Biocube 29G - Hood removed
Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer
Eco tech MP-10 x 2
Eheim 125w Heater
Ecotech XR15W Pro
AutoAqua Smar ATO
MJ-1200
Reeflink

BRS Reactor (Carbon with a sprinkle of GFO)

Fish:
1 Percula Clown
1 Picasso Clown
1 Diamond Watchman Goby
1 Six Line Wrasse

1 Dragon Blenny

Inverts:

1 Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemone

Corals:
Green Star Polyp
Xenia
Frogspawn
Green Duncan
Ricordia Florida

Valida Tri-color Acropora x 2 (Helping rescue one from a buddies tank)

Meteor Shower Cyphastrea

Zoa/Palys (Gobstopper, Utter Chaos, Unknown [Purple with Green Center], Fruit Loops, Rastas, Sunny D's)

SL White Walker Granulosa

CB Maleficent

Walt Disney Tenuis

TSA Princess Peach

AA Rainbow Mango

AA Chameleon Staghorn

Corals In Other Tank:

TSA Flaming Shortcake (Different tank)

4 Mille's of unknown origin ( 3 of the 4 are in a different tank)

Working on slowly getting my 40G Breeder set up. It'll take a few months as I want to make sure I get it set up properly.

Last Updated: 5/26/16

Changed the aquascape a bit. I added some additional cured live rock from my LFS and removed a piece. That piece will end up becoming rubble for the 2nd chamber. I removed the top and swapped it out for an glass top with an AI Prime for lighting. I added a Jebao WP-10 as well. The flow is good but I'm still tweaking the settings to get the waves properly set in the tank.

So far I absolutely am liking the look of it. My corals seem very happy and weirdly the fish do as well. There is some algae build up but there was a slight nitrite spike. I want to make sure that balances back down to 0 before adding some more livestock. I'm thinking of a diamond goby to deal with the sand.

IMG_9476.jpg

msparklym13

HI! I am not sure if you are new to this or just new to Biocube. I am new to both and have had the same tank for a few months. Only tips I can give you is to move your rocks close to make small tunnels- (my experienced friend showed me the benefit!) I have not swapped out the hood and am having great luck with my fish and corals. My frogspawn is splitting!! Yay!! I have a diamond Goby and he is amazing. He does such a great job with my sand. I pull my corals off the base because I don't like how it looks and place them in the holes of the live rock. So far so good. Great work!!! Best, Marianne

Looks like you're off to a pretty good start. I love the AI lights!

So, some feed back. I personally would have waited just a bit before adding live stock. I also don't agree with adding Prime, but that is just my opinion. Even using live rock, and live sand, I would still wait to make sure nutrients are under control before adding anything. But what's done is done. The fun thing about getting that beneficial bacteria growing and doing it's job is, it also needs to be fed. There are multiple ways of doing so. What I would personally do is dose bacteria such as Dr Tim's One and Only. Dose that according to the label, don't dose Prime, and stay on top of weekly water changes (for my BioCube 29, I do 5G weekly water changes). The most important thing in setting up a new tank is getting that beneficial bacteria growing and doing its thing, and by doing the above you will make sure that you are off to a good start in that area.

Of course, the above is just my personal opinion. You're off to a good start and I can't wait to see more updates. I love watching BC build threads.

you will need to add a clean up crew, mostly snails, and if you like them some crabs. You also need a plan for topping off with ro/di on a regular basis-check your salinity levels daily until you get a feel for what you are loosing to evaporation. I also do 5 gallon weekly water changes, unless I notice a problem, then I might due a gallon or so every day until things are back on track

HI! I am not sure if you are new to this or just new to Biocube. I am new to both and have had the same tank for a few months. Only tips I can give you is to move your rocks close to make small tunnels- (my experienced friend showed me the benefit!) I have not swapped out the hood and am having great luck with my fish and corals. My frogspawn is splitting!! Yay!! I have a diamond Goby and he is amazing. He does such a great job with my sand. I pull my corals off the base because I don't like how it looks and place them in the holes of the live rock. So far so good. Great work!!! Best, Marianne

Thanks! I've been struggling with my aquascape. I have one major tunnel in the front and routes in the sides as well. Because I had issues with my cycle I want to wait a bit longer before I decide to add/remove some of the rock I had. I'm not a fan at all of the rock I initially purchased. I'd like to swap it out eventually (hopefully in the next month or two) as things balance out.

Looks like you're off to a pretty good start. I love the AI lights!

So, some feed back. I personally would have waited just a bit before adding live stock. I also don't agree with adding Prime, but that is just my opinion. Even using live rock, and live sand, I would still wait to make sure nutrients are under control before adding anything. But what's done is done. The fun thing about getting that beneficial bacteria growing and doing it's job is, it also needs to be fed. There are multiple ways of doing so. What I would personally do is dose bacteria such as Dr Tim's One and Only. Dose that according to the label, don't dose Prime, and stay on top of weekly water changes (for my BioCube 29, I do 5G weekly water changes). The most important thing in setting up a new tank is getting that beneficial bacteria growing and doing its thing, and by doing the above you will make sure that you are off to a good start in that area.

Of course, the above is just my personal opinion. You're off to a good start and I can't wait to see more updates. I love watching BC build threads.

Thanks! I agree that I shouldn't of added some live stock. I've been very stressed lately trying to make sure everything cycles out. I've been doing water chances 3 times a week. I do 2 10% changes during the week along with a larger change on Sunday (4g). My ammonia levels have stabilized and the Nitrites are down to .5 ppm as of this morning. I did stop dosing prime. The only thing I've been adding to the water is Aquavitro Seed and that's just so I can get rid of it.

you will need to add a clean up crew, mostly snails, and if you like them some crabs. You also need a plan for topping off with ro/di on a regular basis-check your salinity levels daily until you get a feel for what you are loosing to evaporation. I also do 5 gallon weekly water changes, unless I notice a problem, then I might due a gallon or so every day until things are back on track

I have 2 snails and 2 crabs in there now. It might not be enough but I really don't want to add anything additional for anther week or two. My salinity levels have been fluctuating a lot because I removed the top. This I knew would be an issue but I didn't realize how much evaporation was happening that IS happening now. I ordered the AutoAqua Smart ATO micro system which will arrive in a couple of days. Until then I set up a market on my 3rd chamber to note the water level and have/will continue to test the salinity before and after work and adding RO water as needed.

I don't have an RO unit but it's easy enough to get some from the LFS since it's only .50 a gallon.

Beside ordering the Smart ATO I've ordered the InTank Media Basket as well. That will arrive today so I'm hoping to swap a few pieces there in the back and letting everything balance out which will be perfect for when I get my ATO.

msparklym13

Great work!

I will be honest- the acronyms are such a learning curve for me I just read and try to decipher like a foreign language. I just committed to my aquascape mainly because I have 6 corals and don't want to keep moving them. Hoping my tank family stays happy and thrilled your tank is moving in a great direction :-)

Great work!

I will be honest- the acronyms are such a learning curve for me I just read and try to decipher like a foreign language. I just committed to my aquascape mainly because I have 6 corals and don't want to keep moving them. Hoping my tank family stays happy and thrilled your tank is moving in a great direction :-)

Thanks! Every time I see an acronym I open up a new tab to see what it means. It does feel like a foreign language to me sometimes. Sort of like people that order those crazy Starbucks drinks.

You'll have to post a picture if our aquascape! I need some inspiration. That's certainly one of the biggest areas where I struggle. I'm a software developer by trade so my creativity when it comes to the beauty and art of aquascaping alludes me.

Cheers to your tank staying happy and thriving!

March 24th update. My clownfish look happy. I've done some aquascaping again picked up what will be my last piece of LR. This piece looked great which is why I ended up getting it. Had a mushroom attached along with some critters. A good amount of bristle worms which isn't terrible but I want to pick up either a coral banded shrimp or a six line wrasse to keep control of them.

My hammerhead (at least I believe it's a hammer head) is splitting. The mouth has stretched out pretty wide and you can see the base starting to form a figure 8. It's the last picture down below. To me that's great news since I've been worried. Meticulously checking my parameters twice a day. I still have a little bit of Aquavitro Seed which I'm just going to finish. I picked up some prime a week ago but I'll just keep it aside in case I ever end up needing it.

Parameters:

PH: 7.8-8

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0-5.0

Alk: 9

Calcium: 450

Here are some pictures of my aquascaping and a few pieces of coral I picked up.

IMG_9521.jpgIMG_9518.jpgIMG_9522.jpgIMG_9523.jpgIMG_9524.jpgIMG_9527.jpgIMG_9528.jpg

Diatoms are finally going down. It could be my snails but who knows! It also looks like there's some purple coralline forming on some of my rocks. Really excited about that. Moved some corals around and picked up a couple more. I think I'm done stocking up but I am hoping to add another coral or two if it they catch my eye and are compatible with my others. Picked up a meteor shower cyph and a duncan. The duncan and its mini head in the back tend to enjoy picking up mysis shrimp that float around cause of my powerhead. Here's a couple additional updated pics...

IMG_9578.jpg

IMG_9579.jpgIMG_9580.jpg

Finally found a stand I liked that was a reasonable price. Did 20% WC just so it wouldn't be that hard to move. Luckily the new location was about 4 feet away. I was content with my AI Prime but I really was wanting an XR15W so I decided to just bite the bullet and get the XR15W. I did have problems with Ecosmart Live not grabbing the right time but it randomly fixed itself overnight after much frustration on my end.

I did something terrible and got a large Tri Color Acro but I'm not entirely sure that I have enough flow. I have a Jebao WP10 and for a return pump an MJ1200. I was thinking of picking up the RW-4 and placing it opposite the WP10. There's a corner in the back that doesn't seem to get any flow at all so I think that'll hopefully fix it.

One of my buddies upgraded his skimmer so he gave me his old Aquamaxx HOB-1. After a nice vinegar bath it's up and running. Probably need to order a new "silencer" tube since it's a bit loose and causing more noise then I think it should. While a new tube comes in I picked up a clear one from Lowe's. It's not the cool yellow but it'll work for now.

I picked up a new piece of dry rock since I have a lot of Zoa frags. I decided to do a Zoa rock. Hopefully the assortment of colors will come out good.

For livestock I'm finally where I'm very happy. With the addition of the Acro, Birdsnest, the new Zoa (Super Saiyan), and a Picasso Clown everything is looking great.

Looking to buy a real camera so I can take better pictures then these ugly iPhone pics.

IMG_9599.jpg

IMG_9605.jpgIMG_9602.jpgIMG_9603.jpg

Forgot to show my Super Saiyan Zoanthid. I really can't wait to get a new camera. Anyone have any recommendations?

IMG_9604.jpg

Read your question about mixed reefs on that thread you posted. I have a mixed reef and a gyre so the flow is pretty strong, the light I have is also very strong. While my tank looks like it is SPS dominant, it's because my colonies are growing in mass faster than the other species of corals. I have LPS and Zoas as well as some leathers.

In looking at your corals selection, I don't see why you couldn't have an SPS dominant mixed reef. The corals that might object to higher flow would be the euphyillias but if you found a spot for them which has less flow, close to the rocks perhaps, then there shouldn't be an issue there as well. My duncans are always waving about in the flow, the zoas are thriving. Rock flower nems are also happy.

Read your question about mixed reefs on that thread you posted. I have a mixed reef and a gyre so the flow is pretty strong, the light I have is also very strong. While my tank looks like it is SPS dominant, it's because my colonies are growing in mass faster than the other species of corals. I have LPS and Zoas as well as some leathers.

In looking at your corals selection, I don't see why you couldn't have an SPS dominant mixed reef. The corals that might object to higher flow would be the euphyillias but if you found a spot for them which has less flow, close to the rocks perhaps, then there shouldn't be an issue there as well. My duncans are always waving about in the flow, the zoas are thriving. Rock flower nems are also happy.

Thank you for your response. The more I read it the more and more it began to click in my head that you're right. The only thing I'm worried about though is the size of the tank. Especially if everything begins to grow rapidly. I might have too much for the size.

I think you're right and will give it my best shot and see where I'm at in a month or two. I'm considering swapping out a couple of frags with a friend so the issue with the euphyillias might be moot if I trade them out or move them to a lower part of the tank behind a rock like you suggested. This hobby is all about trial and error and while I don't want to kill any corals it's inevitable to happen regardless of what I do.

My last 2 additions. These will be my pride and joys I think. First picture is Sealife White Walker Granulosa. Second one is Pac-Man Echinata. They're currently in their temporary spots. I had just finished feeding the corals so the tendrils are out. The pictures don't do them any justice but my camera doesn't arrive till this weekend. I have their mother colony pictures below mine. Picked them up from Sea Life Leds.

Also ordered an MP-10. Can't wait for that to show up.

IMG_9641.jpg

whitewalkermother.jpg

IMG_9640.jpg

pacman.jpg

Giving away 3 of my frags to a local person who has another biocube like me. I decided my stock was getting too high especially since I'll be receiving 2 more acros tomorrow. Giving him my Blasto, Birdsnest and War coral.

I won at auction a CB Maleficent and bundled it with the famous Walt Disney Tenuis. Also, picked up a SL Icepick which won't be ready for another 2 weeks since its a fresh cut.

I'm in the process of changing my pieces out to make room for the new acros. I'll throw pictures up tomorrow of how they look in my tank. All I have currently is the WYSIWYG pictures from Alex.

I picked up a BRS single reactor. Thinking of just running carbon only in it to clear up my water. It seems to have a yellowish tint to it and based on the BRS videos the reactor with carbon should help. When I do run it I'll probably do 1/3 of the recommended dosage which isn't much to begin with.

My corals arrived 2 days ago a lot later than they should have. Fedex put me in the worst mood. Package was suppose to be here before 10:30 and I didn't receive it till 4:30. Everyone else is looking good. I'm getting great PE from all my little guys. Waiting for some pieces to acclimate fully to my light before placing them in their final destinations.

The SL Icepick is currently healing and should be good for pick up by next week. The vendor sent me a picture of it so I thought I would share it. Can't wait to add it to my tank!

12986467_1715944721979991_397084084_o.jp

Still figuring out this camera but here is my FTS. There's quite a bit of fuzz due to the microbubbles still lingering. My return pump had a loose tube so after I tightened it up the bubbles disappeared.

Still having back and forth for placement of some pieces which is why they have been glued with the bottom of the plugs still in place. My ricordea is a bit unhappy today. Usually she's open quite a bit.

DSC00729.jpg

Minor changes. I sold (basically gave away) 4 pieces of coral to a local hobbyist. He had a similar tank set up as me. I was getting some new pieces so I didn't want to overcrowd my system some more. So with that my war coral, birdsnest, blastomussa, and the alien pox. Those were replaced with 2 frags of Fruit loops, Rastas, Garf Bonsai, TSA Princess Peach, RR Orange Passion, and TSA Flaming Shortcake.

Also, replaced my Jebao with another MP10. So far all the corals love the randomized flow patterns. Currently have it set at 45%. Not sure if that's sufficient yet but I'm giving it a couple weeks and increase it from there if it needs it.

TSA Princess Peach

B316A1BC-659D-4ECE-B45B-17965FAC4042.jpg

RR Orange Passion (In front of the Birdsnest I moved of my tank)

CCC87D66-DC8E-4A0E-950E-EC2D8E6EBFD3.jpg

TSA Flaming ShortcakeAA59A136-DB9C-4F38-976E-D53ADEFD18B1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sunday maintenance top down shot. Acros that browned out due to shipment are starting to color back up nicely.

DSC00861.jpg

Just noticed some light purple coralline growing on a few pieces of rock. It's great because it feels like my tank is starting to become established. But bad because I went from monitoring alk/calc to once a week and now i have to do it more frequently. Things are starting to look real good.

The growth on some of my SPS pieces has been pretty intense. My TSA Princess peach and CB Maleficent have encrusted the plug fully. It's pretty crazy seeing the growth day to day on these guys.

My WD is growing upwards and has colored up a lot since it's browning. My tri color is lighting up a lot as well. The garf bonsai hasn't been showing as much PE the past couple of days but he loves water changes so I expect to see some today once I do it.

Zoas are growing at a decent rate. Definitely not exploding but it's only been about 2 weeks into my aquaforest program. I expect once things settle out I'll get some explosion of growth and color.

Can't wait to slowly build out my mini upgrade.

Archived