Coral Vue Hydros

RODI vs Distilled Water?

Teebo

I only maintain a 5 gallon pico reef, so I do not need much water....yet buying it from the LFS is a total pain. Can I use distilled water? They sell it by the gallon at my local grocery store for about $0.80 a gallon.

Another idea was what about those "Zero Water" pitchers that claim to have almost a 0 TDS reading? You know the new-age Brita filter haha I see the commercials on TV all the time, sort of seems like a Zero Pitcher would be easier and more affordable than a small RODI system.

Keep in mind I do weekly water changes on a pico so a lot of water is changed weekly.

TDS is all that matters right?

no, TDS is what tells us the purity of water, if you dont know, TDS stands for total dissolved solids. basically salt, minerals and anything else dissoluble by water. all those zero filters and britas are just carbon and sometimes carbon and sediment filters. its best to just get an RO/DI, you can control how pure your water is and be 100% sure its safe. distilatilled water is really only recommended for emergancies. TDS cannot account for ions or chemicals, distilled can carry up to 10 mg/liter, so its technically not pure enough for what we do, i used the RO buddie for a long time, but i still should have bought a proper RO/DI unit right away.

the big issue with those smaller pitchers is they can only make 30 gallons of water being the TDS is at 6, thats on the site of the zero pitcher, its only certified at 0 TDS for 15 gallons.

AZDesertRat

Distilled water is fine and cost effective for a pico reef. The quality is essentially identical to RO/DI, it was treated by a different method is all.

I do recommend buying a good handheld temperature compensated TDS though whether you are making your own or purchasing water. A good meter is around $25.

• Like 1

Now I understand a bit more, however I am getting a lot of replies elsewhere saying distilled water for a pico has been working fine for them. Regarding the limited amount of gallons the pitchers can produce, see this video:

$25 for a TDS pen you say? Good thing you said that, I have been looking at pH meter pens on eBay for $15 that come with a free TDS meter pen. Sounds like it wouldn't work out too well

AZDesertRat

There are a lot of imported clone TDS meters on eBay and Amazon and the quality is questionable at best. Stick with something like the HM Digital tds-3, tds-4tm or ap-1. All are high quality, ATC compensated and have a built in digital thermometer so serve dual purpose for around $25.

Distilled water is the same purity as RO/DI in most cases, don't let anyone tell you any different. Today's modern stills are glass or epoxy lined exotic metal like titanium and the water is pretreated before the still so very different from 50 years ago.

A good reef quality RO/DI will cost you $125-$175 so would take awhile to pay for itself with only a Pico unless you drink a lot of bottled water where the RO could replace all the bottles and jugs. It's easy to either add a tee and ball valve between the RO and the DI to fill drinking water pitchers, bottles or jugs or a add the on drinking kit is only $60. We hardly ever buy bottled water anymore, the RO is hooked to the fridge drinking water and ice maker.

• Like 2

My brother is a licensed plumber so eventually I may install a unit, maybe it will be step one in upgrading from a pico down the line ;)

I agree with the distilled, I will just check it before use.

• 2 weeks later...
Retro Reefer

I have used distilled water off and on in my reefs since the 80's.. In my current nano's I'm using it exclusively, I get it from Wally World purple top .88 a gallon.. mixing and dispensing is super easy with the gallon jugs and as long as your using under 5 gallons a month for tank maintenance it cheaper than purchasing and maintaining a quality RO/DI system.. * I do spot check batches for TDS

• Like 1

I was at the lfs today... This dude bought 40 gallons of saltwater and 40 gallons of ro/di.. And paid for it on a credit card... His water bill was 67 bucks...

The dude at the shop had to haul all that shit out to his car. Everytime i go to a shop with saltwater fish someone is paying for water of unkown quality..

I put my own ro/di together for less than 100 bucks and put a sink faucet on it as well for 25 so i always have pure drinking water... Best investment ever...

Cencalfishguy56

I was at the lfs today... This dude bought 40 gallons of saltwater and 40 gallons of ro/di.. And paid for it on a credit card... His water bill was 67 bucks...

The dude at the shop had to haul all that shit out to his car. Everytime i go to a shop with saltwater fish someone is paying for water of unkown quality..

I put my own ro/di together for less than 100 bucks and put a sink faucet on it as well for 25 so i always have pure drinking water... Best investment ever...

unless you're good friends with your LFS like me ;)
  • Like 1
  • 4 years later...
On 3/24/2016 at 7:50 PM, Teebo said:

Walmart does not sell RO water here just distilled. I buy a few gallons every time I go.

Actually they do it's called Primo water but it's trash tested the TDS.....came back 56!