this morning" me, "I had to kick the generator on so my fish wouldn't die". Boss "I hope they're some pretty damn expensive fish" :) #reefkeepers

Yeah, I've been late to work more than once dealing with tank emergencies :)

The FTS looks fantastic! What is you fish stocking list now?

Beautiful tank! Do you actually have a jawfish and a firefish with no top on the tank? I'm not quite brave enough to try that but love both those fish I just can't stand looking at a rimless tank with a top on it.

Yeah, I've been late to work more than once dealing with tank emergencies :)

The FTS looks fantastic! What is you fish stocking list now?

Thanks ! Currently I have a pair of pearly jawfish, long nose hawk, 3 clowns one is in the sump(the pair despise him), firefish, Cardinal, green mandarin and a wheelers shrimp goby who is currently MIA:(

Beautiful tank! Do you actually have a jawfish and a firefish with no top on the tank? I'm not quite brave enough to try that but love both those fish I just can't stand looking at a rimless tank with a top on it.

I do have a mesh top that's only on when nobody is home, I found that once the jawfish settle in they really aren't very cautious. They have no problem telling the other fishes off. The firefish has never jumped for me either, she lives in the PVC pipe with the montis. Whenever she's scared she slides right in. Thanks for the compliment!

Archived