Coral Vue Hydros

New fluval evo 5, slowly but surely!

Robert_R

Hey everyone! Ive been wanting to start another reef tank for some time. I few years ago i had an aqueon evolve 5, though with live sand and LR it only held about 3 gallons. Though it was up for about a year before i had to tear it down because i was moving.

But last week i went to my lfs and they had a fluval evo 5! So I immediately bought it. I love how this tank looks! On wednesday 3-15-2016 i went and picked up some saltwater, live rock, sand and a heater. And set up my tank!

image_2.jpeg

Glad to see that these tanks are finally starting to get out... Wonder if Steve's media baskets fit the Evo's as well, or if they'll have to make a different one.

Ahhh, good to know. Wonder if they've reached Canada yet. That and the Evo 12.

... ......The Evo 5 looks surprisingly similar to the Spec V, just in black.

Im not sure. I bought the only evo5 in my area. I evem went to a specalty shop about an hour from here and they keep asking for them but keep getting the specV.

And i think they are exactly the same, just different light fixtures and maybe a slightly different pump. Its rated at 80gph. Not sure what the specV is though.

From what little I could find out online, it's a revised Spec V... Better lighting, same filtration, and most of the frame is black instead of silver. ^_^

makingfilms

From what little I could find out online, it's a revised Spec V... Better lighting, same filtration, and most of the frame is black instead of silver. ^_^

I had an evo and That is exactly what it is. lighting is better but it still is severely under powered. I ran mine with a current orbit marine led but not the pro. I upgraded everything to a twenty a few weeks ago and I am converting my evo into a planted tank one day. Easy mods I reccomend that can be done are:

Intank media basket. (yes it fits)

and the new aqueoun pump mod instead of the 606 Steve has info on his site

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Aqueon-QuietFlow-Submersible-Utility-Pump-600-ES06616.htm

So its been a week since starting my tank. Ive checked for calcium, carbonate hardness, phosphates and nitrates, calcium is around 340ppm, carbonate hardness is around 7dkh or 125 ppm kh and phosphates and nitrates are both at 0.

Ive been having a diatom bloom for a few days now. Mostly on the rocks slowly covering my sand, From what ive seen most people just let the bloom happen and let it kill itself off. Should i do the same with my tank? Its been a while sice ive had a tank. Oh and heres a pic as of yesterday. image_4.jpeg

So it seems the diatom bloom is over and the copepod bloom is happening. They are all over the glass and rocks. Makes me think my glass is dirty.

image_5.jpeg

As you can see there is alot less brown algea. Just some white stuff floating in the tank. Almost 2 weeks old!

Indiana Reefin

I have a spec V and love it!

I DIY'd my light fixture. I kept the same fixture housing and bought 6 LED's with individual heat sinks. Project cost me around $75 and it turned out pretty well. I liked how sleek the fixture looked. If you want to drop the $ I would recommend bullying a tide. Totally worth the money, I just like to DIY.

Tank looks really nice so far. Definitely get the in tank media basket, filter floss, chemi pure, purigon, and the aqueon 600 pump. The stock pump doesn't put out enough flow and the tank is too small for a power head IMO

Thanks for the info! Ill be picking the media basket and pump next week! Ive been looking into lights as well. So far alot of people use the current marine orbit, but im not too sure what i want. I almost bought the new fluval light bar but i havent seem how well it does in other tanks yet.

So its been almost 3 weeks now. Ive had a hydrozan jellyfish outbreak. Ive probably taken like 50 of them out so far. But i guess its pretty common! And my diatom bloom is now covering my glass and alot of sand. Here are some pictures

image_7.jpeg

image_8.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks ninja! The first week i had it i just kept moving everything around until it just fell into place. Cant wait to get some life and a CUC

• 9 months later...

I'm regretting buying the Fluval spec EVO. Why? Because you still need upgrade the light and the pump for more advance corals. Second it does not come with the color white. I could have bought an Fluval spec V white color for $59.99 and spend the $40 on light and pump up grades. Now I'm just like damn paid $40 more for the color I don't like and buying all the upgrades I need for advance corals. I wished I did more research about this and I wished I did not trust this video.

For the people who are thinking of getting the Fluval spec Evo dont get it if you want advance corals. Get the fluval spec V upgrade it your self and you will have a more beastier nano tank and save $40 bucks lol
  • 7 months later...