Innovative Marine Aquariums

JayPagi's 25 Gallon

JayPagi

Silence is key, for me anyway. Maybe I missed it, what skimmer are you going with? Or are you even going to run a skimmer?

For sure running a skimmer. I picked up a used SWC120 from a local, I'm waiting on a new impeller and shaft to arrive before putting it into the sump. Hopefully it produces some decent skimmate.

I am glad to see you finally got it up and running, congratulations! My vote is for damsels.

Yeah me too. I had two blue chromis in my last tank and I loved them but them. I'd like to get more but maybe a different species and this time in odd numbers.

So I installed the protein skimmer last night and well... micro bubble city. I quickly realized I should have placed another baffle in the sump before the refugium. I'm going to try and place a PVC tee and extension on the outlet of the skimmer to divert the water flow down and the micro bubbles up. The PVC extension will break the surface of the water and hopefully the micro bubbles burst within the PVC pipe. fingerscrossed

I also need to raise the skimmer by another inch or two, so fabrication is needed. It works at the current level but the range of adjust ability is quite small.

On a side note the live rock in the sump came with some cool life on it. There are a bunch of small snails and a few giant chitons. So far no nasties but they're always the sneakiest. :ninja:

Hurry up cycle!

• Like 2

Great news! Are you doing a legit cycle, or using cycle boost options?

Legit... I hate testing so I normally wait 3-4 weeks before adding anything. Once cycled I normally test for alk every few days.

• Like 1

Looking really good, l love how neatly everything fits inside the cabinet. I cant wait to see it as it gets stocked and really comes to life.

I saw your post about a local guy (l live in Oshawa) and l assume you're talking about Kris - if so he is a great guy to deal with and his stuff is top quality.

Keep the good psots coming :)

• Like 1

Looking really good, l love how neatly everything fits inside the cabinet. I cant wait to see it as it gets stocked and really comes to life.

I saw your post about a local guy (l live in Oshawa) and l assume you're talking about Kris - if so he is a great guy to deal with and his stuff is top quality.

Keep the good psots coming :)

Oh no way. Is Chris from Reef Addiction?

Yes Kris from reef addiction :) he is great to deal with

Good to know. I've only looked at the website and the fish list every Tuesday but I will be contacting him in the coming weeks. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

So it's been a bit since my last update, this coming weekend the tank will be a month old. Everything seems to be doing really well, I added a small clean up crew and 2 small Zoa colonies I got from a friend. This weekend I'll probably do a water change and add my first fish.

I finally got around to installing my BRS mesh cover. I didn't love the standard clips that you get from BRS so I purchased these window clips from home depot and installed them with SS threaded screws. Really simple install, I just drilled the appropriate sized hole and the screws pretty much tapped themselves in the plastic corners. I think this way is a much tighter fitting cover and a much cleaner look, IMO.

31411945696_a103bae3a6_z.jpg

I also did a small re-scape, I wasn't overly happy with the original. I shifted everything to the left a bit and turned a few rocks to lengthen the base outwards. I'm much happier with it. Here is the OLD/NEW comparison, thoughts?

OLD

30943683626_4aaf4e701f_z.jpg

NEW

31332969861_33242b9d07_z.jpg

Really need to up my picture game.

• Like 5

The new scape is good. The old one wasn't bad either. I like how the 3 little stick out to create little coves.

I like the little coves too, I've also created more flat spots for coral.

i love what you did to the screen! i was trying to figure out what to do with my BRS screen top. i didnt like their clips either and i dont want to just set it on top. great idea!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's a bit of an update. I've added a number of corals, a clown fish and a Bi-Color Blenny. I also changed the scape on the right a bit again, I really like this new view from the side. Anyways Happy New Years everyone.

Quick Photo Dump...

Latest FTS

31636253230_1a5540f391_z.jpg

Side Profile

31862085892_136ca3bc1e_z.jpg

This duncan is doing well.

31862110712_b1af9e076e_z.jpg

Pink Zoa's

31636219190_613885796e_z.jpg

• Like 3

So I've been getting some brown algae in my sand bed which I figured it was my RO water as I have tested Nitrates/Phosphates and their levels are still pretty low being a new tank and all. My big RO reservoir is at 0 TDS but when I transfer the water to the tank I'm at 2 or 3 TDS. I figure that's the source of my algae issues.

Question is how is this happening? I use a small pump with a piece of tube to fill up the ATO in the sump area which I recently gave a vinegar bath. After I finish using the pump I generally rinse it out with non RO water and hang it to dry. So maybe there are some small droplets of non RO water left over inside the pump and tube which are causing my issues?!

I figure this is where I'm going to start. I'll be taking the pump apart properly and letting it dry out 100% between uses.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Nice build so far. Looks great. As for your ATO tds, maybe you have some splash into the reservoir from your sump? the pump and hose you use to transfer could be a source as well. Maybe give your pump a good vinegar bath too?

• 8 months later...