Softies, Gorgs, LPS  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Leathers only
    • Softies including leathers
    • Gorgonians
    • LPS

jedimasterben

Thanks for the input Stella. Just doing some research right now. Really want a carnation :wub: , But I guess that's a no-no :( . I love the fiji yellows when I see pictures of them, but at the LFS the colors are always disappointing (more tan than yellow). Also been warned that a lot of the really yellow ones are actually dyed and will rapidly lose their color. Makes me hesitant until I can be more confident in what I'm getting.

You can pretty easily tell a dyed from a legit Fiji yellow. The dyed one are a highlighter yellow in color, they'll look to similar to these dyed Heteractis sebae nems.

dyed-anemones1.jpg

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can pretty easily tell a dyed from a legit Fiji yellow. The dyed one are a highlighter yellow in color, they'll look to similar to these dyed Heteractis sebae nems.

dyed-anemones1.jpg

people dye anemones???? :( That's awful.

Sharbuckle

Does anybody have a large colony of Alveopora? I bought a frag and i'm not sure where to place it. I'd love to see what it grows into.

jedimasterben

Does anybody have a large colony of Alveopora? I bought a frag and i'm not sure where to place it. I'd love to see what it grows into.

They typically mound similarly to Goniopora, but there are several different species and many different strains that all can have wildly different growth patterns.

Sharbuckle

They typically mound similarly to Goniopora, but there are several different species and many different strains that all can have wildly different growth patterns.

I suppose ill just keep an eye on it. Seems really happy at the bottom of the tank so i'll leave it be.

I have two frags - both about an inch. Both I have on the sand bed - one expands to about 8" totally open and one about 3" totally open, so they'll do different things. I have them in medium to low flow and target feed them cyclops a few times a week along with some other filter feeder stuff that I broadcast feed. While they're photosynthetic, they need the addition of food that they can eat (smaller particle, etc.) in order to thrive/survive.

does anybody have a favorite place that they buy leathers?

I don't have one favorite place, but I've had good luck on Live Aquaria, with Glenn at Coral Gardens Aquaculture and with Vivid Aquariums. Flowermama has bought some leathers from Ebay and reach out to Stinkybunny (aka dirty hare) as he sells them as well.

So some of my "Branching Briarium" has been growing horizontally over my sand from a rock structure in an attempt to get more light. I think the resulting growth looks pretty cool over my sand bed. It has made an overhang of sorts and my Cleaner Shrimp has been hanging upside down from the branches and the Pajama Cardinal has been hovering under it. Here are a couple pictures:

Z8HEhEF.jpg

C0Ru0oF.jpg

So some of my "Branching Briarium" has been growing horizontally over my sand from a rock structure in an attempt to get more light. I think the resulting growth looks pretty cool over my sand bed. It has made an overhang of sorts and my Cleaner Shrimp has been hanging upside down from the branches and the Pajama Cardinal has been hovering under it. Here are a couple pictures:

Z8HEhEF.jpg

C0Ru0oF.jpg

That's very cool!!!

FlowerMama

It looks great like that. I still haven't decided where to put mine yet. So it's in the back right now, it fell off the rock it was on and I hadn't picked it up yet.

My zoanthid collection grows! Hurray for softies image_45.jpeg

Those look awesome! I really like those blue and green ones.

What kind of angel do you have that picks on your lobo? I was considering a flame or coral beauty cuz they usually pick on lps and sps most often.

My Lemonpeel angel periodically picks at my lobophytum as well as capnella and sinularia. I've even seen him occasionally nip my sarcophyton elegans. No real damage has been done though I removed the lobophytum for a couple of weeks. Upon reintroduction they seem to be safe, go figure. The Lemonpeel occasionally tears up some briarium. I see these little fluorescent green particles suspended in the water column right after he does his thing. I'm convinced there is a lifetime supply of softies for this beautiful fish to harass. So far zoanthids and coralimorpharia arent on the menu.

FlowerMama

My Lemonpeel angel periodically picks at my lobophytum as well as capnella and sinularia. I've even seen him occasionally nip my sarcophyton elegans. No real damage has been done though I removed the lobophytum for a couple of weeks. Upon reintroduction they seem to be safe, go figure. The Lemonpeel occasionally tears up some briarium. I see these little fluorescent green particles suspended in the water column right after he does his thing. I'm convinced there is a lifetime supply of softies for this beautiful fish to harass. So far zoanthids and coralimorpharia arent on the menu.

Interesting, I thought it would be opposite, that zoas would've been on the menu. I can understand with something like gsp and the little protrusions from leather polyps. Hoping to keep my pygmy happy with food & hope he doesn't bother too much. If he does he will join the 6line in Gertie's tank. Don't have one yet, apparently it's a seasonal thing and babies aren't available yet.

Hammerstone

I'm hoping it gets to the point of being too big for my tank! :happydance:

OMG that Duncan is beautiful!!! How are they as pets? Are they peaceful or aggressive? Are they anenomes or corals?

Archived