Innovative Marine Aquariums

A Shallow Reef

ml86743

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

REDFISH. Hauled in this puppy right at the dock at my school! I have formed such a bond with Redfish...truly amazing animals. Really interesting behavior patterns and such a joy to fight. Drag screamin' rod bendin' action.

Just goin through some old pictures.. :)

21776623253_cef07666fe_b.jpgIMG_-1mcomc by Ty D, on Flickr

This little dude I got a few days ago. Looks like a cross between a red and a kingfish...dunno:)

26307502092_004ece3e41_b.jpgTD by Ty D, on Flickr

18745285145_1ba76feba5_b.jpgIMG_1469.CR2 by Ty D, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PICTURES:)

26803270986_d42f746fb3_b.jpgZOAS by Ty D, on Flickr

26232035454_2ec3fd6481_b.jpgJAWFISH by Ty D, on Flickr

26769842031_a59e843913_b.jpgFTS MAY5 by Ty D, on Flickr

26803147326_50525e8c6a_b.jpgBRAIN by Ty D, on

Flickr

Still figuring out a few things, trying to get Alk where I'd like it to be...dialing in the simmer....adjusting light intensity. We are well on our way though, everything transferred nicely!

I honestly think tearing down the old tanks was more stressful than moving things over to the new tank...Anyways I'm going to put some more pictures up tomorrow!

There shall be a surprise.. :owned:

Cencalfishguy56

I honestly think tearing down the old tanks was more stressful than moving things over to the new tank...Anyways I'm going to put some more pictures up tomorrow!

There shall be a surprise.. :owned:

finally!! :D

FTS May 11th

26888456251_fe3d7805d7_b.jpgFTS MAY11th by Ty D, on Flickr

SURPRISE ! New fraaand, Sherbert the longnose:)

26351551094_e1d72cdf10_b.jpgHAWKFISH by Ty D, on Flickr

Side

26923306556_2f691a0857_b.jpgSIDESHOT by Ty D, on Flickr

UPDATE:

Still moving some things around, if you see the recent FTS the hermit crabs were climbing all over the poor brain so the front side is a bit pinched up:( Alk is behaving well, I've been monitoring daily. I CANT DIAL IN THIS SKIMMER FOR THE LIFE OF ME. Its such a pain....

Other than that I have a few zoas that aren't too happy with the move.

I need some coral to fill in the blank spaceszzz.

My rocks are starting to turn greeeen, welcome to the uglies.

I have to say, I'm really enjoying this tank. The layout is perfect! I'll post some more pictures for tomorrow! Goal for this thread: Take 1 FTS a day, I think it'd be so cool to look back on a day by day progression of a new aquarium.

Early in this thread I posted my concerns about the merger of my three clownfish, and obviously it didnt work out. As soon as they were introduced the solo clown from the 10 went straight into the elegance with the pair. It was really cute seeing the 3 chilin' in the elegance...so i thought "sweet, they're good to go. Nope..the male clown from the pair would NOT let the new guy near his sugar momma. The funny thing is, she seemed okay with it! I would have thought the female would be more hostile. Alas, mr solo is currently residing in the sump with his nem pal. I figured I throw Dave's tide underneath and it's actually pretty darn cool. I think I'm going to try to create a mini reef in that area! Its pretty small, but I think it would look great!

26691135190_c816a0cca5_b.jpgSUMP by Ty D, on Flickr

Heading to Manhattan aquariums tomorrow! Gonna grab some new corals to fill in the empty space, pictures will follow.

Walked away with a cool mili frag that I hope will color up nicely. Other than that I picked up a few frags of cool zoas, an ORA gonipora, and a blue skinned cyphastrea with orange polyps.

Pictures tomorrow guys i PROMISE. Until then, here's an old shot of one of my carpet nems:)

23816925990_dd0cdf21ee_b.jpgcarpet nem by Ty D, on Flickr

FTS From Today:

IMG_2096_zpsr2fcloqe.jpg

New Zoas:
NEW%20ZOAZ_zpsxo7pwomz.jpg

RIc's:

RIC%20GARDEN_zpslm9gdkjt.jpg

Hawk:

hawk22_zpsuuqfpdve.jpg

Here's the Mile I'm hoping will become very bright green.

mile%202_zpsnq2ylicm.jpg

I have been raising light intensity 5% weekly, currently sitting at 60% intensity. I have some corals like look really good while some are still adjusting. The BTA o the right is beginning to show some promising signs of becoming beautiful. He used to have his sides folded over most of the time, but he's starting to uncurl more often in the new tank. The 10$ birdsnest I picked up is looking very nice and is growing. I didnt get a decent shot of the new goni or Cyph, but I'm hoping they will do well! Ive been able to keep the alk where I want it...Just by testing every day and dosing accordingly. Ive been doing 20 gallon WC weekly, usually 5 gallons every other day. I feed the corals once weekly with a mix of ground up LRS and reef roids.

FINALLY got the skimmer working the way it should...Stayed up pretty late last night figuring it out...By this morning it pulled some serious skimmate out.

I think I have room for one more fish..and I kinda wanna grab a dwarf angel, like a flameback or cherub. Thoughts would be appreciated! I want a swimmer:)

New corals seem to be adjusting well, the mile is showing more PE every day, and hopefully soon it will be all fuzzy:) The brain has been PO'ed recently, I think from the hermit attack haha but the area that was cut is almost healed, he just needs to expand again.

Just hoping I can bring out some really nice colors in the future, waiting to save up some cash for a K test as I have a bottle of brightwell aquatics potassium to dose if need be. I think I'm off to a good start and I'm hoping I can maximize my SPS growth and coloration to where I want it. I'm going to place an order online for some nice acros soon I think. Legendary corals also has that mace-windu portie that I wanna buy right now...we'll see:)

Happy reefing.

Cleaning all the old gear from the IM 40 is saddening in a way..I learned a lot from that setup:) Defiantly going to miss it...but I'm gonna sell off all the stuff I dont need anymore.

Going to take some more pictures tomorrow I think.

Looking GREAT!!!! I don't know how I missed the new tank going up :)

Well thanks Stella! I'm really enjoying it so far!

The alveopora is one of the corals that has struggled since the move, recently moved him to a new location, hoping he makes a speedy recovery. It was growing so well in the 40. Gave it some more light and flow at a higher location. It had some algae growing on part of the skeleton:(

Guys I need some help with this stupid skimmer....I currently have both water valves 100%open and the air intake dialed way down, probably about 85%. The skimmer is sitting in 8inches of water (8-10 recommended for the Nyos) I have it set this way so it wouldnt overflow, but the issue is when I have the air intake that low the bubble productions just blows AND i get tons of microbubbles shooting out of the water tube adjustment. Its broken in, its been in the tank since march I've resembled/checked all the parts and there are no issues I can see. Even with the water valves all open the water seems to still be way to high in the skimmer chamber which would lead me to believe I should raise the skimmer up(cant drop the water level cause of the fuge) But that would take the skimmer out of the recommended depth. Its really pissing me off, to the point where I'm about to buy a new damn skimmer.

rickztahone

Guys I need some help with this stupid skimmer....I currently have both water valves 100%open and the air intake dialed way down, probably about 85%. The skimmer is sitting in 8inches of water (8-10 recommended for the Nyos) I have it set this way so it wouldnt overflow, but the issue is when I have the air intake that low the bubble productions just blows AND i get tons of microbubbles shooting out of the water tube adjustment. Its broken in, its been in the tank since march I've resembled/checked all the parts and there are no issues I can see. Even with the water valves all open the water seems to still be way to high in the skimmer chamber which would lead me to believe I should raise the skimmer up(cant drop the water level cause of the fuge) But that would take the skimmer out of the recommended depth. Its really pissing me off, to the point where I'm about to buy a new damn skimmer.

Just try a different height, maybe even a small amount of raising may help your issue? Put it on a flat piece of egg crate?

Just try a different height, maybe even a small amount of raising may help your issue? Put it on a flat piece of egg crate?

Okay doing a WC tonight ill raise it by .5 of an inch. I thought about the egg crates, I actually had a rubber-maid in there and it helped slightly, but the next morning the skimmer had overflowed

I've been working like a dog at the bar recently, should have some time for pictures Sunday. Other than the stupid skimmer, the tanks doing really well. I've added a ORA Blue Voodoo stag and some Acans which I really love. The mile seems to be getting greener which I'm excited about. Thats another goal of mine for this tank, to really pull out some awesome colors from the corals.

I'm thinking about adding a lemonpeel angel for my last fish. Your thought/trials with this fish? I think some yellow would make the tank pop a little more.

Some Pictures:

Toad stool from Lalani :)

26599639393_63055c5ba1_b.jpgtoadstool by Ty D, on Flickr

New Zoozz Bam Bams?

26929660080_9d1b9df6af_b.jpgorange zooz by Ty D, on Flickr

Lil Clown with his nem in ze sump

26929661580_53a9d98377_b.jpglilclown by Ty D, on Flickr

The Couple

26598303544_56f703005f_b.jpgjf2 by Ty D, on Flickr

Female Clown chillin' it

27204772395_58259bd1a0_b.jpghiclown by Ty D, on Flickr

27170872396_f48872cf7d_b.jpgzoooz by Ty D, on Flickr

The growth on this torch has been unbelievable over the past few years.

FTS

26599583183_7782245f4c_b.jpgfts by Ty D, on Flickr

Topdown

27135728051_6bb35cd3bc_b.jpgtd1 by Ty D, on Flickr

Hawk Point:

26929583450_4c3c85de91_b.jpghawk point by Ty D, on Flickr

Green Goni

26929575640_d086ce2371_b.jpggreen goni by Ty D, on Flickr

Sump Shot, the skimmer is finally behaving..

26929566050_7147faaa6d_b.jpgsumpie by Ty D, on Flickr

Brain

27135650701_e60b4b17f5_b.jpgbrain 2 by Ty D, on Flickr

Now that the Nyos is working I really enjoy it...I think I was just being a little impatient! I also find photographing this tank with its dimensions provides me with a few obstacles when shooting. FTS shots are hard!

My Hybrid is putting out a really natural spectrum and I'm diggin the way the tanks looking. I have a few pieces that I hope will show some good color in the near future.

As far as routine I've just been changing 20 gallons of water throughout the week and I dose in the morning with reefusion1&2.

Its coming along nicely :) Looking forward to the future.

Hey I'm looking for a 30x30x12 tank what is your tank size and brand please?

Its made by Cadlights and its their 45 shallow package. Its like 36x24x12.

Archived