Innovative Marine Aquariums

An Engineer's first struggle with Life Sciences - BELATED UPDATE! Corals!

mooker

FTS 7/14/16

27696363784_b57ecddfda_k.jpgDSC_0031.jpg

Hello Nano-Reef!

This build log will chronicle my first attempt at a saltwater aquarium. I won't be walking this path alone; your very own HarryPotter (AKA Dirty Harry) has been a constant consult and generous benefactor in my foray into this new hobby. It's only fair, since he's the catalyst for me getting into this in the first place... :P

My long term goals for this tank are to keep it pretty minimal. Cleanup crew, a fish or two, and mostly Rics and some easy corals.

I'm hoping to use the rPI zero I have for some basic tank monitoring and automation, so I'll be recording progress on that as well in this thread.

First things first, the tank! Harry told me he was sending over an old 10g he picked up a while back, but when I opened the box:

25259936753_255c23f4ac_k.jpg

!!! a brand new IM 10g Fusion! (see: generous benefactor) AWESOME!!!

I had already picked up some imagitarium pacific ocean water from my local petco, and harry had given me a bag of live sand, so I got excited and threw it all in the tank last night.

As of this morning, this is where I stand. Looks like I have quite a ways to go...

25862749796_0e0698f3de_k.jpg

The more observant among you will note that I overfilled by (a little more than) a smidge. :unsure: aaand we're off to a good start.

• Like 3
reefernanoman

Hello Nano-Reef!

This build log will chronicle my first attempt at a saltwater aquarium. I won't be walking this path alone; your very own HarryPotter (AKA Dirty Harry) has been a constant consult and generous benefactor in my foray into this new hobby. It's only fair, since he's the catalyst for me getting into this in the first place... :P

My long term goals for this tank are to keep it pretty minimal. Cleanup crew, a fish or two, and mostly Rics and some easy corals.

I'm hoping to use the rPI zero I have for some basic tank monitoring and automation, so I'll be recording progress on that as well in this thread.

First things first, the tank! Harry told me he was sending over an old 10g he picked up a while back, but when I opened the box:

25259936753_255c23f4ac_k.jpg

!!! a brand new IM 10g Fusion! (see: generous benefactor) AWESOME!!!

I had already picked up some imagitarium pacific ocean water from my local petco, and harry had given me a bag of live sand, so I got excited and threw it all in the tank last night.

As of this morning, this is where I stand. Looks like I have quite a ways to go...

25862749796_0e0698f3de_k.jpg

The more observant among you will note that I overfilled by (a little more than) a smidge. :unsure: aaand we're off to a good start.

Welcome! Check out my thread on my Fusion 10G. I talk about everything in my videos, including maintenance, what has worked for me, etc. Good luck.

• Like 2
Cencalfishguy56

Welcome! Check out my thread on my Fusion 10G. I talk about everything in my videos, including maintenance, what has worked for me, etc. Good luck.

Your 28G is better IMO ;)
  • Like 1

You always got the good stuff man! Lol you're a good dude for that tank

The best dude!

Great threads, will definitely use as reference.

25773404112_81cbd4aee9_k.jpg

I was so excited that the light came today that I had to plug it in (don't even have food yet!).

• Like 3
Cencalfishguy56

The best dude!

I was so excited that the light came today that I had to plug it in (don't even have food yet!).

Love these little tanks, once I get the big one up I'll probably do a little one
  • Like 2
HarryPotter

The best dude!

Hey that light looks good! Nice coverage.

So, another package from Harry arrived today:

25889043996_8053c7e8a0_k.jpg

:lol: poor USPS! Totally worth it for the beautiful rock, though.

25286232473_ecb1c70aab_z.jpg

I also went to a (sketchy af) LFS and got a 1.5ish LB live rock and some flake food. I hope the rock doesn't have any nasty pests :wacko:

I threw the live rock right into the tank without taking a picture, i'll get a shot when it's less cloudy in there... Speaking of which, I put floss over the filtration sock and the tank is finally starting to clear up!

25289958933_42fd4ac5a0_k.jpg

As far as the rPI zero for tank monitoring goes, I've ordered a few different temperature probes to test and I'm doing research on other sensors... Looks like it's gonna be quite the investment to get accurate salinity and PH readings :(

• Like 2
Cencalfishguy56

So, another package from Harry arrived today:

25889043996_8053c7e8a0_k.jpg

:lol: poor USPS! Totally worth it for the beautiful rock, though.

25286232473_ecb1c70aab_z.jpg

I also went to a (sketchy af) LFS and got a 1.5ish LB live rock and some flake food. I hope the rock doesn't have any nasty pests :wacko:

I threw the live rock right into the tank without taking a picture, i'll get a shot when it's less cloudy in there... Speaking of which, I put floss over the filtration sock and the tank is finally starting to clear up!

25289958933_42fd4ac5a0_k.jpg

As far as the rPI zero for tank monitoring goes, I've ordered a few different temperature probes to test and I'm doing research on other sensors... Looks like it's gonna be quite the investment to get accurate salinity and PH readings :(

Jesus Christ Harry boy sent you some RC rock and a fusion ten, he's a saint for that!!!!
  • Like 1

Damn Harold what's your post office doing to your packages? Asides from shipping usps Harold is a great kid. Following along on this build. Interested in how you make the pi work for you

• Like 3

The best dude!

The sand pile in the back left!!! Lol

Great looking build and Harry what a generous guy!

Jesus Christ Harry boy sent you some RC rock and a fusion ten, he's a saint for that!!!!

Damn Harold what's your post office doing to your packages? Asides from shipping usps Harold is a great kid. Following along on this build. Interested in how you make the pi work for you

The sand pile in the back left!!! Lol

Great looking build and Harry what a generous guy!

Agreed 100%! I couldn't have found a better person to get me into this hobby.

In other news, the dust finally settled, so here's the first clear shot of the tank!

25921017745_586bb58700_k.jpg

The aquascaping needs, uh, a little work... <_<

After I took that shot I evened out the sand and my tank got really cloudy again. I'm worried that there's too much fine particulate -- is there something I can do to cut down on it, or should I just wait?

• Like 2

At this point waiting will be your best bet. Did you rinse the sand before you put it in? Ive heard if you don't it does what yours is doing. Mine definitely was never that cloudy when I started it.

At this point waiting will be your best bet. Did you rinse the sand before you put it in? Ive heard if you don't it does what yours is doing. Mine definitely was never that cloudy when I started it.

I didn't rinse the sand, I was worried that that would get rid of all the good microbes :(

• Like 1

I didn't rinse the sand, I was worried that that would get rid of all the good microbes :(

I think you'll be fine. Will just take a bit longer. Most of the bacteria comes from live rock. From what I've read sand will help, but really doesn't hold much. Either way no biggie!

CronicReefer

I think you'll be fine. Will just take a bit longer. Most of the bacteria comes from live rock. From what I've read sand will help, but really doesn't hold much. Either way no biggie!

Sand actually has the capacity to hold much more bacteria than your rocks, especially with a deep sand bed like that one. Most people just keep extremely shallow sand beds that do not have enough surface area.

• Like 4

Tank looks good,

I like the deep sand beds personally. but like Chronic said above they can hold a lot more bacteria than live rock.

This can work for you and against you. If you don't clean your sand often enough you could buildup a substantial bacterial colony, and then when the bed is disturbed it could cause issues.

I got a pistol shrimp that would constantly tend to the sand bed. You might consider one as well. Be forewarned though, they can make huge messes. ;)

BTW, What kind of light is that?

Tank looks good,

I like the deep sand beds personally. but like Chronic said above they can hold a lot more bacteria than live rock.

This can work for you and against you. If you don't clean your sand often enough you could buildup a substantial bacterial colony, and then when the bed is disturbed it could cause issues.

I got a pistol shrimp that would constantly tend to the sand bed. You might consider one as well. Be forewarned though, they can make huge messes. ;)

BTW, What kind of light is that?

Thanks! I'll look into getting pistol shrimp, I was thinking of doing a pistol shrimp/goby pair anyway.

I think the light is a JBJ Flipper (http://www.jbjlighting.com/lighting/flipper.php)

I added the beautiful rock Harry sent me to the tank:

25815795132_de8ae09da2_k.jpg

25911009136_93bd9f5913_k.jpg

Is there anything I should be doing aside from waiting for algae to grow? Should I be testing for anything?

• Like 1
HarryPotter

*sigh*

:closedeyes::closedeyes::closedeyes:

Still waiting on that algae to start growing... This hobby is going to teach me to be a much more patient person.

I hope.

More time for me to make some frags! :P

• Like 1

More time for me to make some frags! :P

I'm so jealous of your "reefing partner".

Seriously though it's awesome that you have Harry to lean on for expertise and assistance.

Thanks! I'll look into getting pistol shrimp, I was thinking of doing a pistol shrimp/goby pair anyway.

I think the light is a JBJ Flipper (http://www.jbjlighting.com/lighting/flipper.php)

I added the beautiful rock Harry sent me to the tank:

25815795132_de8ae09da2_k.jpg

25911009136_93bd9f5913_k.jpg

Is there anything I should be doing aside from waiting for algae to grow? Should I be testing for anything?

start dosing ammonia and bacteria. Look into dr. Tims. Just google fish less cycle.