ReefCleaners.org

An Engineer's first struggle with Life Sciences - BELATED UPDATE! Corals!

mooker

I spent last night re-wiring the ATO to make it a little cleaner looking and a little more robust.

First, I soldered and added heatshrink to all the connections. Then I moved as much wiring as I could into a tupperware container:

26697335685_828ca67b1f_k.jpg

During this process, I decided to add a JST-XH 4 pin connector (leftover from my quadcopter hobby) so that I could unplug the power supply/relay from the rest of the system. I also added some stylish purple braided sleeving (see: quadcopters :P ) to neaten up the wires coming from the float switches B)

26093295013_e9eea4cb16_k.jpg

Here's what the system looks like in situ:

26604270132_47b55c2bba_k.jpg

Closeup of improved cabled situation:

26604270272_8f7707df0f_k.jpg

Looks good! I'm jealous :)

• Like 1

While I was gone over the weekend, my nitrate levels seems to have shot up. They were 10 ppm when I left, 20 ppm yesterday, and 30 ppm when I just checked them today. I'm not sure what's going on :tears:

Anyway, updated FTS:

26800253485_c83310fbdd_k.jpg

Trying to shoot/edit in raw with my phone, it's a bit of a struggle so far...

• Like 2

While I was gone over the weekend, my nitrate levels seems to have shot up. They were 10 ppm when I left, 20 ppm yesterday, and 30 ppm when I just checked them today. I'm not sure what's going on :tears:

Anyway, updated FTS:

26800253485_c83310fbdd_k.jpg

Trying to shoot/edit in raw with my phone, it's a bit of a struggle so far..

I've been fighting the same thing. Luckily I have kept mine below 10 with frequent water changes. I believe it's just new tank syndrome, you thought your cycle was complete but not all the way maybe. Maybe one of your CUC died and caused a small spike. Do some water changes and get that number down or face the green haired devil weed! (GHA). Edit: Stir up your sand bed while your there in case you have trapped nitrates, need something that sifts sand in your CUC or your gonna have to manually stir often.

• Like 1

I've been fighting the same thing. Luckily I have kept mine below 10 with frequent water changes. I believe it's just new tank syndrome, you thought your cycle was complete but not all the way maybe. Maybe one of your CUC died and caused a small spike. Do some water changes and get that number down or face the green haired devil weed! (GHA). Edit: Stir up your sand bed while your there in case you have trapped nitrates, need something that sifts sand in your CUC or your gonna have to manually stir often.

Yeah, theoretically I have snails that should be sifting my sand bed, but you're right it needed cleaning. Stirred it up a bit and did a smallish water change, I hope that helps...

• Like 1

Yeah, theoretically I have snails that should be sifting my sand bed, but you're right it needed cleaning. Stirred it up a bit and did a smallish water change, I hope that helps...

My snails are slackers too.

• Like 1

Just spent a little longer on that previous FTS, this time in lightroom:

26780608976_e00835c541_k.jpg

What a difference good software makes! Would you believe it's the same picture??

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

Looking good to me! A decent skimmer should help your nitrates by removing organics in the water. I likebthe pink ato as well!

I am alittle biased when it comes to the fusion 10 ;)

• Like 1

Looking good to me! A decent skimmer should help your nitrates by removing organics in the water. I likebthe pink ato as well!

I am alittle biased when it comes to the fusion 10 ;)

Thanks! Trying to get my DIY skimmer working is next on my list... Hopefully will be up and running this weekend!

• Like 2

I think I've got my prototype skimmer working :lol:

Pictures first!

26841338716_d43dc92af7_k.jpg

It's just a plastic graduated cylinder with the base chopped off and replaced with a 3D printed head. I'm using a wood air "stone" and a cheap air pump for now.

26602501120_5d8a5c0d57_k.jpg

26270115544_7ae9d12cba_k.jpg

I'm still fine-tuning the height, but hopefully it'll actually start pulling some skimmate soon!

• Like 2

Pictures first!

It's just a plastic graduated cylinder with the base chopped off and replaced with a 3D printed head. I'm using a wood air "stone" and a cheap air pump for now.

I'm still fine-tuning the height, but hopefully it'll actually start pulling some skimmate soon!

I knew you engineers were good for something other than screwing up my aircraft at work :haha:. Nice DIY work!

• Like 1

I knew you engineers were good for something other than screwing up my aircraft at work :haha:. Nice DIY work!

Haha, thanks!

Looks like my nitrate levels are back down to 10ppm. I'll chalk it down to cleaning the sand bed!

• Like 2

LFS just emailed me saying they have GBGs in stock -- through a week quarantine so far, eating frozen food. They want $75 for the 3 they have.

Unless any of you think that price is totally unreasonable, I'm gonna go pick them up monday! Very excited!

• Like 1

LFS just emailed me saying they have GBGs in stock -- through a week quarantine so far, eating frozen food. They want $75 for the 3 they have.

Unless any of you think that price is totally unreasonable, I'm gonna go pick them up monday! Very excited!

Go for it! Of course I have no idea what GBGs are.

• Like 1

GBG = green banded goby :)

$25 is a bit high but most LFS's don't want to stock them since they're so small and aren't really all that great for big tanks. So you kind of have to pay whatever they want when they come in.

I got 5 for $20 plus $45 shipping from a guy on Ebay. I've also paid $12 each at the Lfs.

• Like 5

TY Teenyreef! Just couldn't figure out "GBG" for the life of me!

Now I have something I can Google and Ogle at :P:lol:

• Like 3

TY Teenyreef! Just couldn't figure out "GBG" for the life of me!

Now I have something I can Google and Ogle at :P:lol:

Just zoom in on my avatar :)
  • Like 2

That sucker is awesome looking! Too bad that LiveAquaria is "Out of Stock".

But Then again, I need to let our tank sit Fallow for now.

• Like 2

That sucker is awesome looking! Too bad that LiveAquaria is "Out of Stock".

But Then again, I need to let our tank sit Fallow for now.

I bought a couple from LA, before I found other sources that were a little cheaper. They were always "Out of Stock", but every time I put my email in the waiting list, I got a notification within about a week.

• Like 1

Pictures first!

Is that duct tape securing the skimmer in place? We have a true engineer! :P

• Like 1

GBG = green banded goby :)

$25 is a bit high but most LFS's don't want to stock them since they're so small and aren't really all that great for big tanks. So you kind of have to pay whatever they want when they come in.

I got 5 for $20 plus $45 shipping from a guy on Ebay. I've also paid $12 each at the Lfs.

Haha clearly I'm spending too much time in your thread, teeny!

Is that duct tape securing the skimmer in place? We have a true engineer! :P

B) Gorilla tape. Doesn't leave glue on the glass!

• Like 1

Haha clearly I'm spending too much time in your thread, teeny!

:lol: Today's Monday, btw, did you get the ones at the LFS???

• Like 1

:lol: Today's Monday, btw, did you get the ones at the LFS???

Funny you asked! I was just uploading some pictures to Flickr :lol:

Went to LFS and got 3 GBGs and 2 Peppermint shrimp:

26787797250_dab57564b5_k.jpg

26456856044_be06628957_k.jpg

Settling in nicely!

26787799440_0dde884665_k.jpg

26994025151_aedfa243a8_k.jpg

:eek: I need to clean my glass...

Also, I was having an issue with snails (trochus, specifically) riding on top of my Hydor Flo and stopping it against the screen over my tank. So I made a shroud (pardon the language):

26911706571_cd0f031479_k.jpg

And it works!

26787798650_9802d00790_k.jpg

• Like 5