Pod Your Reef

Starting A Temperate Pico

YaBoyLaj

So, I've always been intrigued with temperate/pico combos. Now that I've been reefing for almost 8 years and have been doing my research, i think I'm ready. Definitely want to keep it roughly around 10 gallons. Sadly, micro-reefs is not available, so i have to find an alternative acrylic pico. I will be using a Chill Solutions CSXC-1 chiller for temperature and the rocks will be hand collected. Sadly, coldwater marine is currently down as well :( and i can't collect from la jolla, ill have to again, find an alternative. Definitely want strawberry and jewel nems and possibly a small plumose. Since it would be a small system, fish would be fairly limited, so probably catalina gobies are my best bet. This project will take place over the next couple months so ill try to stay updated lol :rolleyes: + any suggestions help!

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

So, I've always been intrigued with temperate/pico combos. Now that I've been reefing for almost 8 years and have been doing my research, i think I'm ready. Definitely want to keep it roughly around 10 gallons. Sadly, micro-reefs is not available, so i have to find an alternative acrylic pico. I will be using a Chill Solutions CSXC-1 chiller for temperature and the rocks will be hand collected. Sadly, coldwater marine is currently down as well :( and i can't collect from la jolla, ill have to again, find an alternative. Definitely want strawberry and jewel nems and possibly a small plumose. Since it would be a small system, fish would be fairly limited, so probably catalina gobies are my best bet. This project will take place over the next couple months so ill try to stay updated lol :rolleyes: + any suggestions help!

I am still alive my reefing friend! In fact, I am bringing back only two of my best cold water systems ever, the 2 gallon AIO and our 7.2 gallon AIO.

Did you see my gallery of all temperate pictures of what you are to explore if you get bitten by the cold water bug?

Here check it out....

http://micro-reefs.com/gallery.html

I'm interested in watching you build this. I've never seen a cold water setup in process before; I have a tropical, but I may want a cold water tank eventually. Following!

My husband and I visited the Seattle Aquarium this weekend, and I was thoroughly impressed by the PNW displays. Strawberry anemones were definitely gorgeous. Do you know the name of the small, bright orange nems that are also common to the Pacific coast?

I'm interested in watching you build this. I've never seen a cold water setup in process before; I have a tropical, but I may want a cold water tank eventually. Following!

My husband and I visited the Seattle Aquarium this weekend, and I was thoroughly impressed by the PNW displays. Strawberry anemones were definitely gorgeous. Do you know the name of the small, bright orange nems that are also common to the Pacific coast?

lol sorry to say i don't know about the orange nems haha, and i look forward to it too! Thanks! :D

Let me know if you need help finding anything, I still have lots of contacts and resources for temperate livestock :) Including how you can legally collect in CA.

Heck, there is even a guy selling temperate livestock down in CA on ebay ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bat-Starfish-live-/121914754143?hash=item1c62af845f:g:ZnMAAOSwNyFWe0wP

Awesome! Good prices too! Thanks! :lol:

Ah, after a bit of research, I think the little guys I saw at the aquarium were orange cup corals, not anemones. But not the Tubastrea species, but rather Balanophyllia:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Orange_cup_coral_(Balanophyllia_elegans)_01.jpg

They really were impressive en masse, and of a size that would easily work in a pico tank. :)

Ive always wanted a colony of those, one day haha

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

You might become broke but having that system is just intense once your feet get cold they never get warm again. Lol

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

:P

Wanted to let you know that if you still want the temperate system, I DECIDED TO RUN MY SPECIAL UNTIL THE END OF MARCH!

P.S

DO YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA ON ON OUR PACIFIC COAST?

Wanted to let you know that if you still want the temperate system, I DECIDED TO RUN MY SPECIAL UNTIL THE END OF MARCH!

P.S

DO YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA ON ON OUR PACIFIC COAST?

Yep In SoCal and YES ABSOLUTELY! I just need a bit more money ;)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Yep In SoCal and YES ABSOLUTELY! I just need a bit more money ;)

No worries,

Just to let all know, if you want to secure the price on the sale after the end of March, send me a PM and I can invoice you with a partial payment and when you finish paying off the system you want I ship it to your house..... JFYI ;)

Well, I'm both happy and sad, i can collect some inverts, but most of the interesting things seem to be up in oregon. Plus i wanted a pacific spiny lumpsucker or grunt sculpin but not only are they really pricey but are also pretty tough to keep... idk

AquaticEngineer

Here's the specifics on what you can collect down there :) Make sure you get your sport fishing license, and remember no live fish can be taken in CA.

The highlighted RED species are ones you CAN take, just observe the bag limit and collect in areas you can legally take from (ie: no marine preserves, etc)

Here is a link to the full regulations that this excerpt was taken from:

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=116558&inline

29.05. GENERAL.

(a) Except as provided in this article there are no closed seasons, closed hours or minimum size limits

for any invertebrate. The bag limit on all invertebrates for which the take is authorized and for which

there is not a bag limit otherwise established in this article is 35. In San Francisco and San Pablo bays

and saltwater tributaries east of the Golden Gate Bridge invertebrates may not be taken at night except

from the shore.

( Take of all invertebrates is prohibited within state marine reserves. Take of certain invertebrates

may be prohibited within state marine parks and state marine conservation areas as per sub-section

632( . In addition, tidal invertebrates may not be taken in any tidepool or other areas between the

high tide mark (defined as Mean Higher High Tide) and 1,000 feet seaward and lateral to the low tide

mark (defined as Mean Lower Low Water) except as follows:

(1) Except where prohibited within state marine reserves, state marine parks, state marine conservation

areas, or other special closures only the following may be taken: red abalone, limpets, moon

snails, turban snails, chiones, clams, cockles, mussels, rock scallops, native oysters, octopuses, squid,

crabs, lobsters, shrimp, sand dollars, sea urchins and worms except that no worms may be taken in any

mussel bed, unless taken incidental to the harvesting of mussels.

© Measuring Devices. Every person while taking invertebrates which have a size limit shall carry a

device which is capable of accurately measuring the minimum legal size of the species taken.

(d) In all ocean waters skin and Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus (SCUBA) divers

may take invertebrates as provided in this article except that in all ocean waters north of Yankee Point

(Monterey Co.), SCUBA may be used only to take sea urchins, rock scallops and crabs of the genus

Cancer. For the purpose of this section, breathing tubes (snorkels) are not SCUBA.

AquaticEngineer

Nope :( Only the things listed above or those that you can take with a sport fishing license. Anemones and Corals cannot be taken.

There is some room for dispute on that within the current wording about them being taken from 1000ft off shore below the tide line, but its vague at best.

IF however you were to harvest Scallops using SCUBA within the law, you would be harvesting the entire scallop which would be yours, including anything that happens to be growing on the shell of the scallop.

AquaticEngineer

You can also get marine algae for your nano :)

30.00. KELP GENERAL.

(a) Except as provided in this section and in Section 30.10 there is no closed season, closed hours

or minimum size limit for any species of marine aquatic plant. The daily bag limit on all marine aquatic

plants for which the take is authorized, except as provided in Section 28.60, is 10 pounds wet weight

in the aggregate.

(B) Marine aquatic plants may not be cut or harvested in state marine reserves. Regulations within

state marine conservation areas and state marine parks may prohibit cutting or harvesting of marine

aquatic plants per sub-section 632(B).

30.10. PROHIBITED SPECIES. No eel grass (Zostera), surf grass (Phyllospadix), or sea palm (Postelsia)

may be cut or disturbed.

lol idk how to even get some things i want like a blue porcelain crab or some types of shrimp that I've wanted for a while but i need the tank first , then livestock

AquaticEngineer

lol idk how to even get some things i want like a blue porcelain crab or some types of shrimp that I've wanted for a while but i need the tank first , then livestock

Porcelain crabs will be found in rocky areas like jetties and breakwaters below the high tide line. If you go out at a low tide and flip a couple rocks you'll find them :)

Your best bet for most shrimp are on docks or piers. Took me about 5 minutes to get 50-60 shrimp just netting on the underside of a boat dock walking along next to it in my waders. I think my legal limit is like 10lbs in the shell, lol.

You can also get marine algae for your nano :)

30.00. KELP GENERAL.

(a) Except as provided in this section and in Section 30.10 there is no closed season, closed hours

or minimum size limit for any species of marine aquatic plant. The daily bag limit on all marine aquatic

plants for which the take is authorized, except as provided in Section 28.60, is 10 pounds wet weight

in the aggregate.

( B) Marine aquatic plants may not be cut or harvested in state marine reserves. Regulations within

state marine conservation areas and state marine parks may prohibit cutting or harvesting of marine

aquatic plants per sub-section 632( B).

30.10. PROHIBITED SPECIES. No eel grass (Zostera), surf grass (Phyllospadix), or sea palm (Postelsia)

may be cut or disturbed.

So knowing that you have definitely have had a ton of experience with this stuff, what are some things that you would suggest for a temperate pico? :happydance:

OH! and one more thing, how should i transport these? I work at my lfs and have gotten pretty good with bagging, so should i bag them then put them in a cooler with some sea water to keep them cold or some other method? I've actually fallen in love with ur guy's vid "a day in the life of CWMA" and saw that you ran some air tubes into a cooler with the goods

Archived