Coral Vue Hydros

Sheldon's 7.5g Kitchen Reef

Sheldon_Reef

Sheldon_Reef

I am probably the 1 millionth person to make a 12x12x12 inch reef tank, but its something I have always been interested in. I am going to try my best to document everything that I'm doing, so hopefully I can help everyone (But more likely receive it). The tank is a Deep Blue Professional 12x12x12, I got the Acrylic topper to avoid excessive evaporation. I went with a DIY led set up (Pictures below), where I currently have 9 3W LED's hooked up to a 750 mA CC driver (Daylight), and 3 3W LEDs hooked up to a 350mA CC driver (Moonlight).

Zoomed_Out_Empty.jpg

9 3W LED's with 750 mA: 2 410nm SemiUV, 2 CW, 3 RB, 2 Blue (Image Below shows Day and Night LEDs on)

LED_s_All_On.jpg
3 3W LED's with 350 mA: 1 RB, 2 Blue (Moonlight Only)

Moon_LED_s_On.jpg

I got the heat sink at HeatsinkUSA.com I think. Its 12x6 inches. Currently I have no fan, but plan to add one. As it stands, the LED's are 6 inches above where the waterline will be. I'm going to use arganite sand, a 50 Watt heater set to 78 F, and an AC70 with filter floss and chaeto. I will probably go with 5~7 lb of LR, and haven't decided on going with a fish (Probably a singular 6 line wrasse if I do).

I plan on keeping zoas, torch, xenias, hammer, and mushrooms.

I will try to keep up with pictures as things develop, I'm using LR and water from my other tank, so there shouldn't really be a cycling period. I would love questions or feedback, I probably need all the help I can get.

Sheldon_Reef
Couple Updates. I was able to get sand, LR, water, and corals into the tank. I used components from my other reef to avoid a cycle.

Its still pretty murky from where I moved rock around. I initially rinsed the sand to remove a lot of the dust but apparently multiple rinses should have been done. I will try to get some better pictures when the water clears up. Couple questions: Without a fish in the tank, how do I avoid losing beneficial bacteria? The pictures won't show it, but the corals were opened up more than they have in a while with my other tank. I was happy to see this result (I have nutrient issues with the other tank).

My plans are to add a single six line wrasse, several hermits, and snails (Which ones?). I will do a weekly 1g WC, and dose Red Sea Reef Energy A&B once a week. I would love some comments, criticisms, and feedback!

IMG_20160324_174139.jpg

IMG_20160324_174146.jpg

IMG_20160324_174152.jpg

IMG_20160324_174208.jpg
Sheldon_Reef

Quick Update. Zoas are opening up. Still having problems with my torch and Xenia. The torch was struggling in the other tank as well, so I'm hoping after a couple weeks it will recover.

I am about to order the AC70 to turn into a chaeto house. Please leave some comments/advice/criticisms!

IMG_20160326_120125.jpg

Archived