Cultivated Reef

Cold water macros/plants

CD_Scapes

I'm going to Oregon to get tidepool stuff and was wondering if there are any cold water macroalgea a or seaweeds that could be grow and how to care for them.

I had a bunch grow out of the rocks without trying. No real special care, just proper lighting and nutrients. I can't keep them unless my urchin is in the back though, he nom nom them.

I'm going to Oregon to get tidepool stuff and was wondering if there are any cold water macroalgea a or seaweeds that could be grow and how to care for them.

Intertidal species are pretty easy, just don't bring home a piece of a giant kelp and they'll do fine.
Reds are easy, some browns need higher light.

Oh, and seagrasses are more difficult, I'd avoid those unless you know what you're doing and how to care for them

AquaticEngineer

Yoshii said it all :)

I'm going to try some of the surf grass (Phyllospadix scouleri) in my tank. But I've had red and green macros grow well at different times.

So will ulva grow in a 2.5 with a 10 watt 50/50 coral life light. A few rocks, sand, a gunnel, 5-7 aggregates, shrimps, misc. crabs? Can snails or a chiton live with ulva?

The Aquarist

So will ulva grow in a 2.5 with a 10 watt 50/50 coral life light. A few rocks, sand, a gunnel, 5-7 aggregates, shrimps, misc. crabs? Can snails or a chiton live with ulva?

Snails, especially the California turban snails will eat ulva.

I never had much luck with macros. They all died off except for this red kind, which is growing fairly well.

AquaticEngineer

I like the ulva in small invert tanks like with shrimp and micro hermits etc. I have it growing in stagnant water bottles in my garage with tigriopus, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Oregon. Just make sure no one sees you. Fish and Wildlife can be pretty harsh on penalties. Which beaches you going to? Check the tide levels so you can get some good tidepools!

AquaticEngineer

I live in Oregon. Just make sure no one sees you. Fish and Wildlife can be pretty harsh on penalties. Which beaches you going to? Check the tide levels so you can get some good tidepools!

No need to hide it :) Its perfectly legal to harvest and collect a plethora of fish, plants, and invertebrates for personal use under an Oregon sport fishing/shellfish license.

Just abide to the bag limits, size restrictions, and area closures and you are ok.

One thing I like to do is carry a copy of the fishing regulations with the appropriate information highlighted just in case people question what you are doing.

Archived