Cultivated Reef

Orlando Bound - Can I Fly w/ Corals?

Magick

I'm heading to Orlando in April and I would love some suggestions of LFSs that I should visit while I'm in town.

Would also like to know if I can/how to best to bring any new treasures home on the flight with me.

Thanks in advance!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm heading to Orlando in April and I would love some suggestions of LFSs that I should visit while I'm in town.

Would also like to know if I can/how to best to bring any new treasures home on the flight with me.

Thanks in advance!!

When in April? Towards the ending of April there is a big show with great vendors.

Hammerstone

I might be wrong but I don't think the airport would let you bring anything living on a plane. Just call and ask first.?

Good luck and have fun!!!

I might be wrong but I don't think the airport would let you bring anything living on a plane. Just call and ask first.

Good luck and have fun!!!

You are wrong. Pets are allowed in the cabin if they fit under the seat in front of you in a carrier.

HM has brought coral back in a carry on before. I guess all you have to do is keep the water to a minimum and tell them it is a living coral before the Xray.

Getting corals through TSA screening can be really hit or miss since they're in water. Technically the TSA rule is that if there is a live creature in the water, it can be carried on, but the problem there is that most TSA agents can't tell if coral is "alive" and it's up to their discretion if they let you take the it through. It's much less risk to get through with fish in terms of carryon since they're swimming and visibly alive.

If you want to fly with coral, I'd pack them into your checked bag. That's what I've done on several occasions without issue. I just bought a big Tupperware with those snap lid closures that make a really good seal and then placed my coral bags with padding into that Tupperware. Then I put the Tupperware down into the center of my suitcase and made sure it was held in place by the clothes. You want to make sure it's in the middle and insulated with clothes because it gets cold in the cargo hold during a flight. Taping a heat pack inside the lid of the Tupperware can be a great idea too. Anyways, this method has worked out great for me on the couple occasions that I've done it.

pewpewkittah

I know that airports don't like liquids on your carry on, unless they are under 4oz, which could be difficult with some corals... I doubt bags of corals would be an exception. You could place them in a well protected box (with heat packs) in your checked baggage. They don't really care about what you bring on the plane then, as long as its not a coral bomb :lol:. If you are going into or making a transfer within a state with strict livestock regulations (Hawaii), I would not recommend it. Expect your bag to be searched and left in a state that you did not leave it.

As for LFS to check out; definitely hit up Living Reefs. It's on the East Side of Orlando and really is a sight to be seen, even if you're just looking at their display tanks. They have a HUGE selection of corals and they aren't too badly priced either. If you are going to be in Orlando on April 23-24, you could check out ReefAPalooza! Sorry I don't know more LFS, I don't make a trip to Orlando very often with being on the Coast and all.

jamescstein

You could also get a foam box. (LFS's would probably give you one) and pack it like you were going to ship it.. Then check the box as baggage.

Last time I was in Orlando I stopped by the following.

World Wide Corals

Sea in the City

Ocean Blue Aquarium

Living Reef

Wasn't disappointed with any of them.

Not 100 percent on the whole flying with corals thing but I def can help with what stores to check out while youre here. Here are my top 3.

Top Shelf Aquatics: by far my number 1 spot. Amazing coral amd fish selection and pretty reasonable prices as well.

Living reef: definitely my number 2. A lot of my coral was bought from them. Very cool store with all reef savy displays and frag tanks

World Wide Coral: I dont buy much from them because they have a pretty high price tag but its just one of those places you have to step foot into at least once.

There are other storea but I honestly would aim to get the 3 above done first and then after that maybe see what else you have time for. Hope that helps

Have the LFS ship your new corals back to your home. Then you don't have to worry, and risk not getting them through TSA.

TSA ultimatly can take them away if they feel like it and some of those guys are dicks. Best bet would be in checked luggage inside a cooler.

You could also get a foam box. (LFS's would probably give you one) and pack it like you were going to ship it.. Then check the box as baggage.

Last time I was in Orlando I stopped by the following.

World Wide Corals

Sea in the City

Ocean Blue Aquarium

Living Reef

Wasn't disappointed with any of them.

also checkout top shelf aquatics.

Getting corals through TSA screening can be really hit or miss since they're in water. Technically the TSA rule is that if there is a live creature in the water, it can be carried on, but the problem there is that most TSA agents can't tell if coral is "alive" and it's up to their discretion if they let you take the it through. It's much less risk to get through with fish in terms of carryon since they're swimming and visibly alive.

If you want to fly with coral, I'd pack them into your checked bag. That's what I've done on several occasions without issue. I just bought a big Tupperware with those snap lid closures that make a really good seal and then placed my coral bags with padding into that Tupperware. Then I put the Tupperware down into the center of my suitcase and made sure it was held in place by the clothes. You want to make sure it's in the middle and insulated with clothes because it gets cold in the cargo hold during a flight. Taping a heat pack inside the lid of the Tupperware can be a great idea too. Anyways, this method has worked out great for me on the couple occasions that I've done it.

Felicia is spot on. Pack them in your checking bag within a hard box, just like you would package any coral for shipping. Don't risk having the TSA dump out the water in my opinion.

I used this method on my flight back from MACNA last fall and had no issues.

Have the LFS ship your new corals back to your home. Then you don't have to worry, and risk not getting them through TSA.

Winner of the chicken dinner!

I would suggest contacting TSA to see what the liquid restriction is in ounces and keep the water below that amount. You can definitely travel with livestock ie. dogs, birds, and cats. Hell, I've traveled on a plane with a firearm before, I'm sure coral will be fine lol.

I would suggest contacting TSA to see what the liquid restriction is in ounces and keep the water below that amount. You can definitely travel with livestock ie. dogs, birds, and cats. Hell, I've traveled on a plane with a firearm before, I'm sure coral will be fine lol.

:huh:

When I lived in Orlando I never went anywhere else besides Top Shelf and Living Reef.

And lemme tell you Top Shelf has only gotten better in the past 6 months. Theyre expanding now as well so its going to get even better!

Should've also mentioned it's best to check them under the plane with your luggage, not carry them on.

Just don't do this in Canada without proper permits and paperwork done up well in advance, or in a flight with a stopover in Canada. They get really cranky if you do. Really don't do this if you're stopping over at an airport with a military base alongside it (Comox comes to mind) because they just might get the MP's to handle things instead of security.

Just don't do this in Canada without proper permits and paperwork done up well in advance, or in a flight with a stopover in Canada. They get really cranky if you do. Really don't do this if you're stopping over at an airport with a military base alongside it (Comox comes to mind) because they just might get the MP's to handle things instead of security.

Do you mean the firearm? or corals?

Wow... Thanks for all the feedback and recommendations! I think Felicia nailed it. If I find anything I can't live without, I'll pack it well with a hand warmer in my checked baggage.

I've got a 2hr flight - Orlando to Raleigh, NC. I'll be there April 8-11, next year I'll plan better!

Do you mean the firearm? or corals?

Arguably both, because taking coral across the border without a permit would arguably cause even more of a ruckus. But yes, meant firearms. ^_^;;;;

Arguably both, because taking coral across the border without a permit would arguably cause even more of a ruckus. But yes, meant firearms. ^_^;;;;

Carrying firearms on planes is nothing new to the Americas. So is transporting livestock haha I'd say you Canadians need to get with the program. :D:happy:

Archived