Cultivated Reef

Astinus' Build *A work in Progress*

Astinus

Doesn't matter much with FW. there aren't as many species of bacteria and micro fauna in FW as there are in SW. Microbacter sp., nitrossomma sp., a few amphipods and copepods and flukes are about it. There are others, but I don't remember most, and I ain't gonna type all night. Bottom line, FW can't contend with waste as efficiently as SW.

• Like 1

Catching up with this thread... Been a crazy weekend. Colors are on point in the recent FTS pics. You mentioned Aiptasia X. In a sick sad way, I love watching how Aiptasia X works. More importantly, so, so sorry about the fox -- he was really cool. How can you be so sure your clown had something to do with his death?

• Like 1

I've had a 37 gallon freshwater water tank for over 10 years now....and I've always had success with 25% water changes every sunday....and I wash out my media/filter every 3 weeks (with tap water) and change my media about every month and a half.....I'm using the AC50 and the AC 30 and also a powerhead240 and the eheim protein skimmer.....gravel bottom....fully planted and 100% all natural....never any big problems to contend with....saltwater tanks are way harder IMO...

20160117_182514_zps0yqavka8.jpg

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey folks. Here is an Almost October FTS Pics and other Pics.

Got a Zoanthid and a Purple tip Octospawn from SaltCritters today. :wub:

So, here we go ;)

New Zoas

IKLfrl.jpg

hvPjWx.jpg

ab0LTD.jpg

Here is 1 fair pic of the Octospawn.

6N22rg.jpg

And now the FTS and other pics :)

6epJ22.jpg

mMMIiG.jpg

MCMzv2.jpg

1kxWFB.jpg

ldMPOk.jpg

c6FkqG.jpg

Thank you all :):oB)

• Like 4

Looks great! How are the damsels and dottyback making out?

TYVM Stella :)

Damsels and Dottyback are, well, being Damsels. They interact quite well. There is some "Aggression"

But not overly so. Shar loves the Movement and watches the fish frequently.

They really don't chase each-other to much.

We are really enjoying the Tank :)

• Like 1

TYVM Stella :)

Damsels and Dottyback are, well, being Damsels. They interact quite well. There is some "Aggression"

But not overly so. Shar loves the Movement and watches the fish frequently.

They really don't chase each-other to much.

We are really enjoying the Tank :)

That's good news!

• Like 1

Try some Siporax in the freshwater tank bro. I have a little bit in Eyegore's tank and it's already starting to do its thing. I think we're going to set up a livebearer tank after the new year to have a food source. I'm going to use Siporax in there for a place for the bacteria to settle.

TY Stinky. I am running an AC 110 for filtration. In the 75 G FW Tank.

I Have the Sponge Material on the Bottom, next is Carbon and Ceramic Bio rings on top.

Replace the ceramics with Siporax, it makes a HUGE difference. I thought it was a load of crap, but the porosity in this stuff makes a world of difference for aerobic and aerobic bacterial settlement.

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56

Hey folks. Here is an Almost October FTS Pics and other Pics.

Got a Zoanthid and a Purple tip Octospawn from SaltCritters today. :wub:

So, here we go ;)

New Zoas

IKLfrl.jpg

hvPjWx.jpg

ab0LTD.jpg

Here is 1 fair pic of the Octospawn.

6N22rg.jpg

And now the FTS and other pics :)

6epJ22.jpg

mMMIiG.jpg

MCMzv2.jpg

1kxWFB.jpg

ldMPOk.jpg

c6FkqG.jpg

Thank you all :):oB)

was that Trachy expensive? It's a beauty! That bubble coral makes me sad :(

was that Trachy expensive? It's a beauty! That bubble coral makes me sad :(

lol! I had to Google that ;)

I think we paid 65 or maybe 85. Been awhile.

BTW, Thank You :)

Cencalfishguy56

lol! I had to Google that ;)

I think we paid 65 or maybe 85. Been awhile.

BTW, Thank You :)

lol I should have said open brain coral? ;) but not mad I really wanted a blue, white and red one but $100 was a nail biter for me haha
  • Like 1

lol I should have said open brain coral? ;) but not mad I really wanted a blue, white and red one but $100 was a nail biter for me haha

I Certainly hear you Loud an Clar on that.

Yeah, aside from the Bubble Coral, the Open Brain certainly takes 2nd place for us ;)

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56

I Certainly hear you Loud an Clar on that.

Yeah, aside from the Bubble Coral, the Open Brain certainly takes 2nd place for us ;)

yea I can see why, it is certainly a stunning piece! :)

• Like 1

I also love your open brain coral. Actually all your coral look full and happy. The tank is looking great!

I always liked damsels even though some folks hate on them. The ones that are that electric blue color are especially my favorites.

• Like 1

I also love your open brain coral. Actually all your coral look full and happy. The tank is looking great!

I always liked damsels even though some folks hate on them. The ones that are that electric blue color are especially my favorites.

TY Vlangel :) Yes, Shar loves the Damsels for sure. Nice color "Splash" and how "Zippy" they are :)

We have 2 Blue Yellow tails, 2- 4 Stripes and the Dottyback. I have to lol at Shar sometimes. I Know she doesn't quite fully understand Coral Activity. Like this morn, she was concerned that the Brain was shrunken. I try to explain that the Coral(s) will close up at night and expand during the day.

The New Octospawn is Beautiful! It is fully open this Morn. I have some pics of it.

I Think this is the best quality pic I have of it, so far.

wO6YaF.jpg

Top Down. IMO, Another Nice Pic.

QvMeJt.jpg

And a Top down Pic of the Torch.

hMpRK6.jpg

TY all for for viewing and the Feedback :)

• Like 2

I think I missed something. What hap'd to the bubble coral??

I wish we knew. Still hanging in there...it had 1 bubble inflated this morn.

I have a Thread about it in the Coral Forum.

Edit:

All the other Corals seem fine.

Edited by Astinus

This is what I've heard about bubbles. I always want one cuz they are really pretty and cool, but are difficult to keep healthy. After seeing that you kept your vibrant for quite awhile, I was thinking about getting one. Sigh, another dream squashed :(

Rest of the tank looks great BTW.

If my memory serves me, I think I was told that Bubbles, Long term, don't make it. *Sigh*

This 1 was doing so well and then, 1 morning, it looked like chit :(

This is what I've heard about bubbles. I always want one cuz they are really pretty and cool, but are difficult to keep healthy. After seeing that you kept your vibrant for quite awhile, I was thinking about getting one. Sigh, another dream squashed :(

Yeah Penny. I really thought I would have been the exception.

I fed it Spirulina Brine and Mysis shrimp every Morn. Just don't know what happened :(

TY for the compliment Penny. I think the Tank looks good too. But, I also see areas that need work.

Algae. BUT, it isn't that bad.

I guess I am liking how I have the rocks on the right, looks like they are going up a slope.

Midway up that Slope are my Duncans and just above them I have a Zoa Garden.