inTank Media Baskets

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

20161205_172140_zpspsqbr380.jpg

Looks Buttermint Green but it's actually light yellow.

20161205_141024_zpsxqqgkrs8.jpg

Dark Red and Orange

20161205_171852_zpsszqdanhc.jpg

And time to carefully, after I buy gloves, frag some grandis paly for some locals. I have reading glasses I can use.

Once I moved it from the 20g to Nano Box it took off. The babies don't even have room to grow.

20161205_203638_zps1lcgvlx9.jpg

Those babies are awesome!

I wish I was closer, I want some of those palys!

• Like 3

So what's the difference between hatched brine shrimp eggs and decapsulated brine shrimp? All I know is she pays like $7 and it lasts a long time.

Sorry, passed out last evening after getting kids to bed.

Decapsulated brine shrimp eggs are just the "unhatched" cysts minus their hard outer shell - usually dissolved in a process using bleach & a neutralizer like Prime. You can buy them either hatch-ready (more expensive as it's harder to do) or non-viable (cheaper but still nutritionally intact). Very small particle size... I've found target feeding them to any baby rock flowers I can reach is almost a guarantee they'll make it past the quarter-of-a-lentil stage.

You can also get bulk brine shrimp eggs"shell-on" that you have to hatch or decapsulate yourself. Usually comes in something that looks like a coffee can and yes, lasts a long time. But I have so little time I cheat and buy the ones already decapsulated from DrG's. One bottle lasts over a month of near daily feedings & it's a lot less work to soak a couple pipette's worth in RODI and broadcast feed or blow a puff are each cluster of baby nems.

• Like 2

Those babies are awesome!

I wish I was closer, I want some of those palys!

What I love are the variances in each paly. Which I'm assuming could have happened when it was under a) Kessil in the 34g B) basic marineland strip in the 20g, and c) now the Nano Box.

Sorry, passed out last evening after getting kids to bed.

Decapsulated brine shrimp eggs are just the "unhatched" cysts minus their hard outer shell - usually dissolved in a process using bleach & a neutralizer like Prime. You can buy them either hatch-ready (more expensive as it's harder to do) or non-viable (cheaper but still nutritionally intact). Very small particle size... I've found target feeding them to any baby rock flowers I can reach is almost a guarantee they'll make it past the quarter-of-a-lentil stage.

You can also get bulk brine shrimp eggs"shell-on" that you have to hatch or decapsulate yourself. Usually comes in something that looks like a coffee can and yes, lasts a long time. But I have so little time I cheat and buy the ones already decapsulated from DrG's. One bottle lasts over a month of near daily feedings & it's a lot less work to soak a couple pipette's worth in RODI and broadcast feed or blow a puff are each cluster of baby nems.

I believe the 2nd one is what Randi is giving me. I think?

Yeah, I verified that with her.

Some more pics of nems. Just seems some get a little less tiny daily whereas some stay the same and some have gotten tinier.

It's exciting for me as tiny as they are there are some that are getting more detail daily. I used to see smooth tentacles become ribbed after about 2", but I'm wrong, they can be ribbed from birth.

20161206_181125_zpsz19bjw8k.jpg

20161206_181329_zpsmrv6r4ns.jpg

20161206_181525_zpsytghtj8p.jpg

20161206_181628_zps20qso7l9.jpg

Aren't these an adorable set?

20161206_190426_zpsylrz1qgv.jpg

I am noticing that reds and oranges seem to stronger/larger. I know some are not clear but I'm trying to make them bigger so I can see detail.

20161206_190431_zpsrtzmpq6y.jpg

20161206_190456_zpsq6u1b1nc.jpg

• Like 5

Wow your grandis palys are beautiful!!! So much more colorful than mine

It started small, 2 polyps w/ a head of a baby maybe. Got online on eBay from a company in Peoria Illinois that doesn't sell online anymore. It has grown immensely thought after moving to this tank.

20140923_190541_zpsawoqgrxu.jpg

• Like 3

So this stinks, came home from my mom's house and found Starry Blenny deceased, she got thin. I was feeding every other day in QT, feeding Rod's algae blend. And pellets the other days. Guess I don't have to worry if it'll nip at babies or Lil Bit's mantle. Cute guy, it sucks.

So all I will have now in the 40 this weekeend, 12 wks would have passed for QT, are the very beautiful long nose hawkfish and the 2 black clowns. The angel will go in the 10 to be with the coral banded. I can't take the risk w/ her. I have everything situated where I like it. I'm not tearing up the tank for her. So 3 fish. I'll think of another. Maybe some pretty wrasse.

I'm sorry about the starry blenny, Annette. He was cute and had a lot of personality :(

Thanks. Trying not to focus on it. He was the largest and prettiest blenny I ever had.

The other 2 are doing fine. Just odd. Sunday it will be 12 wks. Remember I said I was going to wait 12 this time due to last time waiting 8 wks and the frosty looming ich turned it's head again & killed off my royal gramma. Hopefully 12 wks did it without a host and it's gone. Saturday night I'll put in the long nose hawkfish, then Sun night the 2 black clowns and the angel will go in the 10g.

• Like 3

Yeah, it does and unfortunately most of his short life w/ me he spent in QT.

So now I'll have to find a fish that does not nip at my rose coral lps, or tiny rfa babies or the mantle of my maxima.

Just had feeding time for the big nems and there were some tiny bits I tried to feed the babies. Some grabbed but the piece is too big for it so it might just let go of it.

Time for more pics of RFAs. At this point I've counted just about 60. I love all my babies, I just had the brown coloring I'm getting on the substrate. No feeding today or probably tomorrow. Let skimmer keep skimming.

I'm trying to get ones I haven't pictured. Every day I look there's more detail. I'm so fascinated with them.

20161210_152029_zpswqlicwo5.jpg

20161210_151824_zps45vdlmrs.jpg

20161210_152055_zpsc7rxbbiw.jpg

20161210_152945_zpsg1gbdzp8.jpg

And my favorites.

20161210_152634_zpsnlqqktim.jpg

This is one of maybe only 3 that has different color tentacles. The other 2 are weaker. But when all the others in the tank are white then I'm excited. The one here w/ the dark purple is the biggest

20161210_151915_zpszyim4qsk.jpg

20161210_152334_zpszd8gfvmj.jpg

16 pages in :P work was crazy this year couldn't keep up with any threads. Be back later to finish :D your scape is just getting ready to come together!

It is, there are just a few more pieces I want to make it complete. Fiji leather, bubble coral and maybe a red goniopora. Otherwise I have to leave room in this tank for babies to grow!

• Like 7

They are so cute! Love the purple and green one!

Thanks. It's the most fancy and it has the thickest tentacles yet. The other tentacles are just thin/spindly mostly. I'll be watching that one carefully.

• Like 1

No I was saying on page 16 your scape is just coming together :lol: it's like I am reading a novel :P

Yeah, I just put the rocks down in rows at that point. I loved all the details in the rock.

That's amazing how many babies there are! You could start a RFA business.

Yes I could. I hope to sell them locally later at least. It's so early in the game though. Many will disappear though I'm trying to feed and skim during day so later they can do their thing at night.

• Like 1