Innovative Marine Aquariums

Quality Ph booster

Grantlewis1983

Grantlewis1983

What brand is a good ph booster, my ph is stable 8.0 but want to raise it. Any highly recommend brands or products? Thx.

CronicReefer

What brand is a good ph booster, my ph is stable 8.0 but want to raise it. Any highly recommend brands or products? Thx.

The only way to increase pH without changing the water chemistry is to increase O2 saturation which is not that easy. If your pH is a stable 8.0 don't worry about it, chasing pH is a common mistake many people make and is not something worth bothering with. Unless it drops below 7.7 for any length of time I wouldn't even be concerned

Simulated Fish

The only way to increase pH without changing the water chemistry is to increase O2 saturation which is not that easy. If your pH is a stable 8.0 don't worry about it, chasing pH is a common mistake many people make and is not something worth bothering with. Unless it drops below 7.7 for any length of time I wouldn't even be concerned

+1028373839 pH is something you never want to mess with directly unless you have no other choice.

rone_kevin66

+1028373839 pH is something you never want to mess with directly unless you have no other choice.

I'll add a + to that as well. Don't chase phone as long as you in in 7.8 to 8.3 and your calcium and alk are stable and in space you will be good
HarryPotter

Not "Ph", its "pH". potentia Hydrogenii.

But yeah doesn't really matter, make sure you have nice gas exchange and that your home isn't too "stale"

Grantlewis1983

Awesome sounds good I'm content. Am now zero, nitrite is zero, and just a trace of nitrates currently. So things are looking well. I'm still waiting on a reef test kit to arrive to check that other stuff. Thx for the inputs!

I will pile on to this ... I have in occasion during the night the pH falling to 7.7 or so. That is the lowest that I have seen. During the day it will hover around 8.1 max. The variation is usually within the 0.2 range?

My alk is around around 7.7~7.8. I could raise it 9 but see no reason since I have decent growth and other parameters are stable.

Should I be concerned on pH going below 7.8 on occasions?

Provided coral growth is good and alk and calcium are good pH chasing is typically a bad thing. Mostly because there's nothing you can do about it anyways other than opening windows, etc.

My own opinion is alk should be higher in a small tank because of the rate it's consumed (~9 dKH average). If it's not being gobbled up quickly in a small tank I'm not convinced you have good growth. My 10gal softie tanks will devour up to half a point of dKH per day.

I add kalk directly to my tanks nightly to take the edge off pH swings, and I've found it seriously helps all around growth and moderates pH dives at night.

Not chasing nos here.. Lower ph makes it difficult for calcification. As for alk .. Am already dosing 3 ml a day. Right now am going to leave it like that because all is now stable at 7.9 ~8.0 after increasing dosing.

As I said I never tried setting ALK at 9 .. If there is any proof that alk 9 results in better growth then I guess I need to read and then follow suit. So far I have decent growth .. (Noticeable every week).

It also seems the increased dosage has boosted ph levels also. It is wavering around 8.1~ 7.9 from day to night so so far so good.

I also noticed and have read that ideally the amount of Ca and alk dosed usually is equal but my tank consumption is not even. I am dosing 7 ml of CA and 3 ml of alk.

Archived