Pod Your Reef

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

FlowerMama

20160529_194048_zpscsp1mpcb.jpg

My previous FB pic and the one used to id me was 2 yrs old now. This is me today, embracing the grey from 5 wks ago now. People are telling me I'm rockin' 45 and the silver and somehow look younger, so I'm pleased. I feel better.

20160530_162910_zpswnnkmgje.jpg

• Like 6
FlowerMama

Going to Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg, TN for a day trip tomorrow. Only 1 hr 48 mins from here. I'll take pictures!!! It's far better than the one in Myrtle Beach, SC.

• Like 1

Going to Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg, TN for a day trip tomorrow. Only 1 hr 48 mins from here. I'll take pictures!!! It's far better than the one in Myrtle Beach, SC.

Sounds fun! And the new look is great! All the young kids are trying to dye their hair white or gray or blue, so you're definitely trendy B)

• Like 3
FlowerMama

Sounds fun! And the new look is great! All the young kids are trying to dye their hair white or gray or blue, so you're definitely trendy B)

I know! And I get to look trendy/hip for free!!!

• Like 2
FlowerMama

Had a really nice time at Ripley's Aquarium today. I took like 15 videos and pics. They had a nice big aquarium for live corals. They had a mint pavona that was like 2 ft oblong. Gorgeous! Here some pics of the day and then some videos.

I could watch these cuddle fish for hours. Why do they need such a big tank?. They just sit there hovering. I want one!!!

20160531_104051_zpsfncirdez.jpg

20160531_104040_zpszpm5lumk.jpg

• Like 6
FlowerMama

People were just walking past the display of frogfish. The main one was bigger than my hand and in the center of the tank against the wall but then there were 3 on the side that people didn't notice. I'm like, take a look here, people I don't even know, don't pass this up!

These were vertical in the display. One later was waving his little tuft around but he put it away before I could video tape.

20160531_103425_zpsji6q1pdd.jpg

I forgot just how gigantic these were. Each leg as long as your arm up to your shoulder. OMG pass the butter please!!!
20160531_103548_zpsnq72n4j3.jpg
20160531_102737_zpsn6oo7jjz.jpg

20160531_101938_zpse89xjygz.jpg

20160531_101923_zpskngfqv7m.jpg

20160531_101914_zpsbbxogqnl.jpg

20160531_101055_zpswzggjupx.jpg

The large mint pavona.

And some jellies. They also had a section with lots of jellies that you could pet but I didn't.

20160531_102251_zpswycrciyk.jpg

And another part of the aquarium. And fake corals.

20160531_095438_zpsxwxsbmtz.jpg

20160531_095315_zps14mpvnmu.jpg

20160531_093847_zpswnz5gn93.jpg

• Like 9
FlowerMama

Nah, I went back to many exhibits 2-3x still before I left since I ran out of batteries on my cell phone. I got it!

• Like 1
FlowerMama

One more video I forgot about and one pic of the China coldwater tank

20160531_103311_zps8feff45p.jpg

I'm home now and I stopped at my friend's house. Picked up my royal gramma and a green crab and they gave me 5 free hermits. My pygmy came in but they're holding it for a few days to make sure it is eating. Pics as soon as i stops hiding. I also sterilized some small shells from the beach and put them in for the jaw fish.

20160602_183536_zpsrpadqnyv.jpg

And pics from Folly Beach, SC

20160601_141439_zpsvj50urns.jpg

20160601_115436_zpsufx57nxa.jpg

20160601_113226_zpsumzsyscv.jpg

20160601_112436_zps2ejigkgn.jpg

20160601_111908_zpsylqsbwqd.jpg

• Like 7

Great photos from the aquarium! Looks like that was a really fun day trip :)

Your tank is looking amazing. Its really coming along so quickly! I've been busy, so I've only been on NR sporadically, but everytime I pop in I can't believe how different your tank looks.

Oh, and I love the new haircut and rocking the silver hair :)

• Like 1
FlowerMama

Great photos from the aquarium! Looks like that was a really fun day trip :)

Your tank is looking amazing. Its really coming along so quickly! I've been busy, so I've only been on NR sporadically, but everytime I pop in I can't believe how different your tank looks.

Oh, and I love the new haircut and rocking the silver hair :)

Thanks, my friend Randi came by yesterday, she hadn't seen the tank since the rock was cycling. She saw the landscape & all & she loves how ocean like it appears. I can't wait til my leathers are as big as yours.

Yeah, you always wonder when you go for a drastic move with hair if it was a good decision or not. I think it definitely was

Oh, here's a video of the royal gramma I picked up Saturday. It's the most he's been out. That's further out than the RG I had in Gertie's tank. He looks so pretty in there. Also got an emerald crab and they gave me 5 or so free hermits for supporting them.

20160602_183419_zpsbjij6fuh.jpg

• Like 6
FlowerMama

note to self: wear shoes / sandals when visiting beaches in SC =P

great videos and pictures from your trip!

Thanks Ninja- 2 short trips but fun, except for the sun burn. I wish I could have captured more colors of the reef tank they had. And I'm in love with the cuttlefish. So much washes up with the tide, I wonder what it was like a couple days earlier for shells, once that tropical depression went by.

• Like 1

Looks good! I love the new royal gramma.

That pic of the emerald crab in front of the RFA is great, he has a lot of personality :)

• Like 1
FlowerMama

Looks good! I love the new royal gramma.

That pic of the emerald crab in front of the RFA is great, he has a lot of personality :)

Thanks, looks like he was guarding them. The royal gramma hasn't ventured anywhere but that spot in front so he doesn't know the jawfish exist yet.

And my pygmy angel is in, came in Fri- he just wants to make sure it eats and is doing ok for several days before he sells him to me. Tiny guy, just over an inch. He got 2 so I get my pick.

Also, I just moved my duncans over to this tank from Gertie's tank. It hasn't been doing well there. I think more nutrients in this tank will help it. It used to be as large as a huge padded softball, now they barely extend past the skeleton. I hadn't planned on putting it here but I have no where else I can put it.

Also, I got 3 rock flowers in Friday, will try taking some pics. One is small, like a nickel and has yellow & orange. The other 2 are larger. One is lavender & pink, the other is 2 shades of green. No pics yet, I just basted the tank after cleaning the skimmer so it's cloudy right now.

• Like 3
FlowerMama

Hoping for better pics tomorrow but here's the nem that has pink on the outside then lavender in the middle. Not seen here but it has a yellow mouth. It's the only nem with a white outside among all 17 nems in there.

20160604_192455_zpsjytrod2e.jpg

And the two toned green.

20160604_192508_zpsgnv8xwey.jpg

This one is tiny, like nickel. Green outside, then yellow then orange.

20160604_194926_zpsx1q9iluj.jpg

20160604_194904_zpsxqxhqzpd.jpg

• Like 4
FlowerMama

Did a 12 g water change on the 40. I was overdue. In the process found 3 aptasia. I put some Aptasia Rx and then super glued the 2 holes- one was a previous one that came back. The largest was on the left side on the other side of the rose coral in an opening of whatever bivalve it is. Unfortunately when I picked up the rock, my crab went into deeper into the crevice, the aptasia shrunk down. I couldn't put it in there while the emerald was in there.

I redid the scape in back for another hiding spot. When the jaw fish were engineering they made it fall in. I'm sure I'll always have to be fixing the back somehow. I'll have to get that aptasia next time. The stalk was 1/8 of an inch, so had a substantial stem.

The royal gramma found a spot to hide in back. and probably Tues or Wed I'll be getting the pygmy angel in here. So 3 of the fish I have already hide, then I'll have the pygmy and then lastly waiting on the starry blenny. I'll get a full tank shot tomorrow hopefully once the dust settles from the water change. 6 fish would be too many, right?

• Like 1

Those star fish are soooo cool looking. Looks like a family in that photo :).

Does Randi have a reef tank anymore? On FB it sounded like she is tankless for now, but still active on the nano-reef fb forum. I keep forgetting to ask her.

• Like 1
FlowerMama

Those star fish are soooo cool looking. Looks like a family in that photo :).

Does Randi have a reef tank anymore? On FB it sounded like she is tankless for now, but still active on the nano-reef fb forum. I keep forgetting to ask her.

She has 2 small tanks, like 10g but she just found out yesterday that I'm giving her my 34g that had Maiden's Voyage. I know she had the baby and all but she's really missing her big tank that she had to sell off. It's killing me cuz I now what she's capable of and I'm paying it forward in the hobby. She was thrilled. Her clam is still doing well, still has her clowns and another little fish.

I've only seen the dead sea stars that wash up that are grey, so seeing those was so wonderful. I think it's because only couple days before they had more weather due to the depression.

Ok, promised some pics after the water cleared. Remember I had to fix the center rocks differently but I tried to keep it generally the same. And the royal gramma has been all around the tank now.

20160606_225228_zpshzubgok8.jpg

20160606_225242_zpsev7x5yza.jpg

And see what I mean about the duncan, he needs help. And the darn toadstool. I put him where he gets flow hitting off the wall so it's not like it's not getting flow. The leather 2 inches higher and to the side is bent over. It's shrinking. Tempted to put it back into Gertie's tank where it had awesome polyp extension.

20160606_225657_zpsnicxshwz.jpg

• Like 5