Top Shelf Aquatics

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

TY. Do you think it will help remove the ich from the tank if I vacuum the sand once?

Unfortunately, no. The parasites that are encysted don't live explicitly on the substrate, they cling to every surface within the water column - rocks, sand, corals, invertebrate shells and carapaces. :(

Unfortunately, no. The parasites that are encysted don't live explicitly on the substrate, they cling to every surface within the water column - rocks, sand, corals, invertebrate shells and carapaces. :(

Oh well. What is it w/ my luck in wanting some baby nems!! And the tanks get messed up somehow. Patience Annette, patience.

I can't wait til my leathers are grown some like yours. My rose coral is starting to puff up again now that all these peckers are out- the angel and the starry. One good thing is the fish don't appear stressed in quarantine at all. No one had an itch but the starry when they went in. He's not scratching himself. They're utilizing the tubes more.

Gonna be a long wait........You know, I've been lucky though. This is the first time in 3 yrs of reefing that I ever had ich and I've...never, never (I know it's bad), have never quarantined before as prevention. Part of me was wondering would now be a good time to bring in another fish into the QT tank since I have to wait it out anyway for 12 wks?? Probably the answer would've been yes if it was a 20g and not 10. I wouldn't want anyone to be stressed though. I better leave it alone right now, right? I would like to get some kind of filefish.

Yeah angels and blennies can really irritate corals. I had to give my starry blenny away because he was nipping at my clam's mantle. At least soft corals are pretty hardy.

Glad to hear the fish are doing well in quarantine. I'm bad too and never QT fish. Its just so much work and I don't really have the space for it. Its always a risk though of course. I'd say don't put anymore fish in the 10 gallon QT since it doesn't have a biofilter like your reef tank. You're going to have to do pretty frequent water changes as it is.

• Like 1

Yeah angels and blennies can really irritate corals. I had to give my starry blenny away because he was nipping at my clam's mantle. At least soft corals are pretty hardy.

Glad to hear the fish are doing well in quarantine. I'm bad too and never QT fish. Its just so much work and I don't really have the space for it. Its always a risk though of course. I'd say don't put anymore fish in the 10 gallon QT since it doesn't have a biofilter like your reef tank. You're going to have to do pretty frequent water changes as it is.

Yep, right now I was doing every 2 days like 3 g change then putting back like 4 drops of cupramine.

Do the water changes like this, 2-3g in the display, take 2-3g out of the display and put it in the QT tank. Adds bacteria from the tank. There are 2 damn near indestructible cysts in the world, ich and fleas. I damn well think they both could withstand a tactical nuclear strike.

• Like 2

Do the water changes like this, 2-3g in the display, take 2-3g out of the display and put it in the QT tank. Adds bacteria from the tank. There are 2 damn near indestructible cysts in the world, ich and fleas. I damn well think they both could withstand a tactical nuclear strike.

This. Dinoflagellates have been here for hundreds of millions of years before us and will still be here hundreds of millions after we're gone :D

• Like 2

Damn good tip. That's an awesome idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that. It'll probably help it out. It's a good bit cloudy in the QT tank.

• Like 1

:( sorry about the ich and fish losses annette :( hope your luck turns the other way

I think it will. I've been lucky so far, first tank I've ever ha ich or any fish disease at all. But it is annoying that by the time I can put them back in, like 1/1 that means most of the livelihood of this tank has been without fish actually in it! It'll be 5 mos w/o fish so far by 1/1.

and then knowing that previously I had the cyano/dino when I tried the rfa tank before and then I electrocuted them. That's why I'll be jumping for joy once I have rfas having some babies.

Those drip sets just came in today, been waiting for them for 3 weeks, lol. If you have a small powerhead you can get an Aquaclear foam and make a bio filtre out of that. I use small 100-200 gph pumps to suck water through them.

I made a free standing filtre with a piece of PVC the pump and a foam block. I drilled holes in the PVC and pushed it on the intake of the filtre, then cut out the foam and insert it into the foam block.

The fish are doing really well in QT.

And I rearranged the rocks yesterday & today for more hiding places and more openness too if that makes sense.

20161002_215124_zpsfa6dj86z.jpg

20161002_215114_zpskimvsvq0.jpg

20161002_215104_zpsoz3zrmq7.jpg

20161002_215059_zpsslalstya.jpg

20161002_215053_zpsdsjnk4eg.jpg

20161002_215039_zpsz0hlttqo.jpg

20161002_215031_zpsuj4ywq3c.jpg

• Like 9

I might be switching out a rock with my green acid bubble tip anemone in the 10g tank with the mama & baby rose coral in this tank- the cherub angel and starry blenny are just doing what they do, nipping rock, nipping near the coral looking for food and they have bothered it and it's closing up.

• Like 2

Looking great, Annette! I'm glad the fish are doing well in QT, hopefully this will just be a bump in the road and things will go well with the fish in the future.

I see Big Green is still in her spot in the corner. You've really got her on the straight and narrow :lol:

• Like 3

Looking great, Annette! I'm glad the fish are doing well in QT, hopefully this will just be a bump in the road and things will go well with the fish in the future.

I see Big Green is still in her spot in the corner. You've really got her on the straight and narrow :lol:

It's so funny, she just loves it there! But you can see by the pics the others are growing!!!

I hope I'm out of the water, ich out of water, after 12 wks! Luckily they seem to have adapted to their smaller home.

• Like 2

Tank looks great as always. Your hawkfish is so cool-I think he sent your one fish to the back corner for chasing your coral beauty out of the tunnel.

I just hope that being in there for 12 wks won't drive them bonkers..

Hi Annette. Just wondering how you are doing after the Hurricane? Saw on the news last night the the Carolinas got hit pretty hard. Hope all is well.

Hope you're OK. My brother-in-law and his family live in Garner, near Raleigh, and had to evacuate when water from the creek behind their house started coming into their crawl space.

Hi Annette. Just wondering how you are doing after the Hurricane? Saw on the news last night the the Carolinas got hit pretty hard. Hope all is well.

Just some wind, that's all here but it's still surprising being in the complete Western part of the state and some locations have still lost power. And I'm sure the NC beach shore saw some action. Highways have been unloading as families return south to see what damage they had in SC or back to FL.

Hope you're OK. My brother-in-law and his family live in Garner, near Raleigh, and had to evacuate when water from the creek behind their house started coming into their crawl space.

Yes, not a problem in the western mountains at all. Thank You both for asking. But I did IM Karen, you got me curious, wanting to see if she had any issues in Raleigh.

• Like 2

And now for something completely different. Bubbles!!!! Hagen's not too impressed.

I'm doing a 4 g water change on the QT. Take it out of QT, dump it. Take from the 40g which is at zero nitrates but has bacteria and put it in the QT w/ the medication. I'm just gonna keep doing like I am. Hoping these 4 g changes every several days from the Ich water will also help remove it from the water slowly, somehow, if that's possible. I'm giving it the full Oct- end of December w/ no fish in there.

And now I'm gonna see if I can find my red sea star. I'm a little worried that I see the harlequin but not the red. Hopefully he's under a rock.

• Like 6