Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Rookie's first SW tank - Updated 4-18

Rookie1

Well, after a visit to an impressive LFS I was given some advise pertaining to my pukani rock. I was told this stuff can be a bear to cycle and it was recommended that I rinse the crap (literally) out of it. Although I did that when I started my tank I guess as stuff softens up more rinsing can be beneficial.

So, advise taken. I put my rock in a 5 gallon bucket and rinsed with salt water from my siphon as I drained my tank. Once the bucket was full I proceeded to spin, dunk, and twirl the rock in the bucket for a good while. Sssoooo much crud came out of that rock!!! Once I was content with the dunking and twirling I threw the rock in the sink and did a final rinse with that bucket of water.

Threw the rock back in the tank and refilled with water from an established tank the LFS store was happy to set me up with. I also added three small pieces of live rock from them as well. Once is covered in coralline!!

Six hours later, almost no nitrites (.25ppm probably)

26367857075_bee8beea45_c.jpg

Waited till today to test again, looks like zero nitrites.

26275484692_eb6cdd1b7c_c.jpg

And the nice piece with coralline.

25765121503_d10a6eec9d_c.jpg

The only drawback is that due to the water change I have no nitrates, and thus no algae bloom. Not sure if I should do a little feeding to get some going for a CUC or get a fish to accomplish that. Either way, I'm going to probably give the tank till the weekend to make sure everything is stable.

Start slow with cuc. Don't get a package with like 20 snails. Start with one or two snails only. Dwarf ceriths are useless. trochus and astrea are good for algae. Nassarius is good for scavenging. Skip turbos in such a small tank.

Whats up guys! I literally just setup my own Fluvial Spec V and this thread is awesome so far I will post a picture of my tank soon still in the acclimation process and waiting for the algae bloom.

So once vote for a light clean up crew first. Would I need to feed em, or feed the tank to get some algae growin' for them??

For a 5 gallon tank a light cleanup crew is all that is needed, especially for a newly setup tank. Start with a few like the above poster mentioned and go from there. A cleanup crew is simply to supplement a good routine of frequent water changes, correct feedings, and manual cleaning. There will be enough nutrition available for a small cleanup crew once the tank is completely cycled, don't go overboard on feeding the tank.

Whats up guys! I literally just setup my own Fluvial Spec V and this thread is awesome so far I will post a picture of my tank soon still in the acclimation process and waiting for the algae bloom.

Why wait?? Let's everyone see it as it grows and progresses.

I want to pull out the DSLR this week and get some good shots of mine. So far only cell phone pics.

Why wait?? Let's everyone see it as it grows and progresses.

I want to pull out the DSLR this week and get some good shots of mine. So far only cell phone pics.

its in my signature!

Archived