Softies, Gorgs, LPS  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Leathers only
    • Softies including leathers
    • Gorgonians
    • LPS

Hammerstone

LOL no it's not my video but that place is 5 mins from where I live so I take pictures there all the time!

The store also has a Clownfish that looks like it has a money symbol on its side! It's a pretty awesome LFS.

3uKZyxW.png

gorgeous clown and tank!!! What is the blue stuff, and the green stuff? I love the dollar sign!!!?
  • Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gorgeous clown and tank!!! What is the blue stuff, and the green stuff? I love the dollar sign!!!

IDK, But it kind of looks like some kind of Acan to me.

AdriftQuasar

LPS are far and away my favorite corals and I have a few pictures to share of the ones I'm luck enough to keep:

evvoL2y.jpg

UPc5Dba.jpg

jTLL1XC.jpg

6wKYiDI.jpg

PNsLItB.jpg

3tctn2E.jpg

87bIHJh.jpg

But I'd say I have decent variety over all:

Kv9C54s.jpg

StinkyBunny

makes me want to get a baby foxface too but LFS always carry big ones only.

Right now the only place shipping any smalls is Fiji and the only ones I like out of there are their Orange spot rabbitfish. You have to remember that the seasons are reversed from ours, smalls are available in our spring to summer after they drop out of the plankton.

attached to base rock, but i can move the anemone. It's back to normal now and doesn't look any worse for the wear so i think I'm going to just keep an eye on it for now

shroom is one of the oldest corals in the tank (3+ years). Added two new favia frags, a shrimp and an emerald crab yesterday, but none of that is near it. Stella suggested the tube anemone that is near it but that has been there for several weeks. IDK. just going to watch. If it happens again I will move the anemone

If you have something ANYWHERE near a Cerianthus anemone, move it YESTERDAY!! Those things are deadly to anything in a 6" radius.

Stinkybunny, if you read this, this is a formal request for your build thread so I can put it in the index :D

I'm working on it. I'm trying to bring 2 more QT systems online so I can get you guys the cool stuff without having to make a blood sacrifice. :D Once the second bank of 40 breeders is online I'll have time. today was fill it and adjust the salinity and get the flow dialed in. Tomorrow I need to figure out some sort of lighting for it.

ReefWeeds

Playing around with the settings on my camera and took what I feel are two post worthy pics.

26757638256_6b8599ee7d_z.jpgIMG_3200 by Penny, on Flickr

26715150111_5b3824f4d3_z.jpgIMG_3211 by Penny, on Flickr

Also, can anybody help me identify and get rid of this Algae

26715150241_c46cd2c743_z.jpgIMG_3205 by Penny, on Flickr

Nice photos, Penny!!

The algae looks like bryopsis to me. Is it on something small that you can take out of the tank or on a main rock - it's really hard to get rid of and can spread so if you can toss what it's on, that might be the best bet. Or if small enough, try plucking and covering the whole area with superglue.

StinkyBunny

That is indeed bryopsis algae. There's only 1 thing I've ever seen eat it and that's an Orange Spot rabbitfish. The one I have has done mine in. Purple tangs will pick at it a little bit if there's nothing else to be had.

Nice pictures too.

That is indeed bryopsis algae. There's only 1 thing I've ever seen eat it and that's an Orange Spot rabbitfish. The one I have has done mine in. Purple tangs will pick at it a little bit if there's nothing else to be had.

Nice pictures too.

I was afraid that it's bryopsis :furious: The pic that I took is just a small portion that I was able to get a decent picture of. Unfortunately I have it in several locations at this point, mostly on pretty major pieces of rock. If I take the rock out and try to scrape it off will it just come back even stronger. I'll have to research orange spot rabbit fish

ReefWeeds

SquishyFishy's Bio Cube Planet

Great video and beautiful tank!! What are the white puffballs on the monti cap?

According to liveaquaria, orange spot rabbitfish require a minimum tank same of 180 gallons. Blue zoo aquatics is a little more generous stating only 100 gallon is adequate. Might push the limit just a tad by putting one in my 29! Oh, what the heck? I'll get 2!

How do you get your torch and monti to stick on the walls. Really cool. Beautiful tank and video. Thanks for sharing

StinkyBunny

I have 4 in QT in a 40B and they're happy as clams for the time being. There's a guy coming this weekend to pick them up, he has a 220g tank so they'll be more happierer in there. :D You can try getting a decent pair of stainless tweezers and pluck it off.

jedimasterben

There are some very small (2-3") doliatus rabbits available right now, just starting to flow in, they're one of the best looking rabbits IMHO. I just put one in my 40.

Not liking what I'm reading about bryopsis. Must.Take.Action.Now!

There are some very small (2-3") doliatus rabbits available right now, just starting to flow in, they're one of the best looking rabbits IMHO. I just put one in my 40.

Where would I find one, and will that species also eat bryopsis? Otherwise I guess it's time to start raising my magnesium.

jedimasterben

Not liking what I'm reading about bryopsis. Must.Take.Action.Now!

Where would I find one, and will that species also eat bryopsis? Otherwise I guess it's time to start raising my magnesium.

Pretty much any rabbitfish will - they are voracious herbivores, I'd put them on par with urchins in that regard, though they don't quite leave the rock squeaky clean white when they're done lol.

As for using Kent Tech M (just raising magnesium using other brands won't work), that only seems to help with specific species of bryopsis, and that's something there is little data on. I have Bryopsis pennata in my system, and Kent Tech M has not worked on it over three separate treatments.

SquishyFishy

The dinner plate monti has a stem that I stuck in a frag hole on a magnet mini shelf I got online. I put the torch in one too. Had to utilize the space better this way. They are beasts.

The double bubble is a bounce mushroom.

FlowerMama

I remember Squishy saying those were bubbles from her bounce mushroom I think.

I love how close you took us in there, I thought you were going to hit the bta!

Hammerstone

that is an awesome video and a beautiful tank. That's super cool with the corals on the wall.???

Archived