Innovative Marine Aquariums

JayPagi's 25 Gallon

JayPagi

Well I guess I'm back... it feels good. I picked up a 24" x 16" x 16" low iron frameless today. I've been working on the sump for a few weeks now and gathering new equipment since December. I still have to build/buy a stand but I hope to start that in the next couple of weeks. It's going to be a slow build but this will hopefully be a long term setup.

25921548106_12593b346c_z.jpg

• Like 4

Here is a short equipment list, most of which I picked up on local buy/sell sites and some are left over from my previous builds.

SWC 120 Skimmer

AI Vega Colour + director

BRS media reactors (1 x Carbon/GFO, 1 x Bio Pellets)

EcoTech MP10

Elos Osmocontroller

20G long sump (5 Chambers with a build in ATO reservoir)

No controller yet, will also will be looking for a DC return pump and a dosing unit at some point.

• Like 1

Still deciding on an overflow box for this build and I just don't know what to do. I love the ghost overflow but I don't have much space behind the tank. Was thinking of doing a corner overflow with a herbie drain but I'm wrestling with the thought of giving up that much space and having to silicone it in place too.

Anyone have any new ideas?

I finished the filter sock plate today, really happy with it. I used a 3-3/4" hole saw and the filter socks just snap in nice and flush.

26053463775_18ec6c905a_z.jpg

Pulled the trigger on a low profile box from Modular Marine. Now I can focus my attention on the tank cabinet. I'm very impatient at this point in time, HURRY UP PROCESS!

25533114153_c19445237e.jpg

• Like 3
Mr. Microscope

I hadn't heard about Modular Marine! I think I might have to go with one of those as well. Here I thought I'd have to spend $200 on the Ghost. I'll be interested to hear about your experiences with this one. I'm thinking about the 800GHP one for my 40B build.

• Like 2

I hadn't heard about Modular Marine! I think I might have to go with one of those as well. Here I thought I'd have to spend $200 on the Ghost. I'll be interested to hear about your experiences with this one. I'm thinking about the 800GHP one for my 40B build.

New to me too. Did some searching found them on eBay first. Then linked the site and was amazed at the pricing. When it arrives I'll be sure to take some other pictures and review the quality.

Beautiful tank, was it custom built?

Thank-you, it's not actually. I found it at a local store here in Toronto. They're made with low iron glass out of China. The build quality seems really good.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

New to me too. Did some searching found them on eBay first. Then linked the site and was amazed at the pricing. When it arrives I'll be sure to take some other pictures and review the quality.

Fantastic! Can't wait to see.

• Like 1

Fantastic! Can't wait to see.

Neither can I, lol.

Following along. I like the scape idea.

Thanks! I'm not sure if that design is the final scape. I've come across a couple of tanks on the interwebs that are influencing my plans.

So this is kinda where I'm at with the tank stand design, I'll be using 1" MDF or 24mm Ply. I'm concerned about all the weight in the centre of the stand and the lack of support in that area. Might have to come up with a slick idea for bracing.

26131389781_0d19c8f860_z.jpg

Sweet dimensions on the tank. Is the sump DYI or manufatured?

Hey thanks. It's a DIY, started as a 20g long and I've added glass baffles.

• 5 months later...

Well now that summers over, I've had some time to get back at this tank. I finally drilled the 60mm hole for the overflow and I attached it yesterday. I'm currently in the process of mocking up all the plumbing. Hopefully.... hopefully this thing will be wet before November... 2017 haha jk.

29940879051_3cef78c5fd.jpg

This is how is stands... pun intended. :wacko:

30024318155_80d5b26015.jpg

Looks good so far, any ideas on what your going to stock?

Thanks... Not really. Mixed reef for sure but in terms of fish I have no idea yet. I want a goby of some kind and a blenny but nothing written in stone yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Received a box of crucial plumbing parts today :) . Final plumbing and electronics can now be installed, hopefully this tank is up and cycling in 2 weeks or less. So excited!

More progress... a huge to do list left but I'm getting somewhere. The sump area is extremely tight and I still need to mount two mini brs media reactors in there :unsure: but I'll make it work. Oh ya... doors too, haha.

Here's a shot of the drain plumbing all finished. I started on the return side last night but ran out of steam at 11:30.

30260188710_18c22c9b94.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good. Figured out which return pump yet?

No not yet. I have an Eheim Compact 1000 to get me going but I fear it's not enough flow to supply the reactors and the return line. So I'm leaning towards a Jebao DCS 3000. Any thoughts?

One a side note I came across a local guy that works out of his house who sells a wider variety of fish species than my local shops carry. Pretty excited about that. I'll see how that relationship works out soon... I hope.

• Like 1

No not yet. I have an Eheim Compact 1000 to get me going but I fear it's not enough flow to supply the reactors and the return line. So I'm leaning towards a Jebao DCS 3000. Any thoughts?

I used a Jebao 3000 on my last build and loved it. I just got another one for my new build as well.

• Like 1